Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Question What would you do in my situation?

Here's the ole dilemma.

My 1999 TA WS.6 has sat for over a year and a half awaiting a new build. It currently has a blown engine; the root cause of 70 track passes and a very hard 10,000 miles in one season. I want to rebuild and even started buying parts for it again. I have a Procharger kit with FMIC, SDCE bracket and Alky control meth kit ready to install. I had Fraser at AES quote me an awesome 398ci engine for the build with Mast LS3 heads. Here's where the problem starts.

I travel non stop for work. I'm currently in Washington/Idaho for work and spent all last year bouncing back and forth from Texas, Oregon, Washington and South Carolina. The car is 2200+ miles away and I spent a few weeks in Michigan all year, tops.

Would you build the car to your liking? I'm not really talking a heads/cam 346 either. It's going to cost a solid 20,000+ to get where I want, and I'm totally fine with blowing money on it. But, since I travel so much for work I may only enjoy it a few times a year. 20,000+ to enjoy it a few times a year seems... silly. Even in my mind, and I think that's really saying something.

I've contemplated selling the car, but would want to put it back to stock as I think the parts on the car plus roller/stock car would net me the highest profit. This option brings me back to the traveling situation. It could takes months to piece out the car with tear down/packaging/shipping and re-assembly with stock parts, plus the actual sale of the car after the fact. That literally seems impossible to me.

So, if you were muah ( Don't worry, your not ) would you:

A. Spend 20,000+ and enjoy it a few days a year?
    B. Save your money and spend it on something that makes cents/sense?
    C. Sell the car
    D. Let it sit in its plastic inflated bubble(it's really in a plastic bubble) for the day I stop traveling and live a normal stationary life
    E. Burn it, with fire. Lots of fire.

I'm open to other thoughts as well.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Build it. It's a passion of yours. You'll eventually enjoy it more one day. I guarantee those few days you'll enjoy it will be worth every penny.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

C and part of B.

Start parting I out now.

Since you travel the country, you can do much better shopping around than most of us. Take you're time and hunt down a deal on a below the rust belt old man owned....

C6Z06.

Then when it's time to settle down, sc it.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Build it. It's a passion of yours. You'll eventually enjoy it more one day. I guarantee those few days you'll enjoy it will be worth every penny.
    While I do agree, I keep slapping myself when plopping down 10,000+ on the engine alone. I do want to stop traveling and own a business sooner then later. This traveling gig is fun for a younger guy and the pay is fairly stellar. So, build the car, let it sit for another...... 2 years maybe and enjoy it later when I stop traveling? I do like the idea of flying home to a fucking badass TA and hitting the track up for my interm trips. That sounds awesome, then it sounds like a harsh reality check after those 3-4 days are up and I'm away from the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    C and part of B.

Start parting I out now.

Since you travel the country, you can do much better shopping around than most of us. Take you're time and hunt down a deal on a below the rust belt old man owned....

C6Z06.

Then when it's time to settle down, sc it.
    I was just at my brothers in Iowa the other day and mentioned this exactly. He shunned the idea, mainly because of having a car payment. It's possible not to have a payment if I paid cash in hand+cash from TA sell out though. I really like this idea, always wanted a vette. Even a C5Z06 gets me going. Love the FRC/x-pipe sound... kinda dislike the IRS though. I wanna get back into drag racing, IRS could be a PITA.

I'm liking this option, good job on making a option F.

And for that, I give you an A.

See what I did there?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have had project cars sitting for years... lots of years. I'll get to them all eventually so time is not really a concern when it comes to something that I truly enjoy. You have a great foundation for a killer build along with the skills and finances to do it. Time will come to complete it and time will come to enjoy it. I vote "A" or "D".

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

That's some damn wisdom speaking there.

Check.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

That way when you get home for the few days a year, you have a toy already to play with. Not just a project.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Jeff's a pretty smart guy...just sayin

You're young and if the money really is that stellar right now you can build the TA like you've always wanted and have that be your badass weekend strip car AND get yourself a Z06 in time. Best of both worlds IMO.

Although I would nearly always agree that dumping that much money into a car that is going to do nothing but de-value over time is a bad business choice, I do it for these reasons...

- Whenever I feel like shit, I know I'm only a few steps away from making my worries all vanish.
    - Every time I go for a cruise I get tons of compliments on it and that makes me happier than a man in a whore-house.
    - There's something about going to the track and not only being able to watch, but also run your car down the track. It gives you an adrenaline rush like no other.

