1978 Corvette

Unhappy When to put the dog down?

My dog is 15 years old and we had her since she was a pup. She has difficulty moving around but she is still able to go outside and go the bathroom.
    What we decided is to keep her alive as long as she meets the the following criteria....

She can go the bathroom herself
    She is not in alot of pain
    She is able to eat

My 17 year old daughter wants to go with us, and be with her when we put her down, my 20 year old does not want to go. Do you think its ok to bring my youngest daughter with us, I don't think she realizes how hard it will be when the time comes?

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

We just put one of our dogs down and my dad wanted me to bring her to the vet and I told him I wouldnt do it. Its a tough call on whether to bring her or not, id say if she wants to go let her...im sure shes been a big part of the dogs life to and should be there for the last bit if it if needs be.
    Pacesetter Headers & ORY, Magnaflow Catback, P&P TB, Koni SA Shocks, Strano Lowering Springs, TSP228R, PRC Dual Valve Springs, LS6 Ported Oil Pump, Vig. 3200 Stall, TransGo Shift Kit, Trans Cooler, Spohn Panhard Bar, UMI Rear LCA's, Relocation brackets, Torque Arm SFC. 411 hp / 386 ft/tq

Blue
    1998 Ford MUSTANG!

Ask BBB.
    He works at a vet and would give the best advice, i think.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

What we decided is to keep her alive as long as she meets the the following criteria....

She can go the bathroom herself
    She is not in alot of pain
    She is able to eat
    Its all a moral call, though moral may not be the best word to use..

Im guessing this is a larger dog, so of course @ 15 years of age there is gonna be some pain. I was in the same position 3 years ago with my yellow lab.

Have you tried Rimadyl or like medication for relief of pain and inflammation due to canine arthritis? That stuff works wonders!!

As far as letting your daughter view, another tough call..What about letting her come w/ you, say her goodbyes, then step back into the room after the dog is put down..

Watching the life drain from an animal will crush even the strongest person, that may not be something she nor you may want to remember.

I have so much more to say about the matter but Id get carried away.

Final quote, If the dog seems "happy" then IMO the time isnt right, just treasure them while you can!

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I agree, if she can go the bathroom by herself, not in pain, or able to eat, then there would be no reason to put her down. It will be time to put her down when she is in pain or suffering. Keep the ol' girl around a while longer.

Impounded
    We had a dog that lived to 19 years old. but she had gone blind. needed medicines, and was in pain. but she could eat and dump and pee outside. She was such a loyal dog and such a good friend, we couldnt bare to put the dog to rest. but now, she is living in that great delicatessen in the sky, eating bologna, salami, liverworst, etc....

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

When we put our Keeshond Tasha down a few years ago it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. My wife and I made sure we were both there with her when she passed. I wasn't about to let my best friend die surrounded by a bunch of strangers. If your kids love the dog I would recommend that they go along with you. Dying is a part of living and it's something they need to face sooner or later no matter how unpleasant it might be.

My $.02

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Also had a Keeshond 2 of them actually. Good dogs.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink View Post
    Also had a Keeshond 2 of them actually. Good dogs.
    Best dog I ever had. I still miss her to this day.

1978 Corvette

BadBlueBird -

She is currently on Rimadyl and it has worked wonders. She does not have the traditional hip-dysplacia, her nerves that go through her spine are pinched, Cushings disease. She also has some kidney issues, she is half Shepard and half lab. She lost 10 pounds in the last year, 49 down to 37. When she walks it looks pathetic, her hind legs are all over the place and she falls down alot.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by 98MustGT View Post
    BadBlueBird -

She is currently on Rimadyl and it has worked wonders. She does not have the traditional hip-dysplacia, her nerves that go through her spine are pinched, Cushings disease. She also has some kidney issues, she is half Shepard and half lab. She lost 10 pounds in the last year, 49 down to 37. When she walks it looks pathetic, her hind legs are all over the place and she falls down alot.
    That's a pretty serious amount of weight to lose. I'm afraid it doesn't look very good for her. What has your vet had to say?

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

If you are asking the question, unfortunately you already know the answer... In regards to your daughter, this is one of those times when being a family is important. Unless she is unstable, she should be included in the experience. As tough as it is, part of life is dying.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Black
    99 Z28

Well, I have to kind of agree that if you're asking the question, you already know the answer and you are looking for support. Man, I've thought of the day I'll have to make that call. I've only had my guy for 2 years and it brings tears to my eyes to even think that way.

I've already decided that when his quality of life is so low that it's selfish of me to keep him, then it's not fair to make him suffer just so I don't have to. I think as long as the dog is not terribly sufferring and is eating and going to the bathroom on their own, then it's not really time to end it for them. If you can see it in the dog that they're desire to live is disappearing and their quality of life is less and less, then it may be time to make that tough call.

As for your daughter, well... I think that you should prepare her for that. I think that she can make that call better for herself than you may give her credit for. As I see it, losing someone is a terrible thing. Actually seeing them go may be the most terrible experience that I will ever have to deal with. At the end of the day, it's life and as we're all growing older and older, that's a fact of life and it's something we'll all face. Just as I hope I don't die with no one near me in those difficult last few minutes, I would never want to leave someone I love to go with out having someone there with them. It's part for the dog and her wanting to be there for the dog for her final minutes. I'd say that it's something she should experience if she feels she is ready. It may help her later to come to terms with other things that she'll have to face, like seeing you one day in your final moments. Call it... practice? Terrible way to look at it as that's something that no one should ever be good at.

That's a tough call and I pray for your strength and comfort during that time. It's a terrible time for you, whether now or later.

Black
    2005 GTO

Definetly a tough situation but I think you already know what needs to be done. I went through the same thing with or german shepard 5 years ago she was 14 we had her since I was 2. Loved that dog to death she was awesome. We were getting ready to move from NY to FL and she just getting really bad almost like she could sense that every thing was getting ready to change. With in weeks she could't walk or make it out side to go to the bathroom it was really very sad. She would just lay on her bed all day long. Then one day I came home and my mom had taken her to the vet again to see what if anything could be done and the vet said it was time to put her down. My mom started balling along with myself as soon as she walked in the door and told me.

I would leave the decision up to your daughter, maybe just give her some options like what bluebird said let her come with you and say goodbye and then go back to the waiting room and then come back in when it's over. I don't think I would want to be there a watch my dog actually die. I would rather just believe that they went peacefully and not watch the live sucked out of her/him. Ultimatly I would leave it to her if she insist on being there let her. Any way it happens she is going to be sad and upset there's no way around that.

Thread Information