Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1999 z28 First Car?

This is a discussion on 1999 z28 First Car? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; wait til some asshole dings you in the parking lot...youll wish youd have gotten a beater then......

Adam
    wait til some asshole dings you in the parking lot...youll wish youd have gotten a beater then...

Awaiting Activation BlackBeastLS1's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I started out with an LS1 about a year ago and so far i havent wrecked or even been pulled over, I love my car too much for that and plus insurance is already bad enough as it is. just dont abuse it or do anything stupid and youll be fine.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I disagree with a lot of people on this post, I don't think a beater is the way to go. You drive a beater, and you don't care, so you do stupid things, and cause lots of trouble. Mind you, if you get an LS1, I still say you'll kill yourself and others much more innocent. Get a car you like, a car you love, just not a V8. Hell, get a V8 T-bird if you need the status and compensation of an eight.

And on the note of wanting an LS1 so you have reliable transportation until 2011.... not happening. These cars are no more reliable than anything else when modified. So don't think that getting an LS1 means reliable transportation for 5 years.... though may I once again state that it would be irrelevant, the car wouldn't see 5 months.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

sebring silver
    1999 camaro z28

i got my 99 z28 last year, and i was 16, as long as u can afford the insurance, go for it, but remember there are always those un expected things u cant plan for that will cost money, and drive safe....

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

yeah man that insurance is a beast. My quote is $950 every 6 months on my parents insurance plan. I did a qoute on esurance and it was $1965 every 6 months.
    i think im gonna stick with my parents insurance.
    And it only turns out to be 158 a month so i can afford it. One thing i am worried about is taking it to my high school parking lot. Kinda nervous about people dinging it and backing into it i have seen some nice cars in there though so i might be safe. (G wagon,jaguar,bmw....)
    Funny thing is my car payment is less than my insurance...

Metallic Blue
    01 Camaro SS

Just park away from every1 thats what I do at school i dont care if i have to walk. I would rather walk then park in the front where every1 parks and get all banged up. Besides walkin is good for you so i hear

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

lol be like those people at the mall with porsches and bmws and park in like 3 spaces

sebring silver
    1999 camaro z28

when u park farther away, people know u dont want something to happen to your car, so that wouldnt be a good idea...i went threw a year at highscool with my car, and nothing happened, i think u'll be alright

Black
    1999 Z28

Bad Idea

Hey man,

I am 19 and just got a 1999 Z28 and let me tell you, if I had this car when I was 16 I would have died. I was young and stupid and managed to total a Volkswagon Passat, while getting pulled over by a state trooper for doing 81 in 45. Either way since then I have become a much better driver. My point is I have had a lot of experiance with a RWD platform. My car before this was a Porsche 944 and I have driven my dads '74 Porsche 911 Turbo that is tricked out to the tune of 400rwhp. I also AutoX'ed the 944 from time to time. Pointing being, the LS1 is a handful man, no joke. One wrong move when its wet out and you can kiss the rear end goodbye. I have been driving for 3 and a half years and I still on some levels do not think I am a good enough driver for this car. If you do end up getting the car there is only one peice of advice I can give you, having drivin many high performance cars. Learn to respect the power. If i were you I would find a Formula 350, My dad has an 89 with 89k on the clock with the A4 tranny. That car is a great compromise, its got some juice, but not too much juice to the point where I ever felt unsafe taking it to the max.

Either way, be safe and I hope you get a car that you really enjoy.

- John

Black
    1998 Formula

I may be only 17, but I know that I could not handle a LS1 at 16 right after getting my license. My Dad got me a 94 Firebird 3.4 5 spd when I was 15 so I can learn to drive stick and getting driving experience. I had that V6 for two years, it got a lot of looks and a lot of ppl trying to race it but i knew it was a cow so i never really raced. After 2 years i felt comfortable with a f-body and decided to get the almighty LS1. I have had the car 2 months and so far so good. I would go with the 6 banger to start off. I really learned a lot in that car and on top of that, after owning one, you will find out all the things that go wrong on f-bodys. So when its time to get the LS1 you know the problems to look for. Surprisingly, my insurance for the 94 Firebird to the 98 Formula didnt go up at all

black
    99 camaro ss

im 16 as well and my first car is a 99 ss.... let me tell you the car has a LOT of power.. still in some cases learning it... but it does help driving a v6 first.. we have a 98 camaro v6 that ive drove for about 2 years or so just around about 5 square miles or so around the house (live in the country). that car taught me quiet a bit.. been drivin my ss for about 2 months now and haven't messed it up in anyway... i do tend to speed quiet a bit but trying to break that habit.. not qorkin to well.. but yea i learned a lot driving a v6 and im still not a expert or anything but so far i can handle the car hopefully ill get the chance to take it to the track soon and really see what it'll do.. and a auto really helps to learn to drive with the power.. id say if you really want a ls1 go for the auto so its a little easier to learn in (not as much to do).. but thats just me.

