Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Who do you consider the best pure athlete ever?

discuss?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Michael Jordan, from this era. Bo Jackson a close 2nd.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Michael Jordan, from this era. Bo Jackson a close 2nd.
    Bruce Lee>mj, bo jackson

Jim Thorpe

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    Bruce Lee>mj, bo jackson
    NB4

Chuck Norris>Bruce Lee

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

NB4

Chuck Norris>Bruce Lee
    seriously prime bruce lee is the best i ever saw

silver
    2002 ws6

gsp

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Wow pure?? Well I think it would depend on the sport..

Muhammad Ali,Lou Gehrig,Jim Brown,Michael Jordan,Wayne Gretzky,Tiger Woods,Lance Armstrong,Michael Schumacher,Dale Earnhardt.. The list can go on IMO. I dont think you have one pure athlete for all. And it also depends on what one person calls a sport compared to another.

artic white
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

How in the world can you even call Dale Earnhardt or any other driver an athlete. While driving at that level does take alot of skill and not everyone can do it, that dosent make them athletic at all. A real athlete is good at alot of different sports. Most pro athletes were stars on all the high school sports they played but were much better at one than the other. I dont think I could see John Force playing football. I dont think they are in any way shape or form athletes. A huge part of becoming a pro driver has nothing to do with you driving ability but depends on who you are and who you know. Do you really think that driving was just breed into all those Pettys.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    seriously prime bruce lee is the best i ever saw
    I would say Bruce Lee is the best ever at martial arts. I wouldn't say Bruce Lee is the best pure athlete ever.

His skills in martial arts may or may not take him very far on a team sport. When I think martial arts, I think of self defense, not a competitive sport. That may or may not be true, just my opinion

Again though, not being disrespectful towards Bruce Lee or martial arts, I have great respect for both. Its just not within my realm of competitive sports or what I was thinking for pure athlete.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

You guys can't be serious with your responses so far.

My pick?

Vladimir Putin

The fuckers 57 years old and check the shit he does for fun:

-Skiing
    -Horseback riding
    -Judo master
    -fishing
    -he hunts tigers, fucking TIGERS
    -sexes up bitches
    -flies bombers
    -spies on sarah palin
    -butterfly stroke in a cold ass river, just cuz he feels like it
    -assassinates the assassins sent to kill him
    -trains dolphins to kill for him
    -he is also a DJ

And what does Obama do? Maybe a pickup game of hoops with his secret service agents? please. Putin is the man.

Pics for proof:

None of the other lame ass politicians can even dream about getting into the shit this guy does to relax.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

@ Iroc

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

@ Iroc
    Totally

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

Joe Mauer apperently he could have played football or basketball or maybe it was hockey too

