Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1999 z28 First Car?

This is a discussion on 1999 z28 First Car? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Alright, I guess I need to be blunt. As pessimistic as this may be, I'd bet money that 4 out ...

Silver
    2002 Z28

Alright, I guess I need to be blunt. As pessimistic as this may be, I'd bet money that 4 out of 5 guys that buy an LS1 as their first car at 16 total it within a year. I'd say at least 3 of them will die. I've personally known 2 people that did just that. I understand that at 21 I'm not so old, and I'm not so wise in my driving experience; But I know that everyone in my circle of friends in high school wanted a Camaro, T/A, or Vette, and the only 2 people who got them both totalled them, one hit another car and died, the other hit a pole and paralized himself waist down. You'll get lots of encouragement on these sites telling you that you can handle it and that you'll learn - but notice that always comes from people my age or younger, and once again with the pessimism, I'd bet that many of them won't be driving the same car a year from now, if they're driving at all. You'll make your own decision, as any man does as he comes to maturity, but I'll be honest: If you have good parents, they won't let you get one. You're better off getting a quick import that will hold its value, so when you're ready, perhaps for the 5th gen, it'll still be worth something on trade. I'm sure I sound like a prick, but you have to understand that everyone on here shares a common interest, so I'm expressing the common interest of keeping all us f-bod fans alive. Sorry for the speech.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

green
    95 firebird

he speaks truth. listen to him.

Metallic Blue
    01 Camaro SS

I think i would of killed myself also if i would of had the SS back in highschool. My 1st car was a v6 Camaro im glad i got the v6 as my 1st car because it looked great and the chicks were to stupid to know the diff anyway. An i was able to learn how to handle a RWD car in all types of situations and weather. When i traded it in and got my ls1 i felt so at home with the f-body even with the huge difference in power.

blue
    2002 Firehawk

ProwlerZ...wise beyond your years...
    Camarolvr69, damn good advice, take it on board, you will appreciate the things you wait for a whole more when they come and you can keep them. Rgds

Awaiting Activation
    I would say get your license and drive a beater or your parents car for atleast a year. That year will really put you in a different state of mind. I got my license when i was 16. I drove my parents volkswagen for a year and did some dumb stuff in that car and it was slow.

I bought my '99 LS1 Z28 6spd after my junior year of high school. I had 1 year driving experince and that helped me a lot. I know for a fact that if i had that car when i was 16 i would not be typing this. I'm 18 now and just graduated and i still race all the time and do dumb stuff, but not like when i first had my license.

My advice: Drive something slow for a year then get whatever you want. Yes you might total it but you might not. Of my 2 other f-body friends 1 totaled his car and the other is perfect but with tons of tickets. You just need to be able to control yourself with all that power. I've been tearing up the streets for a year now but i know when to screw around and when not too. I live in Chicago - there are cops and traffic everywhere. I don't have a single accident or ticket on my record.

JUST USE YOUR HEAD AND YOU WILL BE FINE! Don't race everyone just because your buddies are in the car and you want to impress them. And do yourself a favor and get a radar.

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

My first car was a 88 S10 4cyl with no power steering or brakes. topped out at 85. Im glad I had it. still ended up shattering 1st gear peeling out. Second car @19 was a Eclipse GST. Snuck it by with the help of my parents cuz it was 4cyl. I had half a brain then and it was quick. Never wrecked it but still played around. At 25 I got my SS. Love it and has seen redline maybe 3 times. I feel more bad for the car beatin it than anything, but every once in a while she gets a straight line romp. Stay away from back road trollops and never speed through intersections! anyway long story short @16 im against anyone having a Z or other fast car. Theres always the peer pressure thing goin on. Of course in 10 yrs Kia spectras will run 13.5s in the quarter...

Oh and ill go even as far to say RWD is bad for afirst car. I more then once spum around in turns in the rain.
    Last edited by ErikElvis; 06-22-2006 at 10:40 PM.
    05 HEMI Ram, 96 Eclipse GST, 02 SS.

