Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Who here knows how to TIG weld?

I got MIG welding down pretty good from my last job. Now, I want to own a TIG welder, I have never TIG welded before. It is catching my eye because of the work I wanna do on my car someday. I have my eye on this setup http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...-Search%20Page.

Anyone have other options? If you know MIG, will TIG come easier? I view knowing how to TIG weld and MIG weld being a great side job money maker and saving big money on turbo setups when you get really good. Who knows how, Opinions?

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Those I know that know how compare it to braising. I've never tried it before though

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

With the exception of a foot control, I find it very much like welding with an oxy/acytelene torch, or brazing

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

TIG is a little more like ARC to me. You have to use a rod that wears down so you have to move across and down at the same time.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I heard the foot control makes it alot easier.

red
    1998 Z28

with tig it all depends on the base metal steel welds pretty much the same no matter what kinda welder u use stainless run smooth its aluminum thats the beast for most people i spent around a month trying to get the hang of it

MIG in my personal opinion is the worst way to weld its my last choice in the shop

ARC is second to none with its strenght

TIG is my baby i love it u can weld almost any metal with it

once u learn to use the foot petal to ur advantage ull love it untill then ull hate it and want to concure it

in short TIG=fun clean and a sexy bead

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Po...I can giT Weld but not Tig. I do it with a TIG welder but I do it in a mirror.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

TIG welding is a different style obviously, but if you know how to do MIG welding, then it might be a bit easier to learn..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I guess I'm old school. I ARC weld exclusively, as someone said it's strength is best.
    If I wanna braze I pull out the brazing head and the tanks..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-08-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Welding uses hot shit to stick shit together.

That's as far as I know about welding.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Having experience mig welding will definitely help you with tig welding. Tig welding is simple if you are just fusing two metals together with no filler rod. Its when you introduce the filler rod that things change. Now you are using two hands separately to weld. One to move your torch and one to move your filler rod. You must keep the torch close to the metal but not to close and introduce your filler rod as needed to make a bead. All this while keeping the torch, rod, and base metals close yet far enough to make a good bead but not to fuse everything together or round off your tungsten. It is definitely the most tricky out of all the types of welding when using filler rod. Just because you must use both hands. It just takes practice, and like I said having welding experience helps. When you get it right, nothings cleaner. No spatter, flux, etc. it all depends what you are welding. Keep in mind too that tig is much hotter then mig. If you have other questions please feel free to pm me.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Well i know that with TIG.. tungsten inert gas, it can be beneficial with welding most things... possibly more precision. You can reduce or decrease heat with either a knob or a foot petal. It is more difficult but with some experience i think if you used MIG (metal inert gas) welding, youd want to use TIG from there out. in MIG welding be careful cuz you obviously dont want to make those carbon gases.. but TIGs are more commonly used on cars and such.. I think youd be more happy with TIG. so learn it and use it!

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I'm a college edjumacated tig welder. And there aint shit jobs on the side to do.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

i want to learn how to weld!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by toityme View Post
    Well i know that with TIG.. tungsten inert gas, it can be beneficial with welding most things... possibly more precision. You can reduce or decrease heat with either a knob or a foot petal. It is more difficult but with some experience i think if you used MIG (metal inert gas) welding, youd want to use TIG from there out. in MIG welding be careful cuz you obviously dont want to make those carbon gases.. but TIGs are more commonly used on cars and such.. I think youd be more happy with TIG. so learn it and use it!
    are you a welder? have you ever welded before? all welding causes gases you know... and they can all be dangerous. Its a matter of having a understanding of what and where you or welding

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    are you a welder? have you ever welded before? all welding causes gases you know... and they can all be dangerous. Its a matter of having a understanding of what and where you or welding
    uuh yeah i know.. just sayin

im a science degree.. i know what heat does to metal and gases.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, Im gonna need 500 for tires now. I dont think I wanna dig any deeper into my nest egg with no job at the moment. I will hopefully have one by mid winter to play with.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I'm a college edjumacated tig welder. And there aint shit jobs on the side to do.
    Just find some of the motorcycle stunt guys. They are always cracking frames and engine cases when they drop their bikes.

Thread Information