Vista gaming people enter

I have been researchin gettin Vista Ultimate and my computer seems more then up to the challenge on the hardware department, and everything but my Nero and Alcohol 120% as far as software passed, but the compadiblity software seemed to neglect my entire game folder. I have a HUGE collection of games (all legit btw) and I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with any games on Vista yet? I know I have seen a few patches for newer games out there if there were any major faults, and obviously all new games will be fine... but I am more worried about alot of my older stuff working, hell I still play Doom, Hexen, Heretic, Quake, Unreal and a bunch of others of that sort when I feel the need... and they were hard enough to get working right on XP. Doom still wants to run at light speed everyonce in awhile... I'm afraid I'd lose ALL my classics switching over. I can't bare to lose Longbow 2 again, I spent hundreds of man hours in that beast and XP broke my heart.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

I believe the only one running Vista that I know is Eddierox.

Hopefully he will reply to this thread.

Black
    2004 Z06

I haven't had any problems yet. Only a couple of my favorite demos took awhile to render but came through allright.

I'm not totally confident I gaurantee each game.

I have more problems with Media Player 11 than any other problem with Vista for some reason with slow playback and this the word thus far.

I suggest you go to Nvidias Nzone and download and play some games and demos to see how they work.

I'm about 99% sure that you will need to add memory ... up to 2 gigs as well getting the fastest hardwares possible.
    Faster CPU, Video Card, HD certainly helped my rig.

Red
    02 T/A WS6 M6

I installed a poker game on the new laptop i bought that came with vista home premium and it was kind of laggin on me. It would play just fine then it would just lag like crazy (at random, and doesnt require you to be on net to play) I havent installed any other games on yet but when i do i will let you know.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

heretic was the shit... there was also witchaven that was an awesome game also...
    Last edited by Spaz; 04-02-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I play Diablo 2, which was made around 2000, and I've heard from a lot of people haven't been able to play it on their new Vista systems. It runs fine on XP machines. A lot of older games don't seem to work well (if at all) with Vista.

Black
    2004 Z06

I think the main culprit is that Vista is in Direct X 10.

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by eddierox View Post
    I think the main culprit is that Vista is in Direct X 10.
    Bingo did you discover which version of DirectX comes with the Vista upgrade?

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    Bingo did you discover which version of DirectX comes with the Vista upgrade?
    Yes it's definitley Direct X 10. I noticed Direct X 10 also pretty much takes care of everything, just about no adjustments in any graphics solutions need to be made.

Click RUN
    type dxdiag
    Go to Display tab to check your version and graphics performance.

I work for a university that got Vista early, its nothing but problems. Wait till there's service pack 1 out and you have a dual core machine to run it on. Along with a new direct X that your game has been coded to run with. XP is still the king when it comes to gaming

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason View Post
    I work for a university that got Vista early, its nothing but problems. Wait till there's service pack 1 out and you have a dual core machine to run it on. Along with a new direct X that your game has been coded to run with. XP is still the king when it comes to gaming
    I recommend sticking with XP until you can figure out all the little nuances in Vista.

I can't even imagine a University Vista with admin rights and blocks rampant on it.

I have my Vista blazing now and I'm still in 478/AGP but I know how to get around on Vista and make wildazz performance parameters ... so ... happy to help out.

Blood Red
    Z28

I love that you are trouble shooting the new OS for us Eddie!

Do you think that a service pack is imminent in the near future?

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    I love that you are trouble shooting the new OS for us Eddie!

Do you think that a service pack is imminent in the near future?
    Well Vista is whole different breed of cat of OS.

Everything is done online. Updates, drivers blah blah blah ... you have to activate Vista online while you are installing or it won't install.

Some peripheral drivers you'll need to go that manufactures website and download and install the new Vista drivers for that particular device ... which are better than Vista drivers anyway.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by eddierox View Post
    you have to activate Vista online while you are installing or it won't install.
    Thats stupid as hell... I should be able to install an OS on a computer with no connection to the outside world at all....

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Thats stupid as hell... I should be able to install an OS on a computer with no connection to the outside world at all....
    Well you can't even counterfeit Vista.
    What they are called is cracks.

I have a code and server crack that only updates say your Home Basic which is the least expensive to Business Vista.

Purposely this crack is called the Melinda Gates Crack ... hee hee

But I have no need for it since I'm in Ultimate.

Well I have a rather overclocked core2 6700 with 4gb of ram and 1gb of pciex video ram with my dual crossfire radeon x1900's, so hardware isnt an issue but ive had problems getting some older games to run on my xp pro, i would imagine i might have an even bigger problem switchin to vista.

ps. what file format does vista use, ntfs or is there a new one now?

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    Well I have a rather overclocked core2 6700 with 4gb of ram and 1gb of pciex video ram with my dual crossfire radeon x1900's, so hardware isnt an issue but ive had problems getting some older games to run on my xp pro, i would imagine i might have an even bigger problem switchin to vista.

ps. what file format does vista use, ntfs or is there a new one now?
    Your hardware is perfect so no prob.

Yes Vista is in NTFS and is designed to sit down on XP and you have the option of saving all of your old XP into a folder called Windows.old which can be easily accessed when Vista is installed.

I believe you may also revert back to XP should Vista not work out.

Games and such are a crapshoot with Vista.
    I haven't run into any games that don't work yet with Vista with the main complaint being lowered FPS (frames per second) in some games or slowdowns and freezes.

You will need to know how to adjust timings in your video card which is an impossibility in Vista except with ATI Tools beta027 the only known Video clocking and adjustment that works.

You will need to find a decoder that works with your ATI and this might be a cure.

I'm using nVidia Platinum

Thread Information