Adam
    I'm 16 and i got a 93 maro 3.4 L. I know exactly what you are going through as does everyone else. I could have got the Z28 i did have that option but due to insurance, and the price i got the v6. I must say im not the happiest camper with it. But I do agree that if i would have got a v8 it would have been wrapped around that stop sign i love to whip nuts around. I would have pry pulled my ebrake in the middle of the highway at higher speeds. It was nothing for me to drive 110 everywhere i went imagine that being 50mph faster if i would have had the ls1. I also worked for my car, my parents didnt just hand me the money like most kids get I think that kinda makes you respect what you get a little more.

Im getting my liscense suspended for 30 days.
    Im still 16... i just learned the lesson that quote:

"Driving is a Privledge, not a Right." <---Take that advice from me.
    Don't do dumb shit with others in the car or around.

Now I obey the speed limit after i got my first ticket to avoid SR22 and another suspension. The only time I ever race is when we have people set up down at the next mile intersection with walkie talkies and make sure there is no one able to get hurt.(Live in Iowa only the cornfields know.)

I now believe that I am ready to handle the LS1. Once I own one I will never mess around in it.

Get a beater for your first car, something that you can hit stuff with and that you wont care if some dickhead dings your door in the school parking lot.Shit like that will happen there.

Adam
    Um the radar thing is questionable. If you have it in your car you are more likely to get a ticket your first time. There is pretty much no question if your going to get a ticket your first time if you had one. Mine saved my ass quite a few times...but it failed once...I knew i was speeding, but didnt know how fast, the cop was a real dick. Convo went like this. "radar detector didnt work did it?" me"guess not if your here huh?" loved watching that in court...

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

well i appreciate all the input from you guys
    i think that if im going to learn how to handle an LSx i might as well get one as my first car. I know how rwd cars handle as i have been driving my parents suburban for a year...and yes it is alot easier to crash than a camaro..lol especially in the rain. Probably not the best car to prepare for a camaro but atleast i know not to speed when its raining= crash into a ditch or a tree or do anything stupid. I dont let my friends influence me when im driving and the only time i might race is where there is no traffic on the interstate when it is DRY. And maybe a little stoplight to stoplight but nothing extreme. Just want to put the on all the retarted imports where i live . And my parents have agreed to let me buy it with my own money.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

honestly, at 16, i would buy a third gen. even a 305. driving a fast car is kinda like putting it in a girl's butt. you gotta ease into it. for about $3K you can get a nice third gen, and do some decent mods, and it'll be quick. i loved my 91rs 305, but the local paint jobs were too expensive. so i sold it and got a 98 Z. if my 91 woulda had t tops, i prolly would have kept it.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie connection View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Just joined the forum, I have a 99 Camaro for sale at the moment with 75000kms on it......Don't get excited its downunder, right hand drive and getting nibbles at AUD$36000!!! Thats about USD$27000...I'm sitting back having a chuckle about the prospect of a sixteen year old in Australia having a Camaro...On a serious note, think about what you are doing, its one powerful car combined with inexperience,not a good mix but good luck. Rgds
    do you have any pics? i think that'd be fucken sweet. if i had money to piss away, i'd buy it and have it shipped here.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    well i appreciate all the input from you guys
    i think that if im going to learn how to handle an LSx i might as well get one as my first car. I know how rwd cars handle as i have been driving my parents suburban for a year...and yes it is alot easier to crash than a camaro..lol especially in the rain. Probably not the best car to prepare for a camaro but atleast i know not to speed when its raining= crash into a ditch or a tree or do anything stupid. I dont let my friends influence me when im driving and the only time i might race is where there is no traffic on the interstate when it is DRY. And maybe a little stoplight to stoplight but nothing extreme. Just want to put the on all the retarted imports where i live . And my parents have agreed to let me buy it with my own money.
    Hey, tell your parents their just put nails on your coffin. No matter what you say, no matter how you tell us, you are STILL 16! Maturity comes into play owning/driving a FAST car, and it sounds to me you aren't a hair close to be mature enough to own a fast car. Please don't put your experience on driving your mommy and daddy's suburban as an experienced on rwd platform. It's like saying you're experienced driving a horse carriage, so your experience should equal to driving a C6 vette. Yeah, you know everything, you've read this and that but I wasn't born yesterday. I was in your shoes, as well as many others here, and we remember how it felt like wanting a fast car in a 16 year old point of view. Stick with a 4 banger or even 3 cyclinder hatchback made by DAEWOO until you grow more hair on your balls and your crack to accept the responsiblility of owning a FAST car.