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Jim thorpe without question is the best pure athlete,check it out on wikipedia.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by krusemj View Post
    How in the world can you even call Dale Earnhardt or any other driver an athlete. While driving at that level does take alot of skill and not everyone can do it, that dosent make them athletic at all. A real athlete is good at alot of different sports. Most pro athletes were stars on all the high school sports they played but were much better at one than the other. I dont think I could see John Force playing football. I dont think they are in any way shape or form athletes. A huge part of becoming a pro driver has nothing to do with you driving ability but depends on who you are and who you know. Do you really think that driving was just breed into all those Pettys.
    Thier skill in driving is exactly what makes them athletes. How can you call a golfer an athlete? How can you call a basketball player an athlete just because he can jog back and forth bouncing a ball? To be an athlete you need strength, endurance, quick reflexes, and be skilled at whatever activity youre performing. A driver is all of these. Strength...stock cars have only had power steering for a few decades now and occasionaly it still fails. Ever drive a car without power steering? Endurance....Imagine sitting in your car in the sun for 4 or 5 hours without air conditioning. The temps inside the cars reach 110 degrees on a regular basis.Drivers regularly lose up to 10 pounds in fluid especialy during the hot months, in one race.When they talk on tv about the air conditioning in the car all it is is a hose pulling in air from outside. Now imagine driving in that heat in rush hour traffic and the other cars dont have brake lights or turn signals. Which brings me to reflexes. You have to have a sharp eye and quick reflexes to avoid some of the accidents that happen in a split second at over 190 mph. And if you knew anything about the drivers most of them have a regular workout schedule. Thats how Mark Martin is still competitive. And not all but most drivers did play baseball or some other sport in school. Dale Jarrett was a baseball star and Kyle Petty played football. And just because you excell at a sport in school doesnt mean that is your destiny. There is a player on the Cardinals football team who had a baseball scholarship at WVU. All physical attributes are part of being an athlete. But a true athletes most powerful tool is his brain. You may be able to throw a 100mph fastball but youre not an athlete if you cant put it over the plate. Running 100 yards in under 10 seconds does you no good if you cant avoid a tackle. This is growing longer so Im gonna wrap it up. I had to laugh a few months ago when they were calling Tiger Woods one of the worlds greatest athletes. If golf is a sport or an athletic event, then so is a race. Know the difference between football, baseball, basketball and autoracing? Football basketball and baseball only take one ball.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
    Thier skill in driving is exactly what makes them athletes. How can you call a golfer an athlete? How can you call a basketball player an athlete just because he can jog back and forth bouncing a ball? To be an athlete you need strength, endurance, quick reflexes, and be skilled at whatever activity youre performing. A driver is all of these. Strength...stock cars have only had power steering for a few decades now and occasionaly it still fails. Ever drive a car without power steering? Endurance....Imagine sitting in your car in the sun for 4 or 5 hours without air conditioning. The temps inside the cars reach 110 degrees on a regular basis.Drivers regularly lose up to 10 pounds in fluid especialy during the hot months, in one race.When they talk on tv about the air conditioning in the car all it is is a hose pulling in air from outside. Now imagine driving in that heat in rush hour traffic and the other cars dont have brake lights or turn signals. Which brings me to reflexes. You have to have a sharp eye and quick reflexes to avoid some of the accidents that happen in a split second at over 190 mph. And if you knew anything about the drivers most of them have a regular workout schedule. Thats how Mark Martin is still competitive. And not all but most drivers did play baseball or some other sport in school. Dale Jarrett was a baseball star and Kyle Petty played football. And just because you excell at a sport in school doesnt mean that is your destiny. There is a player on the Cardinals football team who had a baseball scholarship at WVU. All physical attributes are part of being an athlete. But a true athletes most powerful tool is his brain. You may be able to throw a 100mph fastball but youre not an athlete if you cant put it over the plate. Running 100 yards in under 10 seconds does you no good if you cant avoid a tackle. This is growing longer so Im gonna wrap it up. I had to laugh a few months ago when they were calling Tiger Woods one of the worlds greatest athletes. If golf is a sport or an athletic event, then so is a race. Know the difference between football, baseball, basketball and autoracing? Football basketball and baseball only take one ball.
    To be honest Tiger is one of the greatest athletes.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
    Ricky Carmichael ...nuff said ...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Fuck Tiger woods.

I've read about Jim Thrope, but never seen him perform.

I'd have to say a guy like Barry Sanders, O.J. Simpson, Lawrence Taylor, Ronnie Lott or Champ Bailey are pure athletes. The RBs and DBs are probably the most athletic guys there are.

Ndamukong Suh is a pure athlete as well, trapped in a massive body.

Football guys can excel at basketball too and can usually jump through the ceiling, so add in track and field. Quick, jump far and high.

What more do you need from an athletic stand point.

Dan Marjle is a good pure athlete, he does a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 06-26-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Now back to the original post. The best pure athlete ever probably wouldnt have excelled in any one sport. He also wouldnt have to train or work out because hes the best pure athlete ever. So my vote would have to be Tarzan the ape man. But seriously if I had to think of someone who excelled in everything he did. Was extremely fast, very powerful and could turn on a dime.....Never got to see him play but would love for someone like him to come along today...Jim Brown. He only played 9 seasons and the seasons were shorter than they are now and hes still one of the all time greatest running backs.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information