black
    98 WS6

Black
    1998 Ford F-150

There's a moral delima there. On one hand, he did mindlessly kill his patrol dog. But on the other hand, it was a family emergency. I say he gets suspended a few days without pay, or maybe gets demoted into a non-canine unit?

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

kill him

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

"Police did not release details about how long the animal was left in the car or what time the incident occurred."

Exactly, how the fuck does that happen anyway.

Black
    99 Z28

holy crap, my head hurts from trying to take a side here.

Tragedy for sure.

I'm saying that he had too much on his shoulders to be responsible for the dog. He shouldn't have been on the K9 unit.

It says that the child was undergoing treatment, but it doesn't say that there was a life threatening emergency that was required.

As many K9 officers will tell you, they consider their dog their partner. In consideration of my relationship with my dog, he is just like my kid. The amount of guilt he's probably dealing with right now is probably up there in the same level as the guy with the kid a couple of days ago.

What should his boss do? Good question. I don't think he should be working until his children are through treatment. It's sad to "kick him when he's down" with his family issues and the guilt of essentially killing his partner, but he has no business working as a cop right now.

I suppose he should be held to the same animal cruelty charges that I would have to face if I did that.

I think killing a K9 cop has a higher level of punishment than a civilian dog, but I'm not so sure about that.

Help the guy work through stuff to get his shit sorted out so that he can handle things again, let the courts decide about what punishments to hand out, have him do them and evaluate again after completion.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I say fire his boss. His boss didn't notice his mental condition was compromised because of personal issues. He should have been riding a desk until he was more mentally sound. OTOH, he could have easily radioed any other cop to go let the dog out, how did he completely forget about it.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

administrative leave with pay during investigation. reinstatement not in k9 unit.

the guy clearly wasn't thinking clearly due to other concerns but he should not be allowed to handle dogs again. and he shouldn't be fired considering his well documented and apparently stellar career up until this point.

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I say fire his boss. His boss didn't notice his mental condition was compromised because of personal issues.
    yeah, that too.

If it came up at all, the officer would have probably tried to play hero and said "I can handle it", etc....

Sometimes, as a boss, you gotta make that call anyway.

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

i agree with those who said he should've radioed another officer. and since he was a police dog, they are permitted in any premises, i guess maybe not in a hospital, though? he couldn't take the dog with him?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    OTOH, he could have easily radioed any other cop to go let the dog out, how did he completely forget about it.
    Maybe, maybe not. The experience that I have with working K9, especially Law Enforcement types, they are not always friendly dogs. Even if they are not supposed to be bite or apprehension dogs, if you are not their handler and open the door of that dog's car...you might be very quickly in a bad situation with a potentially aggressive and confused dog on the lose. I would actually say that this would be the last option unless the officer was one on the K9 unit and one that the dog knew very well.

This situation seems like a Catch 22 all the way around. For the officer, his supervisor and the department.

I try to put myself in his shoes and think that being at work wouldn't be very smart but then again his family has medical expenses of a sick child added to the day to day grind. Maybe his kid couldn't afford treatment without the guy working. I don't think there is a right answer to this situation. It's a sad situation and given the officer's record, I hope he can over come it and continue to serve and excel. I hope for the best for his child and family and wish his situation on no one.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

He needs to be suspended without pay and then put behind a desk permanently. Ok, his kid has cancer I feel horrible for him and his family but that's no excuse. Odds are his kid was there for treatment and it wasn't a life or death situation at that moment. He blatantly forgot about his dog and it not only died but died horrifically. If he can't handle more than one thing at a time he shouldn't be a cop anyway.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Speak of the devil. Between the cancer and having a woman for a dad the cops kid is a gonner.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142956

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1 View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. The experience that I have with working K9, especially Law Enforcement types, they are not always friendly dogs. Even if they are not supposed to be bite or apprehension dogs, if you are not their handler and open the door of that dog's car...you might be very quickly in a bad situation with a potentially aggressive and confused dog on the lose. I would actually say that this would be the last option unless the officer was one on the K9 unit and one that the dog knew very well.

This situation seems like a Catch 22 all the way around. For the officer, his supervisor and the department.

I try to put myself in his shoes and think that being at work wouldn't be very smart but then again his family has medical expenses of a sick child added to the day to day grind. Maybe his kid couldn't afford treatment without the guy working. I don't think there is a right answer to this situation. It's a sad situation and given the officer's record, I hope he can over come it and continue to serve and excel. I hope for the best for his child and family and wish his situation on no one.
    I see what you mean but I can see NO catch 22 there whatsoever.
    why?
    cause I have NEVER seen a cop turn their car off while on duty. N E V E R
    their excuse is that the computer, radar and other stuff would kill the battery
    why the FACK did he turn the car off?
    that's where we should start IMO

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Fucking Asshole.

Thread Information