Results 1 to 18 of 18

$ going down fast

This is a discussion on $ going down fast within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Got myself a 99 ss last spring. And the Kelly blue book has gone down $1000 on it. Dont know ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    commerce twp michigan
    Age
    59
    Posts
    546

    $ going down fast

    Got myself a 99 ss last spring. And the Kelly blue book has gone down $1000
    on it. Dont know if I want to put money on mods in to it or not. I think I might sell and get a old 68/69 camaro. Ya I know big bucks
    but it should keep its value better.

  2. #2
    beaSSt
    Guest
    let us know if you want to sell it, i'd be interested

  3. #3
    DanielLs1
    Guest
    $2k a year is expected or more. Its the way it is. Typically the % is similar of all cars, but original price of the car makes the loss big or small. Remember, you used this car, and using it up where eventually it is useless. Most cars have a typical lifespan of 10 years/150k miles then they are basically worthless. I used to think of it as loss, but its not, its the cost of its use.

    Look at it this way... $30k new 0k miles , 150k miles = $0k. then every 5k miles cost you $1000 to use the car.

    I agree 69 camaro will hold value great, but they are typically more work/ less reliable/ terrible mileage etc, and imo should be weekend cars today. Drive a shit honda to work, and bust out the g ride when you want to have some fun.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    commerce twp michigan
    Age
    59
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielLs1
    $2k a year is expected or more. Its the way it is. Typically the % is similar of all cars, but original price of the car makes the loss big or small. Remember, you used this car, and using it up where eventually it is useless. Most cars have a typical lifespan of 10 years/150k miles then they are basically worthless. I used to think of it as loss, but its not, its the cost of its use.

    Look at it this way... $30k new 0k miles , 150k miles = $0k. then every 5k miles cost you $1000 to use the car.

    I agree 69 camaro will hold value great, but they are typically more work/ less reliable/ terrible mileage etc, and imo should be weekend cars today. Drive a shit honda to work, and bust out the g ride when you want to have some fun.
    My 99ss m6 with slp lid and loudmouth leather is my weekend car.
    33000 miles stored winters seen rain 4 times.
    I sold a 66 mustang and got it. The ss is a hole lot more fun to drive.
    but the old stang got more looks. It had a lots of mods.
    If I cant sell the SS ($12,900) Iwill put headers and ls6 intake on it come spring.

  5. #5
    DanielLs1
    Guest
    I didn't realize it was already your weekend beast, that does kinda suck hardly using it and watching it depreciate. Making that car faster is always cool, and also, as time goes by, it depreciates less I'll tell you my own story, i sold a 69 camaro to get a 96 z28 for a daily driver.

    I learned from this is mistake i will call it,
    1) performance cars overall, suck for daily drivers.
    2) A 4th gen camaro can only dream of the heads a 1st gen camaro will turn.
    3) Cars like these should be weekend cars imo therefore might as well get a 1st gen.
    4) 4th gens are shit to work on yourself.
    5) Me being in california, smog laws suck too for 4th gens, my 69 was exempt.
    6) Id rather have a 14 second 1st gen that looked tits, than an 11 second 4th gen because on the street, you aint racing people all the time, its about having something different, being original, etc, and 4th gens body style is overall pretty bland. (putting on flame suit now but i doubt anyone would argue a 4th gen looks better than a 69).

  6. #6
    Senior Member SeVeReDiStOrTiOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    8,164

    05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielLs1
    I didn't realize it was already your weekend beast, that does kinda suck hardly using it and watching it depreciate. Making that car faster is always cool, and also, as time goes by, it depreciates less I'll tell you my own story, i sold a 69 camaro to get a 96 z28 for a daily driver.

    I learned from this is mistake i will call it,
    1) performance cars overall, suck for daily drivers.
    2) A 4th gen camaro can only dream of the heads a 1st gen camaro will turn.
    3) Cars like these should be weekend cars imo therefore might as well get a 1st gen.
    4) 4th gens are shit to work on yourself.
    5) Me being in california, smog laws suck too for 4th gens, my 69 was exempt.
    6) Id rather have a 14 second 1st gen that looked tits, than an 11 second 4th gen because on the street, you aint racing people all the time, its about having something different, being original, etc, and 4th gens body style is overall pretty bland. (putting on flame suit now but i doubt anyone would argue a 4th gen looks better than a 69).
    a 69 is definatly a head turner and one of the baddest cars made in my opinion...but as a DD it would blow. Their not comfortable compared to a newer vehicle, and unless their completely restored their not reliable.

