Thread: 2002 Camaro LS1

'09 Cadillac CTS4
    '12 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2

2002 Camaro LS1

I recently was shown what was said to be one of several special 2002 GM exec driven Camaros LS1's. The owner said he got it from a MN Chevy dealer whom he had know for many years. The dealer told him back in circa 2002-03 that several GM Exec driven special 2002 Camaros were available and he could get one of them. All were loaded with the LS1 performance engine BUT were neither a Z28 or a SS. He said the dealer told him back then that this car was not available to be ordered and only a few existed configured like this. I seen the car and its all original. Black paint, black interior, A/T, LS1, no SS or Z28 emblems, no fancy wheels. Just looks like a everyday Camaro but the wider tires and stealth dual exhaust say Z28 but nothing on the car says Z28 or SS. I seem to recall the dual exhaust outlets where Z28 style but were black. Claims the car has not been touched.

The owner is now in his 80's, wealthy and rarely drives the car and has no intention of selling it. Has very low miles, somewhere in the teens was mentioned. The current owner has been F-body lover since the first one hit the showroom and has ownedr both Firebirds and Camaros over the years.

I have never seen or heard of a 02 Camaro like this but wondering if it was available or as special as he said the dealer told him it was.
    Last edited by ZZ71; 06-23-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I would be interested to see the RPO sticker on the door panel. Sounds like a COPO-type deal, but I'm not aware of any 4th-gen COPO cars (other than the '02 ZL1 concept car). Maybe somebody with closer ties to GM can shed some light on the subject.

Any chance you can get a picture of the RPO sticker on the driver door? If so, post it up. I'd be interested to see it (as I'm sure others would be, too). Sounds interesting.
    Last edited by FinZ28; 06-23-2012 at 04:22 AM.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Nothing comes to mind...

If you can get a VIN, I can run it and see.

Also, welcome fellow Michigander

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Nothing comes to mind...

If you can get a VIN, I can run it and see.

Also, welcome fellow Michigander
    Hopefully you can shed some more light on the subject, Andy. Personally, I'm thinking it's a debadged Z28.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    Hopefully you can shed some more light on the subject, Andy. Personally, I'm thinking it's a debadged Z28.
    That does make sense. The story is intriguing, but this car has supposedly been out for 10 years and none of us have heard about it? Makes you wonder. And so much could happen in that time frame as far as modifications, without documentation, it's just a story.

'09 Cadillac CTS4

Beyond that I know nothing. Like you all I was wondering about it too. I walked around the car, looked it over closely and there was nothing on the car that said Z28 or SS but it had the LS1. The car looks brand new still. It may well be a debadged Z28 but it must have been done by Chevrolet as he says it as it came and that it was a car built for GM exec's and only a few were made like this. Btw - It was a hardtop, not T-Top.

There were other vehicles on display at the company function and I think they just put the Camaro in there because the President of the company owned it.

I was with a business colleague and emailed him to see if he took some pics by chance. Always has his phone in his hand.

PS - I owned a 2002 Trans Am WS6 so I am a little familar with the cars.

There is no way I would be able to get a VIN or rpo info and likely will never see the car again. If the old man does not drive it, no one drives it.
    Last edited by ZZ71; 06-23-2012 at 06:51 AM.
    2012 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L
    2009 Cadillac CTS4 Performance Sedan

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ71 View Post
    Beyond that I know nothing. Like you all I was wondering about it too. I walked around the car, looked it over closely and there was nothing on the car that said Z28 or SS but it had the LS1. The car looks brand new still. It may well be a debadged Z28 but it must have been done by Chevrolet as he says it as it came and that it was a car built for GM exec's and only a few were made like this. Btw - It was a hardtop, not T-Top.

There were other vehicles on display at the company function and I think they just put the Camaro in there because the President of the company owned it.

I was with a business colleague and emailed him to see if he took some pics by chance. Always has his phone in his hand.

PS - I owned a 2002 Trans Am WS6 so I am a little familar with the cars.

There is no way I would be able to get a VIN or rpo info and likely will never see the car again. If the old man does not drive it, no one drives it.
    Where about was this located? And who's collection was it?

My curiosity is running wild.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

'09 Cadillac CTS4

It in the Duluth, MN area. Its owned by the President of AMSOIL Inc.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

It in the Duluth, MN area. Its owned by the President of AMSOIL Inc.
    Damn... I thought since you were from MI it was going to be a MI collection. And I've seen most of the impressive MI car collections.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I talked to Scott Settlemire online regarding the possibility of this vehicle existing and he said it did not exist. He also pointed out that it might be a B4C (police interceptor). I don't believe they would have any badges on them, either.

'09 Cadillac CTS4

They are having a 40th aniversay celebration next July (2013) and maybe the car will be on display again. I wlll be sure to get pic of the rpo tag and VIN. Other than that, the B4C might be what the car is, never thought of that.

I really don't think the owner knows or cares, he got to be in his late 80's.

Here is a pic of the owner, the guy in the middle, his son on left and s'nl on right. Chances are the son will get his hands on it, he also owns some classic GM cars and drives a newer suburban.
    Last edited by ZZ71; 06-24-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Every generation has it's own stories of super low production muscle cars and this is one of them. Some are true and some are not. In my day it was four door 426 Hemi cars built in 1966. Nobody had ever seen one until two showed up at Don Garlets museum with documentation as special order FBI cars. This may be a great find, I hope the owner will let someone else enjoy the car some time in the future.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

'09 Cadillac CTS4

I found some info that says 704 2002 Camaros were built with B4C and were basically Z28's w/o badging with some suspension upgrades. I found some old posts on someone selling one on camaro5.

This B4C Camaro was originally part of a fleet order for a major university, but never went into law enforcement service. It was first sold to a Camaro collector who owned the car from 2002 to 2007. In that time period, he only put 400 miles on the vehicle.
    PS - Now I got the bug to get one of these cars, B4C, all black really looked good but that may be whats rare. In my days we called them sleepers, no one thought you had a fast car till you left them in the dust.
    Last edited by ZZ71; 06-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I found some info that says 704 2002 Camaros were built with B4C and were basically Z28's w/o badging with some suspension upgrades. I found some old posts on someone selling one on camaro5.

PS - Now I got the bug to get one of these cars, B4C, all black really looked good but that may be whats rare. In my days we called them sleepers, no one thought you had a fast car till you left them in the dust.
    Look at a 1969 ZL1 Camaro or a 1964 Max Wedge Polara. You would think they were straight 6, 3 speed grocery getters until you put the hammer down. I love sleepers. I am going to keep my eye out for the B4C option. Should not be hard to spot. Looks like a black 6 cyl. with alot of GO.

Thread Information