Just remember...

"Nitrous is nice, but I rather be blown"

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

I vote C6 Z06. With a caveat.

After spending mucho $$$ on the T/A it is still going to be a T/A and never worth as much as the Z06.

Not to mention it will never have the Wow factor.

Though personally, if I were going to spend that kind of $$ on a toy and wanted to wrench, I'd go Cobra kit.

All the performance, more Wow than either, and if it's built right a reasonably sound investment.

Something special to come home to after being on the road.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I agree with Jeff and Jon.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

I say you build the T/A, one of the best looking cars on the road imo.

White
    '10 ZR1

I certainly wouldn't sell the car just yet. Does it owe you anything? I'm guessing by how you're talking, you have a clear title in hand. Congrats on that!

I'll use myself as an example. 10 to 12 years ago, I had a '94 Trans Am GT with ~20,000 miles on it. It's the first and only car I've ever bought new. What I realized is that it's not really ever going to be worth anything, I felt the need to sell it, and buy something that would help me maintain value. So, I sold it and bought a very nice '67 roller Nova. Through the years, other priorities took precedence, and the Nova was left sitting....BUT, it didn't owe me a dime.....almost like an old valuable gun. It never really loses its value. Fast forward to this year. After many years of hard work, and dedication I'm free of most of my debt, and I bought an engine and transmission for the Nova. It's my lifelong dream to drag race competitively. A few times a year I've shined up the car dreaming about an engine sitting under the hood that will sail me in to the low 10's or high 9's. I think this year is finally the year. I know I won't get to race as many times as I want to this year, but I'm going to ease in to it. I can't wait!

So, don't sell it!

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I never understood buying a car based on resale value and wow factor. I for one have never cared what others think of my car. If its the car you like and want to play with than go with that. He'd have to keep that Z06 until he's 50 to have a any shot of ever not taking a loss on resale
    If you love your T/A and its always been something you've wanted than I say keep it and build it. If not sell and get something else down the road when you stop traveling so much for work

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Keep it as a project, if its not costing you anything and you arent strapped for cash aka need to sell it to pay bills. And you love the car then whats the problem here?

Just keep it and if you settle down then build it, if you never settle down and become an international business man who only has time to work, travel and have sex with asian hookers then sell it.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 01-26-2012 at 09:37 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I never understood buying a car based on resale value and wow factor. I for one have never cared what others think of my car. If its the car you like and want to play with than go with that. He'd have to keep that Z06 until he's 50 to have a any shot of ever not taking a loss on resale
    If you love your T/A and its always been something you've wanted than I say keep it and build it. If not sell and get something else down the road when you stop traveling so much for work
    I probably could've left out my reasons, but it's true for me. I really didn't want that TA anymore, and was looking forward to getting to my goal sooner(drag racing competitively), and not losing money in doing so while I was waiting. Either way, we have the same opinion. Ron should keep his car if that's what he's saying, and he wants to build it up.

Ray Charles blue

If I were you I would either keep it and build it like you plan OR..........dump it and get something you could take with you to new places. Such as a newer Corvette.

Ray Charles blue

The IRS on a Z06 is plenty good for some..........whats his name is running a bolt on ONLY Z06 in the 9s.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've always thought, if the Camaro's motor goes or it gets wrecked into, I'll more than likely sell it. Then get a C5 Z06.

Now if I had a T/A, I probably already would of modded the hell out of it, like you want to do.

I've had my car in storage, pretty much since the day I bought it 6 years ago. I only find time to drive it a few times a year and I haven't put any real mileage on it. I haven't spent 20k on it either like you plan to do. And I think it's totally worth it. But if you like the platform, like I like the Z06s platform, then yes, mod it.

hugger orange

KEEP THE CAR!!!!! Seriously, you don't need to sell it, you have the time to save up and build it as big and badass as you'd like, you do enjoy it when you get to play with it.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    If I were you I would either keep it and build it like you plan OR..........dump it and get something you could take with you to new places. Such as a newer Corvette.
    I agree with the first part..........but I have a different stance on the second part. If you're going to dump it, then dump it and start a separate savings account with that money, and add "X" amount to it weekly/monthly until you have enough money to buy what you want with cash, whenever that may be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information