Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

What are you gonna buy?

Been thinking about this a lot lately...especially since the T/A started making noises.

I know there's going to be a time in the coming years where I finally have to pull the trigger and buy a car. I love the T/A to death, and don't plan on ever getting rid of it (except to my dad...he loves the thing every bit as much, if not more, than I do - and I'll just inherit it back from him anyway. Plus he's got more money to take care of her than me.), but the poor thing is damn near a decade old - and some of our cars have already passed the decade mark. Unfortunately, it's showing.

Now, I know a lot of people have no problems with a beater, grocery getter, or whatever you wanna call it...and some have to have one because of family and such, but for me right now...I can't do it. I guess I've gotten addicted to the stares, waves, compliments, etc all of us get pretty much everytime we take our cars out. Not to mention the power is fun, and useful (I feel safer merging into traffic in the T/A than I ever did in my old beater Accord). I've got an old 97 Monte Carlo sitting in the driveway, that I can take whenever I want, but I never do. It runs fine, but I just hate not being proud of what I'm driving.

So, my question is, to those of you in the same boat as me, who want a sharp performance car as a dd but can't afford to drive a 'vette off the lot...what are you considering?

Camaro is obviously near the top, but with the future of it (especially the SS version), and GM as a whole looking bleak in the coming years...hard to say yet if we'll ever see too many of these.

Challenger R/T (SRT8 is overpriced.)? See Camaro SS.

..Mustang? I'd hate to go blue, but I don't not like the look of the new ones, and while it isn't up to par yet with the other two performance wise, it's still selling and Ford is hurting the least out of the other two. And just out of principle I'd still own a Mustang before I'd own an S2000, Genesis, 370Z, etc. Unless they just completely fell apart while the foreign performance cars are only getting better..

What else is there? Anything? Thoughts?

[/worrysome rant]

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

see you're in charlotte--my whole fam is there, and I may be there in May after I graduate... In response to your post--I feel ya. Never loved a car like i did my ws.6--had wanted one as long as i could remember. When I couldn't afford/patient fixing it anymore i was in your boat...last car i thought i'd actually buy i bought-you'll see in avatar...its now a year old; never a problem; much more refined and plenty of performance.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

buy a 1977 pontiac grand prix sj, throw a 540 in it as long as it comes with the four speed and your good

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

I'm just gonna end up throwing a LS9 in my Grand Am and drive it forever and give it a 250 shot. Keep the camaro and chevelle in the garage.

Black
    2005 GTO

Two cars that i've been been considering are the charger r/t and pontiac g8 gt. Just not sure if I can do the 4 door thing.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

GTP

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I already bought my backup its in my sig. Pretty sad when we have to resort to the otherside for our cars now.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Maybe a gently used GTO, or a G8... Cars can call be modified to increase performance when you are financially able to do it.

I have a beater... A $400.00 Mercury Sable wagon from 1998 that just turned 70,000 miles... Yes it is old, slow, and front wheel drive, and sure I have little things that need to be taken care of like with any older vehicle, but I get between 30-32 miles per gallon with it and for the price I paid it just is not a good decision to get something newer.

Bear in mind I do have a suicide knob on the steering wheel, aftermarket CD, and two sub tubes in the back... I will probably oput some old fashioned slotted mags on it this spring and perhaps a set of shorty Mustang headers and I plan on ordering a pair of those old fashioned sidepipes from JC Whitney to run under the doors and exit in front of the rear wheels. I just don't want to grow up and a new exhaust will help gas mileage and performance, as will the lighter weight of new wheels and tires. Plus it will certainly raise an eyebrow or two when I drive through a fast food joint with my gray hair.
    Last edited by tnthub; 02-22-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by michaelinchains View Post
    GTP
    x2

white
    2000 Z28

05-06 gto easy as pie

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My next car will probably be either an Acura TL or a Nissan Maxima.

I bought a GM certified C5 when I saw the new Camaro #'s. I was going to wait but my Z/28 is at 120k and the C5 came waranteed for 23k. Going the certified C5 route is an option.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

G8 GT or GXP... FTW