Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Talking What is the absolute best mustang 5.0 intake?

Looks like i'm gonna have to replacement the injectors on my daily driver, that means pulling the intake........so i'm considering upgrading....I asked this at a mustang forum but it just turned into an argument (between members) and went off topic so i decided to ask here.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

My ex husband and his buddies swore by the GT40 intake.

red
    69 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    Looks like i'm gonna have to replacement the injectors on my daily driver, that means pulling the intake........so i'm considering upgrading....I asked this at a mustang forum but it just turned into an argument (between members) and went off topic so i decided to ask here.
    For a DAILY DRIVER, the Explorer intake wins hands down!
    Different years (~pre and post '98) will have the center egr passage in them. Do a search.

The explorer intake is unlike any other 5.0 intake. It was designed by ford, using the Ford internal models, and using $$$$$ air flow analysis. The cyl to cyl distribution is the most uniform you'll find. The intake is designed for a torque and HP range in the low to mid-range RPMs. In other words for real world daily driving!

NOTE: If you want max HP, or an intake for the quarter mile, then there are better intakes.

If you want the intake that will give you the most Power, Torque, and Gas Mileage, for real world daily driving, then the Explorer wins hands down every time.

Feel free to look at the HP, torque, curves of different intakes, and the cyl to cyl flow.
    Or, like I often say, go with what was designed by the Ford Engineers that know the engine/car, have all of the models, have the extremely expensive simulation tools, do very extensive testing in real world conditions (in test chambers and on the road), etc.

If you want even more from your Explorer intake, send TMOSS a PM on one of the forums. He's very straight forward, he does not BS people, and feel free to search for threads on his work and the results. IIRC, TMOSS offers different porting options. For a DD, you likely just want port matching and minor cleanup.

From a quick google search:
    Official Explorer/GT40/Cobra intake thread - Ford Mustang Forums

BTW, which stang forum? The one that starts with "c" or "s"? I don't recall seeing that thread. But, I ignore a lot of the threads since, imho, the ricers have taken over a huge portion of the posting in just about all auto forums. sigh...

Good Luck!
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 08-10-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by NE-Firebird View Post
    Different years (~pre and post '98) will have the center egr passage in them. Do a search.

The explorer intake is unlike any other 5.0 intake. It was designed by ford, using the Ford internal models, and using $$$$$ air flow analysis. The cyl to cyl distribution is the most uniform you'll find. The intake is designed for a torque and HP range in the low to mid-range RPMs. In other words for real world daily driving!

NOTE: If you want max HP, or an intake for the quarter mile, then there are better intakes.

If you want the intake that will give you the most Power, Torque, and Gas Mileage, for real world daily driving, then the Explorer wins hands down every time.

Feel free to look at the HP, torque, curves of different intakes, and the cyl to cyl flow.
    Or, like I often say, go with what was designed by the Ford Engineers that know the engine/car, have all of the models, have the extremely expensive simulation tools, do very extensive testing in real world conditions (in test chambers and on the road), etc.

If you want even more from your Explorer intake, send TMOSS a PM on one of the forums. He's very straight forward, he does not BS people, and feel free to search for threads on his work and the results. IIRC, TMOSS offers different porting options. For a DD, you likely just want port matching and minor cleanup.

Click for full size

BTW, which stang forum? The one that starts with "c" or "s"? I don't recall seeing that thread. But, I ignore a lot of the threads since, imho, the ricers have taken over a huge portion of the posting in just about all auto forums. sigh...

Good Luck!

FORD 5.0 GT- EXPLORER UPPER & LOWER INTAKE WITH WIRES

Is this a good deal?

red
    69 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    I'm not familiar with the going prices of intakes anymore.
    A few things:
    1) You can not use the EGR with that intake. Notice that there isn't a hole in the center of the bottom part to pass the exhaust gases up to the TB. So, that intake is not good if you need to pass smog.

2) It looks like it has the TB also. You can modify the TB linkage to fit on a Fox/sn95. A search on the "c" or "s" site should give you plenty of info. IIRC, the explorer TB is either 60mm or 65mm. Again, a search will say for sure.
    If you don't have a bigger TB already, then that's a good savings.
    IIRC, you'd need an matching (bigger) EGR or spacer plate because of the idle control valve. Don't do bigger TB, stock egr plate, bigger intake opening (like on the Explorer, IIRC).

3) That intake looks clean.

4) Shipping for the intake can get expensive, especially from a private seller. So, if you can pick that up, that could be a good savings.

5) The harness is likely for an ?Explorer?. Or maybe an 94/95 - because of the bend after the opening, and the EGR.
    Maybe you can get it cheaper without the harness, or sell it on ebay, or the classified forums.

6) IIRC, getting a proper fitting gasket for the upper to lower can be a slight hassle. I know that some don't/didn't line up very well.
    I suggest asking a question on the Stang forums, or do a search, before you order the gasket. Or, get a Ford OEM gasket (if you can).

7) The HP and torque curves do not tell everything there is to know about an intake for daily driving. It's one aspect - like how the Stang runs in WOT. So, again, imho, the Explorer is the ideal DD intake. That's why Ford designed it, and used it for many years (unchanged other than the EGR passage) on the very well selling, and very profitable, Explorers.

8) The GT40, Cobra, and Explorer intakes are all very good intakes for daily driving, the track, etc. Imho, any is an improvement, even for a DD, over the stock. But, if you're going to pick and buy one for a daily driver, then get the Explorer.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 08-10-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by NE-Firebird View Post

Click for full size

Good Luck!
    Explorers are GT40P top ends. Hardly any difference aside easy to find for cheap

Thread Information