Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree4Likes

1999 ss tune up

This is a discussion on 1999 ss tune up within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; how do you reach spark plugs...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    arcadia fl.
    Posts
    4

    blue
    1999 camero ss

    1999 ss tune up

    how do you reach spark plugs

  2. #2
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,330

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by mikefhays View Post
    how do you reach spark plugs
    All but the passenger rear 8 got from the top, they were pretty easy. Passenger rear I did from under the car with a universal joint and feel.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    arcadia fl.
    Posts
    4

    blue
    1999 camero ss

    1999 ss tune up

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    All but the passenger rear 8 got from the top, they were pretty easy. Passenger rear I did from under the car with a universal joint and feel.
    thanks i'll go at it this weekend. dealer wants $600 to do it. seemed a little pricey

  4. #4
    Member sjgreen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    476

    Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

    What plugs are you planning to use? General consensus is the current AC Delco plugs (41-110) that are the recommended replacement for the originals (41-974) are not the best choice. Many seem to prefer the NGK plugs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,330

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    What plugs are you planning to use? General consensus is the current AC Delco plugs (41-110) that are the recommended replacement for the originals (41-974) are not the best choice. Many seem to prefer the NGK plugs.
    Aren't most of the people that are using he NGK (coppers) running mods and a tune as well?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    arcadia fl.
    Posts
    4

    blue
    1999 camero ss

    thanks.i was'nt sure if another plug would be better.i put 200,000 miles on her and still runs strong.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    NGK TR-55 is the usual plug of choice -- but they should be changed at the 30,000 mile mark. Iridiums will take you to 100,000 miles.

    Use a 1-1/2" extension on your 3/8" ratchet with the spark plug socket. This seems to work very well and, as posted, go at No. 8 from below. It's a bunch easier if you simply remove the coil packs and be sure to pop the plastic pins up on the cowl seal as they will shred your hands.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    arcadia fl.
    Posts
    4

    blue
    1999 camero ss

    thanks for the info

  9. #9
    Member sjgreen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    476

    Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

    Current part number for the NGK Iridium plugs is TR5IX, stock #7397. NGK recommends .040 gap.
    Blackwing Lid, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, Frost Tune, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

  10. #10
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,330

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    NGK TR-55 is the usual plug of choice -- but they should be changed at the 30,000 mile mark. Iridiums will take you to 100,000 miles.

    Use a 1-1/2" extension on your 3/8" ratchet with the spark plug socket. This seems to work very well and, as posted, go at No. 8 from below. It's a bunch easier if you simply remove the coil packs and be sure to pop the plastic pins up on the cowl seal as they will shred your hands.
    Is there any measurable advantage to the NGK coppers of the GM Iridiums (other than price)?

  11. #11
    Member sjgreen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    476

    Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Is there any measurable advantage to the NGK coppers of the GM Iridiums (other than price)?
    Some people like the feel if skinned knuckles from changing plugs more frequently than necessary. Unless you are a serious racer who wants to see the plugs after every couple of passes, spend the extra money up front (which will end up saving money over the life of the plugs), buy the iridium plugs and find something else to do with all the time you will be saving not changing plugs every other year or so.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Is there any measurable advantage to the NGK coppers of the GM Iridiums (other than price)?

    Just the change interval to my knowledge. Certainly nothing that you will notice or feel unless you current plugs are whipped, then either set is going to seem to make a difference.

  13. #13
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Copper is a better conductor of electricity than any of the iridium plugs which is why the copper core plugs are always recommended over others for any type of performance application, or for anyone looking to squeeze any last bit.

    More spark is always good.

    Drawback is that copper doesn't last as long. Changing plugs isn't that big of a deal. Even every couple of years isn't very frequent at all for a die hard car guy. 50% of the enjoyment of owning a hot rod is working on it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,330

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Copper is a better conductor of electricity than any of the iridium plugs which is why the copper core plugs are always recommended over others for any type of performance application, or for anyone looking to squeeze any last bit.

    More spark is always good.

    Drawback is that copper doesn't last as long. Changing plugs isn't that big of a deal. Even every couple of years isn't very frequent at all for a die hard car guy. 50% of the enjoyment of owning a hot rod is working on it.
    While I agree with what you said, is it even a noticeable difference between the iridium and the coppers? Better throttle response? Gas mileage? Etc?

    (I will disagree about the working on cars is fun, when it comes to changing plugs on a third gen', that was a PITA!)

  15. #15
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Probably not noticeable to most people but there is a reason the serious racers use copper core plugs. Any time you get more juice in the cylinder it's a good thing. Especially when you start pushing the HP envelope and making some cylinder pressure.

    A 3rd gen?? That's even easier than a 4th gen. I don't even have to dive under the car to change plugs in a 3rd gen. We aren't true car people if we don't enjoy working on them too.

  16. #16
    Member RONS98TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Age
    44
    Posts
    803

    BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

    I can't say that I enjoy busting my hands and or knuckles up wrenching on my rides, BUT I do enjoy the satisfaction of fixing my ride and making it better than what it was from the factory. Nothing like the 1st time up start up a car that was DOA when it came into your garage.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

  17. #17
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Exactly what I'm talking about Ron. I think the day we no longer enjoy wrenching and bringing something back to life is probably the day we need to give up the hobby and just buy new cars with a warranty.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Damn, FBJ is getting philosophical on us too! Nail on the head with that one.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,330

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Probably not noticeable to most people but there is a reason the serious racers use copper core plugs. Any time you get more juice in the cylinder it's a good thing. Especially when you start pushing the HP envelope and making some cylinder pressure.

    A 3rd gen?? That's even easier than a 4th gen. I don't even have to dive under the car to change plugs in a 3rd gen. We aren't true car people if we don't enjoy working on them too.
    My TPI T/A was a PITA to change plugs in. I still had to "iron log" manifolds and the air injection pipes on it. I almost had to be a contortionist to get them from the top, on that car. What was sasy to change on that car was the alternator, after the 5th one, I had it down to less than 15 minutes (POS alts'), including grabbing the right torx sizes.

    I dont remove anything off of the LS1, and the only one I need to mess with is PA rear. I don't mind them at all.

    Easiest to change plugs was in my G Body 307 Cutlass.

    I enjoy working on (my) cars, I just dont like it when common replacement items are stupid hard/inaccessible.

  20. #20
    Member DarrenWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Blossburg, PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    414

    Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    I've heard the easiest time to change the plugs was during a longtube header install, so that will be when mine get changed.

    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

    SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Custom tune, HP tuners, or PCMFORLESS TUNE
    By cancam99ss in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 10:09 PM
  2. hypertech tune erase my dyno tune?
    By Z28LS1 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
  3. dyno tune vs street tune...
    By FordStomper in forum GTO
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 05:55 AM
  4. whats the diff with a full dyno tune and a street tune?
    By Justin23454 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 07:31 AM
  5. Handheld Tune?shop Tune? software running on my laptop tune?on my SS
    By showtimesteele99SS in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 06:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •