98 Formula
    06 duramax

where modern day news reporting has gone......

Last week I was in Virginia Beach camping with the family. Thursday morning I get up to take Zach fishing off the pier and we start loading all our stuff up and go to the campground store to get ice. I tell the lady there what our plans are and she recommended I look at the radar first. I looked and there's some nasty shit coming....lots of red. We go hang out in the camper and turn the tv on to watch the local news. A tornado hit a campground a little north of us and killed a couple people and injured several.
    That night the second round moved in and I'm watching the local stations again and watching my phone to see if we needed to find shelter. At the bottom of the tv the local station is scrolling "Severe thunderstorms moving into the area producing heavy rains and damaging winds. Seek a substantial structure to take cover." Then at the end of that was "please send pics to blahblah@blahblah.com"

So instead of getting their own people out on the streets to do their jobs they're now whoring other peoples stuff to get the story. If I ever take a picture like that there will be a heavy price tag attached before any news outlet gets to use it.

red
    95 Z28

Around here they sound out all the brave newbie reporters that are still trying to make a name for themselves and impress the powers that be. While all the senior reporters camp out back at the station

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

They are not going to pay for something that they can get for free. Shots from many different vantage points too. Better coverage than if they had people out there.

If people were smart, they would also expect payment for a really good "money shot"

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's like they say " take cover but keep phones and cameras handy for our 11 o'clock broadcast".

They were following some young boy(13-14 years old) around that was delivering bottles of water to the campsites and asked him what his thoughts were on the people that died after he said he saw them. He said it's something he will never forget. Thanks for keeping it fresh in his mind Mr. Newsman.

blue
    1999 TransAm

i have plenty of qualms w/ news agencies, ...but not sure i see the problem w/ them using "social media" to gather more info...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

why risk your $10,000 camera, reporter, & news van when you have plenty of fools that will run out and post it on any social media for free.

Business sense it's smart money to get for free vs paying royalties. If it's in public domain and no trademark it's fair game.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

WBOC is a joke. Their current weather crew is a bunch of idiots.

Thread Information