black
    99 camaro ss

im 16 as well and my first car is a 99 ss.... let me tell you the car has a LOT of power.. still in some cases learning it... but it does help driving a v6 first.. we have a 98 camaro v6 that ive drove for about 2 years or so just around about 5 square miles or so around the house (live in the country). that car taught me quiet a bit.. been drivin my ss for about 2 months now and haven't messed it up in anyway... i do tend to speed quiet a bit but trying to break that habit.. not qorkin to well.. but yea i learned a lot driving a v6 and im still not a expert or anything but so far i can handle the car hopefully ill get the chance to take it to the track soon and really see what it'll do.. and a auto really helps to learn to drive with the power.. id say if you really want a ls1 go for the auto so its a little easier to learn in (not as much to do).. haven't raced the car yet.. i dont want to hurt anyone else. so i think ill stick to empty roads with look outs for other cars if i do race on the streets.. but i hope to stick to the track when i get the chance.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28 Camaro

This is my first car, and I handle it just fine. As long as your not a dumbass you'll be fine.

Red
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

LS1 at 16, yeah Right!!!

OK, first things first, thats a HELL OF A DEAL on that car! You wont touch an LS1 car around here for less than 8K. The miles dont scare me at especially at that price!
    Now for the part you dont want to hear: A 16 yr old having an LS1 with no top speed limiter is just asking for trouble. Please listen, I know what Im talking about here! This is coming from someone who has had FIVE 4th gen F-Bodies in the household! My youngest son's first car was a 94 Z28 WITH THE SPEED LIMITER. Anyone that says an LT1 is less dangerous than an LS1 is just uneducated IMHO. An LT1 can mess you up every bit as quick as an LS1. He managed to drive that car almost 2 yrs before he totalled it out hitting a deer AT THE 108MPH speed limiter. His next car was a 98 WS6 6spd. He managed to bang it up some, but a girlfriend convinced him he needed a truck before he could do any MAJOR damage with that one. Currently, hes 20 yrs old and hes back in another F-body again. This time around hes got a 93Z without the limiter. And to answer the question on everyones mind, YES hes already lost control of this one too.
    Currently Ive got a '00 SS m6 which I bought new and a 96 LT1 formula that I just bought a month ago to play with. My whole point being with all this ramble, that a 4th gen Fbody is NOT a good first car!

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

finally got a z
    was gone for a week and when i got home today i opened up the garage and there sat my car . my parents bought me a silver 97' z with 77k miles while i was gone. drives great and boy its got some get up and go.the guy they bought it from was the only owner and he had all the service records and had kept it garaged. guess i was wrong about the lt1s being bad or something. hopefully it will be a good source of transportation for a couple of years.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well I got my Z when I was 16, but it is my third vehicle ,i have been driving since I was 14, and these guys are right I did a lot of stupid shit my sophomre year in my s10, and now after having my camaro for almost a year, and having justt bought my first set of tires, I'm ready to take it easy, no more 4 grand shifts out of first just cause it sounds cool, my car has to last me until I pay it off, little over halfway, and have enough to buy another vehicle. I am not goin to make the same mistake that my dad and uncles made when they were buyin and sellin muscle cars in the 70's to make two or three hundred dollars, I'm keepin this car forever.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    finally got a z
    was gone for a week and when i got home today i opened up the garage and there sat my car . my parents bought me a silver 97' z with 77k miles while i was gone. drives great and boy its got some get up and go.the guy they bought it from was the only owner and he had all the service records and had kept it garaged. guess i was wrong about the lt1s being bad or something. hopefully it will be a good source of transportation for a couple of years.
    Very nice. Good luck with it. Auto or M6??

Post up some pics if you get a chance

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

its a4. cant really get a manual for where i live cus all the traffic. ill post up some pics in a few mins

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Hey man I know what u mean about wanting a Ls1 for a first car. I'm 15 , 3 months away from getting my license i have had about 9 months of experience and my parents thought i was mature enough to handle a car like that and I got a 2000 Silver Z28 and i love it. Hey Good Luck Man.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information