Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1966 Corvette Coupe

XLR Modification Questions

Im having a hell of a time finding a car I want... the XLR is still looking pretty good, but i have a major issue with it... The auto... Is it impossible to put a vette 6 speed in it? I thought maybe someone was familiar enough with the 2 to tell me if it would pretty much bolt in without too much major modification...

Also i eventually want to Supercharge it, I know ill have issues with the walls on the 4.6 and might have to do something about that, but my main thing (this also might be an issue with the tranny) is tuning... are there any programs for gm cars that will cover the XLR?

-me

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

shuldnt c5 drivetrain fit the xlr?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

stall the auto and both hptuners and efilive support 06-08 xlr's according to their websites.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Check efilive.com or hptuners and see what's supported. I'm sure one of them can do tuning on a XLR

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i dont see why not...minus the tunning issue..doesnt the vette and xlr share the same platform..or am i mistaken.

1966 Corvette Coupe

they are close... but i not exact... i think most suspension parts will go across... i just dont know... i mean putting a shifter in... clutch and master cylender...

and I want to be able to self tune... i want like a tuning program... not some lil box that lets me adjust tire size... There is alot that goes along with it... i mean it has that weird cruise control... and all sorts of crap...

-me

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well hptuners will fit your bill..i am planning on purchasing that in the very near future...what i am concerned about is the tunning option...if there is no manual available for that car..there will be no "program" for the transmission. I bet the best you could do is get the manumatics** with the paddle shifting..which doesnt the new XLRs have...i am not well rounded in the XLRs...i just know they are very sexy cars..the type you could drive up to an opera..and say " i can whip all of your asses here, steal your women and lay more rubber then Lindsay lohan after wilmer..and still look just as classy as all of you.".....caddys do that very well in their V series and XLRs

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

First question is, does the XLR have an ECM or seperate computers for both the trans and engine? Lets say you could get a corvette manual transaxle in there, the computer is gonna be funky being that the engine management works with trans parameters and vice versa. You would have communication problems for sure. Lets say that you can't use the stock computers that the xlr uses. You would need a standalone unit. You'd be the guinea pig as I'm willing to bet not a single person in the world has done this sort of thing on an XLR. This car was designed to be sporty and classy and look good cruising and going to the golf course, but taking the occasional back roads with some bends. Not be the modded/fabbed up car you are trying to make it. If you want a rocket fast one, you need the XLR-V.

I still dont get why you got rid of the vette, its basically exactly the kind of car you want.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

the xlr-v road tested

and yes clarkson does nothing but bitch
    Last edited by 310stanger; 07-06-2008 at 06:36 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    the xlr-v road tested

wow.....not only did he trash the car, he trashed the entire country. Didn't we kick their ass in a war though?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    wow.....not only did he trash the car, he trashed the entire country. Didn't we kick their ass in a war though?
    He doesnt understand that not everything is a 200k ferrari/lambo. That cadillac is also more reliable then anything that has ever came out of britain. The only good cars they put out are aston martins, and they just look good.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I sort of agree with a couple of his points but he just kept going and going. GM does cheap out on interiors, that's fact. I could also see an issue with the a6 and trying to road course race but like you said earlier, that car is meant for a certain demographic and I doubt road racers are in the group. If he wanted to road race a $75k car and compare it to euro cars that cost almost twice that he should've took a z06 out.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I sort of agree with a couple of his points but he just kept going and going. GM does cheap out on interiors, that's fact. I could also see an issue with the a6 and trying to road course race but like you said earlier, that car is meant for a certain demographic and I doubt road racers are in the group. If he wanted to road race a $75k car and compare it to euro cars that cost almost twice that he should've took a z06 out.
    i agree. the auto probably shifts way too much for what he was trying to do. But it wasnt designed for that at all.

Good point with the interior, as nice as it looks that interior is crappy for 75k. I can't agree with the part about it lasting a short period of time though. That engine and trans will go a long fuckin time. Granted the northstar will leak soo much you will have motor oil all over your garage but still lol

1966 Corvette Coupe

I hate this... I actually have the chance to get something and cant find anything worth buying...

If i could find a cheap one i would just do a vette drivetrain and ECM... but even high mileage ones are in the $30ks...

And i got rid of the vette because around here they are just another car... I would bet there are 250 or more registered within 20 miles of where i live... I know of atlesest 20 new ones on car lots that i frequent.

-me

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    I hate this... I actually have the chance to get something and cant find anything worth buying...

If i could find a cheap one i would just do a vette drivetrain and ECM... but even high mileage ones are in the $30ks...

And i got rid of the vette because around here they are just another car... I would bet there are 250 or more registered within 20 miles of where i live... I know of atlesest 20 new ones on car lots that i frequent.

-me
    Honestly dude, who cares, its still a Vette. Who gives a shit if theres 100s of them and your not the only one around with one. As long as you enjoy it thats all that matters. If its really a big deal just do something to it to set it apart. A set of wheels and tires and a hood graphic go along way.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    Honestly dude, who cares, its still a Vette. Who gives a shit if theres 100s of them and your not the only one around with one. As long as you enjoy it thats all that matters. If its really a big deal just do something to it to set it apart. A set of wheels and tires and a hood graphic go along way.
    I agree with all of that.......except the "hood graphic" thing........I personally wouldn't put a hood graphic on a Vette, but that's just me.

How about a CTS with a ProCharger?

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    I agree with all of that.......except the "hood graphic" thing........I personally wouldn't put a hood graphic on a Vette, but that's just me.

How about a CTS with a ProCharger?
    by hood graphic i ment like a blackout or a stripe ... not something fast and furiousy... guess i should have specified that lol

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    by hood graphic i ment like a blackout or a stripe ... not something fast and furiousy... guess i should have specified that lol
    Okay dude, just checking!! You had me like ....big time.

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Okay dude, just checking!! You had me like ....big time.
    yea them vettes look shweet with a big dragon on the hood and some dubs.... lets add a lift kit while were at it and some fake exhaust exits on the door! lol thank god vettes arent in most ricers price range

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    the xlr-v road tested

yeesh, that XLR is far from a performance car !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information