Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

2001 Z28 Upgrades?

I recently purchased a 2001 Z28 and I see that there are alot of upgrades to it, but I don't know if they were optional upgrades from the factory or what. What is the best way to determine what's been done? It has the SLP cold air intake and long tube headers with a cat-back exhaust. It appears to have the LS6 intake (flat-bottomed, I think). How can I find out about the heads and the cam? I'm looking to upgrade the top end as much as possible.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

where/who did you buy it from? perhaps they can give you more info on the car's history. i dont konw that there were any special z28's from the factory, so i'm sure everything is aftermarket. the 01-02's did come factory with LS6's. Listen to the car at idle-if it's really "lope-y" then you have a bigger cam.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

It's not lopey, but it will haul a!!. By the way, I put royal purple in it. I live in Florida and the guy at the shop told me to run 10-40 in the summer and 10-30 in the winter. Is that alright 'cause I listened to him. I used a K&N oil filter. I'm curious about the car and don't have enough info. I bought it at a reputable Cadillac dealership in my hometown, but it has a few miles on it ( 103,000). Are the LS1's durable or shortlived.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
    It's not lopey, but it will haul a!!. By the way, I put royal purple in it. I live in Florida and the guy at the shop told me to run 10-40 in the summer and 10-30 in the winter. Is that alright 'cause I listened to him. I used a K&N oil filter. I'm curious about the car and don't have enough info. I bought it at a reputable Cadillac dealership in my hometown, but it has a few miles on it ( 103,000). Are the LS1's durable or shortlived.
    The LS1s are very durable as long as they are properly maintained. Keep your oil level good and change your oil every 3k miles.

You should have 241 casting heads, you can look for the "241" on the driver side head right behind the power steering pump.

Sounds like the previous owner did most of the bolt on mods for you. Post some pics of it if you have some.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I will post some pictures soon. Does anyone no the base horse power for the Z28 that year? I read that the 2001 SS had about 320hp. What about the Z28? With the headers and intake, surely I should be more than 305hp, shouldn't I. I have a '85 Jag XJS that runs about 300 and this girl blows that away.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I will post some pictures soon. Does anyone no the base horse power for the Z28 that year? I read that the 2001 SS had about 320hp. What about the Z28? With the headers and intake, surely I should be more than 305hp, shouldn't I. I have a '85 Jag XJS that runs about 300 and this girl blows that away.
    The SS, Z28, WS6 and TA all run the same LS1, there is no real difference in HP. GM way underrated the fbody LS1. Typically the fbody LS1 was more like 350HP at the motor.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

That seems to be alot more realistic. The mechanic that changed the oil and pinion seal said it looked like some aftermarket work was done to the framework.(swaybars and stuff) I'm just not that familiar with these cars enough to no what they came with from the factory.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Also, with headers/catback, you are probably putting 330-340 HP to wheels. Headers generally add about 20 RWHP to the LS1's.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Does anyone know what the "dump" on the exhaust will do if I take off the cap? The dealer said it would be extremely noisy, but give it more starting off power.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Does anyone know what the "dump" on the exhaust will do if I take off the cap? The dealer said it would be extremely noisy, but give it more starting off power.
    Probably a cutout.
    This would make the car very loud and might give you a little power. You could always put it back on.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Switch to electric one.........easier to open and close when you're got the switch in the cockpit

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Try and hook up with one of the local Camaro clubs in your area and learn as much as you can about your new ride.......................and don't be afraid to ask questions...............there is alot of knowledge on this site.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Does anybody know of a club close to Gainesville, Fl.? I live about forty miles from there. I could use some help taking care of a few things I want to do and I could use some info on a quality performance shop in the area. I believe I have just been burned for an overtightened pinion nut that has screwed my pinion gears up by the local shop here in Lake City.

Thread Information