2000 Z28 w/short in radio/pwr window circuit

This is a discussion on 2000 Z28 w/short in radio/pwr window circuit within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; My 00 Z28 has the deluxe Bose package. Lately, when I start the car up cold (I'm in the S.F. ...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

2000 Z28 w/short in radio/pwr window circuit

My 00 Z28 has the deluxe Bose package. Lately, when I start the car up cold (I'm in the S.F. Bay Area, so "cold" is a relative term) the radio will come on and then just shut down. It goes black and will not respond to the on/off switch. If I hit a bump it will come back on. No resetting of time or stations required. It might shut back down a second or third time, but eventually stays on. When the radio is down I noticed that my power windows also don't work. I assume they are on the same circuit. BTW, this is a very intermittant problem. It only happens once in a while. I probably couldn't demonstrate it to a mechanic or electrical guy. Once the car is warmed up the radio (and windows) work just fine. This leads me to assume that the problem is related to a cracked solder joint. When the joint warms up it expands and the short goes away. Does anyone know what other systems might be on this circuit? I could confirm the circuit problem if I had another item to check besides the windows. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be, or have you experienced this before?

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Many people have this problem. It is usually a bad solder joint in the bcm. It is located near the glove box. Here is a thread with some info. http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php...ght=bcm+solder

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Thanks for the lead. I probably should have conducted a search before asking my question.

Thread Information