Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nothing special
    Nothing special

What went wrong at GM

Pretty interesting 'listen', if you have about an hours time.

Also a good article here.

Some fun, interesting tidbits:
    Some workers hated management so much, they sabotaged the vehicles.
    They put Coke bottles inside the door panels so they would rattle and annoy customers
    so few workers showed up some mornings, managers didn't have enough able bodies to start the line: They would “ go right across the street to the bar, grab people out of there and bring them in,"
    "So we had Monte Carlos with Regal front ends and vice versa," he recalled. There were cars with engines put in backwards, cars without steering wheels or brakes.

Black
    01 Silverado

i have welded on 1 car and 2 trucks that the door pillars or quarters were filled with styrofoam peanuts and wouldnt know till they were ablaze

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Tide View Post
    Pretty interesting 'listen', if you have about an hours time.

Also a good article here.

Some fun, interesting tidbits:
    Makes you proud to buy American dont it ???

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

wow. just wow.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I guess folks just like to be lazy and spiteful? Didn't watch the links but my gut says what I posted is justified.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I guess folks just like to be lazy and spiteful? Didn't watch the links but my gut says what I posted is justified.
    While I agree with what you said, I also understand what its like to resent and despise management too.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Simple business, management has power. Management knows they have power and some of them do whatever the fuck they want, make a lot of money, they only want the good points of the biz/job and dump the shit off on someone else, said shit finds its way down hill. Well the people at the bottom of the hill get sick of it and you get one hell of a problem on your hands. The management for the big 3 were greedy as fuck. Bottom line.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    While I agree with what you said, I also understand what its like to resent and despise management too.
    I see the same thing at Honda everyday ... Not that they intentionally make cars bad but they do dislike management a lot .. I just say .. Go find a job somewhere else where you can make $25 a hour ...Im sure there is plenty of people who would kill to have your job ...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Simple business, management has power. Management knows they have power and some of them do whatever the fuck they want, make a lot of money, they only want the good points of the biz/job and dump the shit off on someone else, said shit finds its way down hill. Well the people at the bottom of the hill get sick of it and you get one hell of a problem on your hands. The management for the big 3 were greedy as fuck. Bottom line.
    I agree. Ya don't treat your employees right...well...^^ happens.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yep treat your employees bad and they will do whatever they can to screw you over. Ive seen shitty managers take stores that were top of the district at my old company and run them straight into the ground b/c they didnt treat their people right. Also once this done it can take alot longer to turn it around then it did to run it into the ground.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

powerful unions ftl.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    I see the same thing at Honda everyday ... Not that they intentionally make cars bad but they do dislike management a lot .. I just say .. Go find a job somewhere else where you can make $25 a hour ...Im sure there is plenty of people who would kill to have your job ...
    i would kill to make 25 an hour right now. Instead I get fucked repairing the cars built by people that make 25 an hour lol

I do think that the autoworkers as a whole think they are worth way more then they are for what they actually do. They want absurd money to do the same thing over and over again. And the equipment they use to do their tasks does a good portion of the work at that. When they build a car, its nothing like what its like when you repair one in a service bay at a dealership. They'd really be crowing if they got what I get paid and have to work on the whole car, not just the fuckin bumper.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Yep treat your employees bad and they will do whatever they can to screw you over. Ive seen shitty managers take stores that were top of the district at my old company and run them straight into the ground b/c they didnt treat their people right. Also once this done it can take alot longer to turn it around then it did to run it into the ground.
    Yup they walk around with their coffee and cigarette all day bothering people, in between riding the parking lot on their new harley. THen they yell at a few employess over something, review some numbers, take a lunch at god knows where, and then go home.

Oh wait, thats just my boss maybe?

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

i would kill to make 25 an hour right now. Instead I get fucked repairing the cars built by people that make 25 an hour lol

I do think that the autoworkers as a whole think they are worth way more then they are for what they actually do. They want absurd money to do the same thing over and over again. And the equipment they use to do their tasks does a good portion of the work at that. When they build a car, its nothing like what its like when you repair one in a service bay at a dealership. They'd really be crowing if they got what I get paid and have to work on the whole car, not just the fuckin bumper.
    as what you say is true .. it does seem most of the time the people who complain the most are the ones who get promotions .. So you get a lot of people making decisions that have no business doing so .. So all they do is walk around and not take care of things that they really should ..

Or you have a good boss [or TC as they are called here ] that cant do his job because he has so many butt-heads that stay out that he has to go online, so he cant do his jobs ...

1998 Trans Am

lol at this comment:

This was an interesting story, but a doubt was put into my mind by Billy Haggerty's statement that "There were cars with engines put in backwards".

Unless GM's engines were a lot different than the ones that I've seen, this isn't possible. It isn't like there are mounting bolts and a flywheel at both ends of an engine and the installer can take his pick about how to plug it in....

...One end attaches to the transmission and the other end is where the belt pulleys mount, unless these guys were able to special-order engines for incorrect installation.

A car with a backward engine would run in reverse...
    just wow.
    Last edited by justinmc978; 04-25-2010 at 03:16 PM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Yeah the engine going in backwards just isnt even fuckin possible. I'd like to know where that comment even came from

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Yeah the engine going in backwards just isnt even fuckin possible. I'd like to know where that comment even came from
    IDK .. get a team of Engineers with nothing to do ...

you know them there the guys that make like $40 a hour to find out that its a pop rivet not a screw ....

1998 Trans Am

one of the workers probably just set it in there and said "there we go.. ..wait... #$@&!.. well, i'll fix it after lunch."

black
    02 ss camaro

I would think being in Jersey as a tech at a dealer you'd make atleast $25 an hour?

Going rate here in Chi-town is $30 an hour for dealership journeyman techs

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    IDK .. get a team of Engineers with nothing to do ...

you know them there the guys that make like $40 a hour to find out that its a pop rivet not a screw ....
    indeed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information