And maybe a little stoplight to stoplight but nothing extreme. Just want to put the on all the retarted imports where i live .
    That shows alot of maturity. Case close, move on, have a nice day.
    Last edited by bene; 06-27-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Metallic Blue
    01 Camaro SS

lol yup ^^^ u say that now but as soon as u pull up to some riced out civic your goin to race and keep looking for street races. Street racing and kids dont mix sry thats just the truth. Younger ppl usualy pick the stupidest times and places to street race.

RED
    2002 Camaro

I have to agree with some of the others. I am also 19 and looking for and LS1, my advice is get something with a little less power than and LS1, one of my good friends got a 1997 Corvette when he turned 16, and just a few weeks later he threw it in a ditch and then a while after that he hit a deer that took off the entire front clip!

black
    2000 camaro ss+ 1987 GN

Quote Originally Posted by drewk86 View Post
    I have to agree with some of the others. I am also 19 and looking for and LS1, my advice is get something with a little less power than and LS1, one of my good friends got a 1997 Corvette when he turned 16, and just a few weeks later he threw it in a ditch and then a while after that he hit a deer that took off the entire front clip!
    I agree 100% that at 16 a beater for a few years is the only way to go. When i was 18 back in the 70s I had a big block Chevelle 4 speed with a cam, headers ect. That was a high 13 sec car and i should be dead with a few of the dumb things i did.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

well i do agree with most of you guys. An ls1 does have a lot of power which in turn takes a lot of responsibility to handle. But my first car is also going to be my only car until maybe 2011
    so if i were to get several "beaters" in between now and then i would. reality is i am going to need 1 reliable car to last until i get about done or done with college. so yes i would get a beater but will it last 5 years? hmmm and would i be happy with it?
    just need something to until the 5th gen hits showrooms.

Metallic Blue
    01 Camaro SS

well i do agree with most of you guys. An ls1 does have a lot of power which in turn takes a lot of responsibility to handle. But my first car is also going to be my only car until maybe 2011
    so if i were to get several "beaters" in between now and then i would. reality is i am going to need 1 reliable car to last until i get about done or done with college. so yes i would get a beater but will it last 5 years? hmmm and would i be happy with it?
    just need something to until the 5th gen hits showrooms.
    Just be carefull man if the 4thgen camaro is really the car u want then go for it just take it easy the first month atleast get a feel for the car. Post pics when u get your Z and good luck MAY THE CAR GODS BE WITH U!

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

thanks man

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMan View Post
    honestly, i don't think you should get an ls1 as your first car. not until you have been driving for at least a year and worked out a lot of your stupid/careless/ignorant habits. i am 19 and can say i learned an incredible amount about driving after my first year. but if you are a specially mature young male, capable to dispensing hp responsibly, then i'd consider it. otherwise, you may end up killing yourself. just my .02.
    Agreed. Get a beater for your first car, learn to drive well on that, and then get a nice/sports car. That way if you crash it/break it, no major loss.

Hell, you can even keep the car as a beater after you find a nice Camaro to purchase

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I say get a 4th gen with a V6. It still has the looks and handling and has plenty of power. It would last a long time, be reliable and good on gas. If you want more power just put n20 on it and have the V8 power when you want it. There are plenty of mods to make the 6's go fast. I've heard of them pulling 13's also. Cheaper ins and it will help you get used to driving a car with rwd. suv's handle way differnt than what cars do. One bad twitch in the rain and you'll be spining out. At 16 you can kill your self and others in anything. I just think you'd be happier in a V6 and it would help you really know how to drive the shit out of a car and how to shift. I almost have more fun when I drive 4 bangers to death reving the shit of them trying to get every ounce of power out rather then having more than really needed there already. Good luck and just learn how to handle the car well no mater what you get.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information