Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

02 SS camaro headers

i have a 02 35th anniversary ss camaro and i was ready to take headers/exaust manifolds of the car to clean them up because there the only ratty thing on the car. my question what is the stock finish from factory jet coating, ceramic, painted etc. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140217_194900_823.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	25641

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe there is no finish on the stock manifolds - that is likely why they are starting to rust through.

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

do you know what people tend to do with them

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Buy headers to replace the stock manifolds. I also have a 35th LE and ended up going with Kook's stainless steel headers. No more problems, ever, and they fit and look gorgeous. Not to mention added some nice HP/TQ while doing so.

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

well i planned on doing that in the long run but im a 26 year old guy, so moneys tight. That is why i was going to buy a extra set of manifolds on craigslist that way if i ever sell it i can put it back exactly the way it was from the factory. i was hoping for someone on here with a pic of the exhaust manifolds coated so i can see what they look like done up nice. all in all im just dressing this car up to look good and compete in shows

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You might want to post a thread in the appropriate section on here asking if anyone has stock manifolds as a lot of people remove them early on. You might get lucky and get a set for real cheap here, or better yet, free. Someone might just make you pay for shipping.

As far as cleaning your existing ones, not sure how that will work. With them being bare metal, they will likely just get rusted up again after a few heat cycles. I would not pay to have them coated - that is money you have put towards a nice set of aftermarket headers.

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

thanks for your input. I got a set of manifolds for free from a buddy. do you know if a ls1 manifold instead of a ls6 manifold is a big difference in performance because I got one of them for free also. the reason I ask is I am strongly considering painting it the color of the car

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Your car has the LS6 intake on it already and that is the better of the two.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have my stock manifolds sitting in my closet wrapped up in some sheets. Been off the car a couple years.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

im sorry I don't understand?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What don't you understand?

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

never mind lol I read it wrong haha. I got a set of manifolds from a friend for free. im now looking for a ls6 manifold cheap if you got it

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by nbrig25 View Post
    never mind lol I read it wrong haha. I got a set of manifolds from a friend for free. im now looking for a ls6 manifold cheap if you got it
    Your car comes with the ls6 manifold on it already. Are you looking for a spare or did you just not realize that?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

im looking for a spare because i want to to paint the spare the color of the car that way i can put it back to stock if need be with the factory one being untouched. i think it would look good. and since i have a ls1 manifold laying around was going to paint that one. but i saw the difference when i compared the 2 last night it would look silly

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

like i explained earlier the car is mint i'im just looking to dress it up , lowering kit window tint, chrome battery cover, a little chrome in motor compartment while still looking classy (nothing over the top) to compete in shows with out breaking the bank. i also saw on a random car shot of a guys car who did exactly what im trying to do. i noticed he hid the wires going from fuze box and battery i was wandering where do guys hide them

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Why don't you add some engine dress-up kits? Here are the ones I ordered for my 35th Anniversary Edition LE. The number 1234 was just for show on the attached image - the actual plate has my exact LE build number on it.

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

do you have any pictures of what it looks like on the car. also the website to get it from

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Nick, if you want to make your bare cast iron manifolds look better for just a few bucks there are a number of products you can get to basically paint/coat them that will last quite a while. Eastwood and many others carry the coatings and they are pretty easy to apply once you remove the manifolds and give them a wire brushing. Once cured they can keep the manifolds looking like fresh bare metal (without the rust) or even with a bit of shine for quite a while. I've used this Factory Gray Hi-Temp Coating previously with very good results and it won't burn off up to 1200 degrees which is well above your normal exhaust temp.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

dont know about the stock quality and i think not ceramic

blue
    2002 ss camaro 35th aniv

that is a viable option i did not think of, i figured since the ceramic coating is ony 160 i figured do it right once and be done with it till i get headers

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Nick, if you want to make your bare cast iron manifolds look better for just a few bucks there are a number of products you can get to basically paint/coat them that will last quite a while. Eastwood and many others carry the coatings and they are pretty easy to apply once you remove the manifolds and give them a wire brushing. Once cured they can keep the manifolds looking like fresh bare metal (without the rust) or even with a bit of shine for quite a while. I've used this Factory Gray Hi-Temp Coating previously with very good results and it won't burn off up to 1200 degrees which is well above your normal exhaust temp.

Thread Information