Thread: Yamaha Banshee

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Yamaha Banshee

I might be buying one here in a bit was wondering if anyone has owned one or ridden one regularly and what you think of them. Good or bad any input would be appreciated.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Bad. They don't make them anymore in the USA. Can still get them in canada and mexico brand new though.

The worst suspension ever to be put on a sport quad imo. And I am talking worse than the old quad racer 25o's before they changed them. Chain adjustment sucks major ass also. Insane power, but it's useless. Friend let me ride his at motocross track once. Spins the tires way way way to easy. Going over jumps was tricky as hell with the way power goes down. Kinda on/off like a chainsaw when you get using throttle passed 1/2 throttle. I was either nose high like crazy or nose down on the jumps. If you want a quad, get a modern four stroke. You won't be let down.

I can't remember if they have oil injection stock(probably do) in which case it gets mixed at 32:1 at MOST. Oily mess coming out the exhaust because of it.

It is a two stroke though, so there aren't valves to adjust which is awesome! Love the sound they make... Mix it at 50:1 with klotz and it smells better than fresh cookies. And they are insane for dunes riding.

What kind of riding are you doing btw? Age/weight also? And experience. I could tell you a better quad for your needs.

This is mine btw. 2008 trx 450r honda kicker.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I almost exclusively ride sand dunes which is why I was interested in one cause I have seen very few newer quads beat a banshee up a hill. I probably weigh about 230lbs and experience wise I'm pretty good but I've never ridden a two-stroke. I have a 2006 Raptor 660 right now but it gets its ass handed to it way to easy for my liking by my two buddies Raptor 700 and YFZ450. Your honda looks good, racing setup I assume?
    Last edited by HOBS; 06-09-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Yeah, I race Cross Country, GNCC. If you are duning, then yeah, a banshee is badass and can be modded to the hills. Raptor 700's can make a shit load of hp to for the dunes. Banshee's kick start really easily too unlike kick starting a 450 four stroke after it is hot.

Banshee's chain adjustment still sucks ass though. And with your weight, if you have the money, I would go aftermarket suspension. Cause you are gonna have that thing squatting bad.

If all I was doing was duning though, my #1 pic would be a 1988 250r with aftermarket top end modded to a 310. Followed by a banshee. Two strokes are king of dunes.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

What makes the banshee's chain adj. so much worse than any other quad? A 250r would be just tits in my eyes but in the past 5yrs I've only seen 2 for sale, whereas banshees are a dime a dozen, so a 250r isnt likely. Couldn't I just adjust the suspension for my weight or do they not adjust as well as a newer quads? Thanks for the help btw.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

The banshee has the same chain adjustment as blaster and a few other yamahas. It just sucks major major ass. Whoever designed it was a moron. Honda came up with the best system possible and they refused to pay patent rights to use it. The system works, it is just a major major pita.

The adjustment you can do on a banshee's suspension is useless. And even aftermarket companies that offer revalves are going to tell you revalving and re-springing a banshee coil over would be a waste.

It all depends on what you want out of the quad though. Stock suspension will work. But if you are doing any kind of major jumping, or the dune sections are whooped out like crazy. You are gonna notice a huge difference between your raptor and the banshee. Comes down to what quality of ride do YOU want.

Go to the dunes, and ask to ride someones with aftermarket and stock setup. If you're nice you will get a ride.

white
    2001 transam

I own a Banshee and I Love it. I was just trying to find some pictures on my computer and I cannot find them. I'll take a bunch of pictures and have them up by the weekend. I don't have time to do it today or tomorrow with work.

Anyway the chain tightening device is not as bad as it has been made out to be. Not if you start out with a chain and sprockets that are in good order to start with.

My neighbor has a Rapter700 and his friend has a 660 and I'm constently beating them all the time. lol

My Wife won't even get on my Banshee with me anymore. She call's it Insane. When your in the Powerband it is Insane.

More later.....

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

I rode one years ago and when in the powerband, there is a reason they called it a banshee. It if f'n insane!

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Was talking to a buddy of mine today and he said that they break down alot and the carbs get out of sync easy anyone, had those issues? The one I'm lookin at is a 96 with toomey pipes,paddles and a couple other things for $1600 obo. I'm thinkin I can chew him down to $1400 is that a good deal for that year?

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Bad. They don't make them anymore in the USA. Can still get them in canada and mexico brand new though.

The worst suspension ever to be put on a sport quad imo. And I am talking worse than the old quad racer 25o's before they changed them. Chain adjustment sucks major ass also. Insane power, but it's useless. Friend let me ride his at motocross track once. Spins the tires way way way to easy. Going over jumps was tricky as hell with the way power goes down. Kinda on/off like a chainsaw when you get using throttle passed 1/2 throttle. I was either nose high like crazy or nose down on the jumps. If you want a quad, get a modern four stroke. You won't be let down.

I can't remember if they have oil injection stock(probably do) in which case it gets mixed at 32:1 at MOST. Oily mess coming out the exhaust because of it.

It is a two stroke though, so there aren't valves to adjust which is awesome! Love the sound they make... Mix it at 50:1 with klotz and it smells better than fresh cookies. And they are insane for dunes riding.

What kind of riding are you doing btw? Age/weight also? And experience. I could tell you a better quad for your needs.

This is mine btw. 2008 trx 450r honda kicker.
    Click for full size

Nice bike!!!

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

It's a two stroke, you get the carbs jetted right and you are good to go just clean them out once in a while. And toomey pipes are the shit. Massive top end on them. As for breaking down, it all comes to how well you maintain it. My buddies had issues from time to time, but he didn't do shit to it ever.

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

Nice thing about Banshee's is the parts are all the same. They never changed anything but the colors, from '87 til they quit making them. So if you know people selling parts from an '02 they will fit your '96.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I'm not sure what would break down on them? two stroke without even a powervalve.. one difference in early bikes is the "j-arm as apposed to a-arm suspension. a few minor changes over the years too

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

my banshee was one fun ride........but i would want a 4 stroke if i did it again

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Ended up buying the Banshee. Im pretty happy with it it runs like a raped ape and handles pretty good. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Ended up buying the Banshee. Im pretty happy with it it runs like a raped date and handles pretty good. Thanks for all the input everyone.
    fixed!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

lol thanks thats much better

Thread Information