Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2005 GTO

Wireless dog fence

I know we have some dog lovers on here so maybe you can help. My situation really does't warrenty putting up a fence(renting a house) but I really need a way for my 1 year old lab to run around on a daily basis. I had originally looked at some of the wireless fences when I first got her but just kind of put it on the back burner. Now she just really needs time to run and be a dog. I work 50hrs a week so I don't really have time to take her to the dog park on a regualar basis plus that gets expensive. Anyone have any experince with these, pros/cons? I'm not a huge fan of the whole shocking the dog but like I said it is really the only option for me right now, plus she is a very smart dog and I think will learn very quickly what her boundries are which hopefully she won't get shocked that much.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I haven't personally used these, but I know two people who do have them and they work great. Dogs learn REALLY quick, so it is only rough on them the first week or so.

The one friend has a large yard and his dogs (all 3) will run really fast and then stop on a dime right before where the fence is. They learned their boundaries really quick.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Couldn't they just run though it??

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Couldn't they just run though it??
    Yes they could but the way it works is they get a beeping sound first when they get near the boundries then once they hit or go past the boundry they get shocked which for most dogs is enough to keep them within the boundries.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I have been thinking about one too. But my worry is they would see a cat then just take off. By the time they hear the tone or get shocked, it would be too late.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My friend's dogs always bark at people walking by. Lots of people walk their dogs down the street there as well. Their dogs literally will chase a squirrel, or go running after a dog being walked down the street and will stop immediately right before where the fence is buried. They know exactly where the fence is around the entire yard, and his yard is a pretty large yard (double lot I would guess). It is pretty impressive.

Black
    2005 GTO

I have been thinking about one too. But my worry is they would see a cat then just take off. By the time they hear the tone or get shocked, it would be too late.

This is the one I am looking at.

http://www.petco.com/product/6533/Pe...nt+fence-_-xxx

Petco is running a sale untill the end of dec on them plus free shipping and it has great reviews on every site that I have checked it out on.

What kind of dog do you have ED?

From what I have read on this system there are 5 levels of shock 1 being just audible 2 being the audible when they get close then a lite shock once they hit the boudary and 5 being the hardest shock which should stop most dogs. In the scenario you describe seeing a cat and running after them should not be a problem once the dog passes the bounderies they continue to get shocked for up to 20sec, which should be enough to make them stop and come back into the bounderies. Its not just one quick shock when they pass the boundary it continues untill they return but only for 20sec(for saftey reasons).

I read one review where the owner had one of the underground fences and the dog did just as you described ED saw a squirel and took after it. The dog was smart and started to figure out how to get out of the bounderies. The dog found a spot where if he ran and jumped as high as he could he could get threw the boundery let out one quick yelp because of the shock when he crossed the boundary. With alot of system it just that a shock when they pass over the boundary and nothing more once there past it. The owner then bought the system I am looking at, dog tried his old trick of running and jumping only it did not work. Once past the boundary he continued to get shocked he yelped stoped dead in his tracks and came running back.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You could also make a dog run with some cable.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Very true. The problem with that (from my own experience) is that over time you will not have any grass along where that dog run is b/c the dog will follow the same path back and forth.

If you are not worried about your yard having this rut so to speak, that would be really easy and cheap.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Very true. The problem with that (from my own experience) is that over time you will not have any grass along where that dog run is b/c the dog will follow the same path back and forth.

If you are not worried about your yard having this rut so to speak, that would be really easy and cheap.
    That would be a problem but you could move it around. If you had a wide open yard you could give the dog lots of cable to move around a bit more.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Both of my neighbors on either side of my house installed these (HOA=No fences) in their front yards, one had a massive rottweiler, the other a small beagle. It was installed, and for the week after installation little white flags were stuck along the perimeter of the invisible fence line to give something to help the dogs realize what's happening. After a week the dogs had learned, the flags were removed, the dogs remembered and it worked perfectly. The only time they ever got out was when they weren't wearing the shock collar (Owner mistake, etc).

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    I have one now its just not the same as letting her run free. Honestly all she does is lay around and dig or chew on something when shes out on it, really does't seem like she enjoys it much. Now when I do occasionsly let her run free she has a blast just runs and runs and jumps and runs some more and just has a total blast but I can usually only keep her attention for about 5min or so then shes running down the road then i'm running and running and jumping and running some more to catch her.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I have one for two 100 pound golden retrievers who love to follow their noses until they are 2 miles away. Those two dogs respect that fence. Its great. Yes, they CAN run through it... but the two Goldens I have right now choose not to. Its quite the shock and I imagine the dogs would rather run where they are allowed. Install was simple. When the dogs get to a pre-determined length to the fence, it beeps. They know what the beep means after getting shocked once or twice. You can adjust the sensitivity so that the beeping starts 4-6-8-10 feet away from the blast zone. It was a great investment.

Now, The last Golden I had was a total asshole when it came to that fence sometimes. All he wanted to do was chase deer,rabbit, smell for miles. He would start at the top of the hill and start running. Blow through the fence and off he went. That's not normal though

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Now, The last Golden I had was a total asshole when it came to that fence sometimes. All he wanted to do was chase deer,rabbit, smell for miles. He would start at the top of the hill and start running. Blow through the fence and off he went. That's not normal though
    I can see my dog doing that. He gets schizo when there's a squirrel around.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

wireless dog fences works great for training...

however where they fail at..
    -kids see dog, walk into yard to play or beat dog.. dog bite kid
    -stray dog, or neighbor dog wonders into yard, dog fight starts.

Black
    2005 GTO

Well I went and ordered it. Got an even better deal else where with an extra collar and 12 batteries for the collar for the same price petco had so I jumped on it. I'll let you all know how it works out once I get it.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

back when i was in high school there was a dog who ran through the electric fence and got hit by a school bus...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i also tried one for my boxer at my old house... he'd walk right through it... i made sure it was on his neck right and did everything just to make sure it was right... i thought maybe it wasn't working so i did the jack ass move of trying it myself... jesus friggin god all mighty that shit hurts!!!

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i also tried one for my boxer at my old house... he'd walk right through it... i made sure it was on his neck right and did everything just to make sure it was right... i thought maybe it wasn't working so i did the jack ass move of trying it myself... jesus friggin god all mighty that shit hurts!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    yeah... my ex thought it was funny too... damn bitch...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information