    Saying 4th gens should be weekend cars is crap...mine rides great and is very reliable...but then again this is the newest car i've owned. I don't think their all that hard to work on...but compared to a a carb vehicle then yea a 4th gen is complicated...just like any 96+ car.

    Even with the smog laws in cali your 4th gen will be faster than your 69...unless you put major money into it. Get some high flow cats and be done with it...you can't get long tubes but pacesetter has some mids that are 50 state legal.

  7. #7
    Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rolla, MO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,404
    '69 Camaro

    I drive my '69 everyday and it blows a lot of the time. I wish I had a 4th gen to drive everyday. I do get a ton more looks than anybody else I know with a new sports car

  8. #8
    Story of My Life!! BIG D's SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Commerce Ga
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,995

    Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

    I have had new and old. The old do hold there value, but they are old. For one to have the value you have to either pay out the ass for it or spend money to make it worth something. I like my 00 SS and do the mods to it and make it sound the way they did. The newer cars already have the luxories. They have A/C, power windows, mirrors, seats, and dependable. To get that in an old car you have thousands of dollars and tons of man hours. If you can't do it yourself then you have labor costs in there. I work at Year One and the parts are expensive enough much less when you have to paylabor on top. Luckily there is nothing that me and my Dad can't do to a car. Just food for thought. I have been noth ways and like the newer. Not to say that I won't buy another 1st Gen Camaro, but it will have the LS1/M6 in it along with the 4th gen interior like our Orange and White 69 Vert (Innovator).

  9. #9
    Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rolla, MO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,404
    '69 Camaro

    Holy shit, how the hell do you get a job with Classic Industries?

  10. #10
    the cake is a lie twozs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    hopewell jct, ny
    Posts
    489

    black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

    ive got about 12 more payments on the 01 z (pretty loaded with tees, tract, chrome, zrated f1s and slp stuff) thats about 5 grand left and with only 30,000 mi. should be able to get 10 grand easy for it so its far from "worthless" you just got to take care of them. i own completly stock 73 rs z28 and as far as driveability and fuel eco. ill have to take the new one

  11. #11
    DanielLs1
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. CarelessAndImprudent
    Holy shit, how the hell do you get a job with Classic Industries?
    Classic industries is an unethical business, shady shit went on there, I worked there and would never recommend it to anyone with a soul.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    nc
    Age
    33
    Posts
    290

    silver
    2000 camaro ss

    the fbody's will go down over the years in value but as time goes (10-15 years) the value will skyrocket i would imaging a an fbody in pretty good shape around 15 years from now will be worht around 30 or 40 thousand if you keep the miles off.

  13. #13
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Just keep your SS, mod it and enjoy it.

  14. #14
    DanielLs1
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballss
    the fbody's will go down over the years in value but as time goes (10-15 years) the value will skyrocket i would imaging a an fbody in pretty good shape around 15 years from now will be worht around 30 or 40 thousand if you keep the miles off.
    I have to disagree because a 1982 Berlinetta is basically worthless. 15 years from now there will be better cars that make the desire for an older car less. Imagine a 2015 Camaro, or GTO, or something... 500hp and 50mpg, who would want the old one? The 1st gen's and early 2nd gen's are unique in that they look great and they are easy to work on, and part of the musclecar era. I think most 4th gen's will be rare though, because most people will scrap them for their drivetrains for other cars, reducing the overall number of them... (people already are doing this)

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    nc
    Age
    33
    Posts
    290

    silver
    2000 camaro ss

    i would want the old one, nothing compares to a 1998-2002 f-body, the new ones are ugly in my opininon,trust me they will be worth a lot of money give them 20 years

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    nc
    Age
    33
    Posts
    290

    silver
    2000 camaro ss

    berlinetta?? how does that fit into the equasion? lol that doesnt relate very well, cant replace the fbodys

  17. #17
    kodiak
    Guest
    Obviously not one to keep a good thing that has lots of potential !
    But thats just me (probably not)

  18. #18
    Member gjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    347

    Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

    Quote Originally Posted by baseballss
    i would want the old one, nothing compares to a 1998-2002 f-body, the new ones are ugly in my opininon,trust me they will be worth a lot of money give them 20 years
    That's what I'm betting on. I have a 35th delivered 9/16/01 with 6097 miles, never seen rain and is still, perfect. Based on history, the rare ones WILL be worth more than you paid for them, eventually.

    G

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FAST 90 on LS2
    By Mr. Luos in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 09:48 AM
  2. 150 mph is a lil fast
    By SycoJoe69 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM
  3. Ls1 Go Fast Parts*.Needs to go Fast!!
    By king_speed in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM
  4. check out this fast ass supra!!! then a crazy fast honda...
    By got-a-ls1 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •