Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF Honda Techs

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

WTF Honda Techs

A friend of mine bought a 02 z28 from a local honda dealership. He has been hearing some whine in his rear end in 5th gear. He took it too honda and the told him the rear axle bearings were out because they could roll one wheel one direction and the other would turn the opposite. I tried to tell him that was normal but he believes them so to each there own. I wonder if this is a case of Honda trying to fuck him over or if the techs at honda dealerships are really that dumb.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

hahaha, i think the honda techs are just dumasses...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

if that rear has a limited slip they should both turn the same direction if the car is in the air first off, secondly why would you expect a Honda guy to be able to diagnose a rear end on a camaro? they dont ever deal with noisy rear ends at a honda shop.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    if that rear has a limited slip they should both turn the same direction if the car is in the air first off, secondly why would you expect a Honda guy to be able to diagnose a rear end on a camaro? they dont ever deal with noisy rear ends at a honda shop.
    thats where he bought it and thats where the waranty is from.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by dlmeadows View Post
    thats where he bought it and thats where the waranty is from.
    so let them try and fix it. it wont cost him anything. also does the warranty specify he has to have it serviced there? they might be able to sublet the job to a chebby shop? if he has that option I think that would make both the honda guy happy and your friend.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

so let them try and fix it. it wont cost him anything. also does the warranty specify he has to have it serviced there? they might be able to sublet the job to a chebby shop? if he has that option I think that would make both the honda guy happy and your friend.
    No he has to have the work done there. he already ripped the syncros out and fried the clutch and they replaced all of that for free but they said the bearings were not covered by the warranty. are you sure that a lsd rear will spin the tires in the same direction with the car in the air because mine turn opposite. I thought that was normal but I could be wrong.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

No he has to have the work done there. he already ripped the syncros out and fried the clutch and they replaced all of that for free but they said the bearings were not covered by the warranty. are you sure that a lsd rear will spin the tires in the same direction with the car in the air because mine turn opposite. I thought that was normal but I could be wrong.
    certain design lsds are designed to engage differently but all ford lsds and pretty much any import i've ever worked on all spin both in the same direction. i think some fbodies have the torsen style rear which i think has to be under load to engage

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

didn't know that i thought only a full posi turned both the same direction but I will admit I am a novice on rears never made it that far back on a car usually stop under the hood lol.

Red
    98 Trans Am Ws6

Even if they dont fix it atleast you got a new clutch out of it.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

didn't know that i thought only a full posi turned both the same direction but I will admit I am a novice on rears never made it that far back on a car usually stop under the hood lol.
    +2, limited slip can turn in different directions.

ALRIGHT NOW wont u listen

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

well i AM i Honda tech, the problem IS when somone comes in with a "unusual" problem, the manager gives the vehicle to his most quilified (or second one free) oil tech (hes not gona pay an ase tech to do the job of an oil changer) then the dumbass oil changer lookes it over and desides what he will, which is usually wrong,
    Last edited by bad boy 99; 12-02-2007 at 11:49 AM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Ase tests dont mean someone can fix anything worth a shit. You can be a real good test taker and pass them. You have to be able to apply it. The real incentive to getting ase tests is to go into a dealership for a job and shove it up the managers ass and make him pay you the rates you want. THey need fully certified guys to be qualified as emissions repair facilities.

how do you consider yourself "ase" yet you are only a lube tech?

Ase tests dont mean someone can fix anything worth a shit. You can be a real good test taker and pass them. You have to be able to apply it. The real incentive to getting ase tests is to go into a dealership for a job and shove it up the managers ass and make him pay you the rates you want. THey need fully certified guys to be qualified as emissions repair facilities.

There is a big difference between a oil changer and technician, and you can not just consider yourself to be ASE certified.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

+1 I know several ase guys that I wouldn't let touch my car.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

I went to an auto tech school, decided not to get a job in the industry, but I did pass an ASE test. Do I qualify?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

if it means anything. i'm not ase certified. I will probably take some tests at some point, but I really don't care about them. I'll take them just because its ammo for more money. I am however a flat rate dealer tech and have learned tons through experience on the job and not everyone can do the job thats for damn sure. For example my "shop foreman" is an old timer who is real good with iron but totally useless with electrical, diagnostics, even jus check engine lights. so he gets paid top rate jus to do iron and gravy work. We have an oil change guy who dont know shit but tries and seems to be learning a lil from jus what i teach him. I'm the c tech that can jus fix things with common sense and the skill to work on a car. i have a lot of knowledge about cars but where i really need to improve is on the diagnostics with driveability and electrical. this is where a tech loses his money.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

Im a machinist. I have been doing this since i graduated high school. I can write a CNC program for almost anything that can be done on a lathe. but i have no formal education just what I have learned from experience. we get certified machinists that make more money than I do and don't know half of what I do. just because you have certs. doesnt mean you know anything but I should probably challenge the test just so I can make a little more $

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Im a machinist. I have been doing this since i graduated high school. I can write a CNC program for almost anything that can be done on a lathe. but i have no formal education just what I have learned from experience. we get certified machinists that make more money than I do and don't know half of what I do. just because you have certs. doesnt mean you know anything but I should probably challenge the test just so I can make a little more $
    my sentiments. you get paid not for what you can do, but for what you "know"

tater_salad
    Yeah, I did some research.

The LSD in the 98-02 F-bodies don't engage until under load.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

certain design lsds are designed to engage differently but all ford lsds and pretty much any import i've ever worked on all spin both in the same direction. i think some fbodies have the torsen style rear which i think has to be under load to engage
    My 240 spun in opposite directions! Well until I welded it Posi!!

But I also thought all LSD's spun in opposite directions! Thats what I have always been told.

I could see his rear end making noises if a bearing is wore out and causing the shims to not properly line it up! But in No way is it b/c the wheels turn in opposite directions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information