Black
    2001 WS6

what would you do? shop quality

WWYD?

I'm in the process of trying to get my wheels powdercoated. I go to this shop, and they did my wheels before in the gold. I called them up a few weeks ago concerning repowdercoating them black, and the guy on the phone told me 125 for all 4. I told him one was not powdercoated and he siad that was fine. I also told him that I could only do 2 at a time because it's my daily driver. Fine. So i take the two rims to him, they get done, and look great. So then I go back a half week later, the guy doesnt remember me at first. I thought it was weird cuz i had talked to him for about 10 mins a few days prior. ok. so i get the rims and take them outside. i immediately notice something's off. the rims he did have a metallic sheen to them instead of flat black. I go back in and tell the woman at the desk. She understands, and the guy comes out to look at it. He proceeds to tell me that its the gold shining through ( Which doesnt make sense because one of the rims i just had done was gold and it came out black). So i mention that to him, and he goes i shot them with the same powder. I gave you a good price. ill reshoot them. so he quick scoops up one of the rims and runs off inside. so that brings us to yesterday.
    I get there and the guy doesnt even say hi. He gets the rims, and they look good. I take them out in the sun, and they almost dont even look like they were re done. F*CK. So I go back inside, and the guy comes out. He goes on sayin he sprayed them the same powder. He then says to me that its easier to do them all at once, in which i respond why i cant because its my DD. he said that he could send them to get stripped, but it'd be $25 each. I told the guy how its $50 for me to get the rims installed, plus the gas money each time to go almost an hour to get to this shop. So I point out between the rims, asking if he sees what i mean. So out of no where, he picks up both rims and storms off back into the building. so what the hell. So it'll be ANOTHER week until i see the rims again, and im anticipating it'll be the same thing. What should I say? I told him ive been goin to them because they do good work, cuz he threw that i gave u a good price thing at me again. sure he gave me a good price, but he shouldnt fuck up the job because of it. What would you guys do, say? I've already looked up other shops I can get the rims done at, but its both more time and more money.

Black
    99 Z-28

That isn't that bad I would have them stripped then coated. I had a coworker once take his wheels all 4 22" to the shop that does the powder coating for the company we work for. They told him a week no big deal. Goes back the next week to pick them up. Gone no record of them nothing totally sol. He never thought to get a recipet or work order. Long story short he went to our controller, controller told the company fix it or f off we will go to another powder coater. The guy had his mom call the shop and bitched till they bought him a new set of wheels.
    By the way doesn't powder coating weaken the metal? Also it does add material making the wheel thicker every coating right? Strip them bare then try a different shop.

Black
    2001 WS6

well if he messes up this time ill have to. i havent heard of powdercoating hurting the metal tho

Black
    99 Z-28

Are your wheels steel or aluminum? It is the texture building up on the wheel. It won't look good until it stripped down , then recoated.

Black
    2001 WS6

they're the aluminum speedlines

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Put a foot in his ass

Black
    2001 WS6

part of me wants to wait to see if he does it right this time, and then if he fucks up to take it somewhere else, and tell him how unprofessional he is. The other part of me just wants to say fuck it, give him $25 for one wheel, tell him u shouldnt be responsible for his fuck up, and have him pay the other $25 for the other rim to get stripped and have him do it again.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

in all fairness the right thing to do would've been to give him all 4 at once and have them stipped and done at the same time. Seems like that would've cut out all the BS and would've saved you a bunch of headaches. I realize it's your DD but if you want them done right the first time that's the proper way to do it. Maybe borrow a car or catch a ride from someone for a few days. Saving money never really saves you money.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

when i got my wheels powdered it cost me 100 bucks for all....and they wouldnt even touch them unless they were stripped to bare metal. so im guessing your having problems because it is just material on material, not really having much for the powder to cling to. it needs that bare metal to be charged thru the system and then cling to it. unless their doing a hot flack (heating the rims that are powdered to get the new powder to stick) but still then your just asking for problems as it really doesnt adhere or produce the look its supposed to do

Thread Information