2001 Camaro SS M6

Question Tyson vs Ali?

Who would win IN THEIR PRIME? I pick Tyson

Discuss
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

1981 g-Body

In their prime Tyson(85-late '88) would've ko'd Ali in the 2nd round.
    Ali beat way better fighters than Tyson's ever fought, however that's not tyson's fault that he was the only good boxer of the late 80's.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by x-40oz-x View Post
    In their prime Tyson(85-late '88) would've ko'd Ali in the 2nd round.
    Ali beat way better fighters than Tyson's ever fought, however that's not tyson's fault that he was the only good boxer of the late 80's.
    I agree with you. Ali's only chance would be to take it the distance since Tyson had lung problems and would gas out in later rounds. The way I have it is:

Tyson was faster
    Tyson was more powerful
    Ali was more technical

i pick...hmmmmmm......Laila Ali

Impounded
    gmcheviac

These days Ali would dodge every punch with ease. Not by his own will, but he would dodge them

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    These days Ali would dodge every punch with ease. Not by his own will, but he would dodge them

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Couple things to consider. Foreman was the Tyson of his time. He was big and mean and he walked through everyone. When Ali beat Foreman big George was so devistated that he retired from boxing. Several years later when he was in his 40's Foreman was still big and bad enough to regain and hold onto the heavy weight title. This is a guy Ali beat when he was in his prime. Tyson was incredibly powerful. But Ali was smarter, faster, and a better all around boxer. Both in their prime Ali beats Tyson. Quick question. If Ali wasnt the greatest then why is eveyone compared to him and not someone else?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Now I am trying to remember which of Ali's fights were more popular

vs Frasier

or

vs Foreman

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
    If Ali wasnt the greatest then why is eveyone compared to him and not someone else?
    Cas Tyson is thought of as a nut job

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Street rules or prison rules?

white
    2000 Z28

tyson was in a league of his own early in his career. but he was in peoples heads before they even stepped into the building on fight night. ali's head was too big to be intimidated. without intimidation tyson has no chance.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I really think Tyson was faster, a couple things to consider in this fight.

Ali liked to rope a dope (Wouldn't work with Tyson, he was too powerful)
    Tyson really didn't need to intimidate (Even though it helped) He owns the worlds fastest knock out in the junior olympics at 8 seconds and started fighting since he was 12 years old. Watch how fast Tyson can move and punch, Ali had a fast 1-2 jab but alot of matches where Tyson was beat, he had no glass jaw, he could take some bombs. I agree Ali had the stiffer competition but that isn't Tyson's fault.

I've come to all of my conclusions after watching a Tyson doc and a Ali doc. Seen both of them fight (Obviously not live)

didnt we have this convo already hahaha

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I really think Tyson was faster, a couple things to consider in this fight.

Ali liked to rope a dope (Wouldn't work with Tyson, he was too powerful)
    Tyson really didn't need to intimidate (Even though it helped) He owns the worlds fastest knock out in the junior olympics at 8 seconds and started fighting since he was 12 years old. Watch how fast Tyson can move and punch, Ali had a fast 1-2 jab but alot of matches where Tyson was beat, he had no glass jaw, he could take some bombs. I agree Ali had the stiffer competition but that isn't Tyson's fault.
    Myself and everybody else out there will agree that Tyson was fast and had one hell of an arm. Ali and his playing possum routine wouldnt have worked too well as Tyson would of K.Oed his ass.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Myself and everybody else out there will agree that Tyson was fast and had one hell of an arm. Ali and his playing possum routine wouldnt have worked too well as Tyson would of K.Oed his ass.
    I agree with you

white
    2000 Z28

ali's entertainer wouldnt work, i agree with that but both guys could clearly take some hits. ali just happened to be able to take matches to the late rounds which is clearly not tyson's strong point. not taking anything away from mike at all. he still has a good chance of landing the one shot but he had his opponents beat before the bell rang to start the fight. without that intimidation i think tyson becomes a lot more of a normal strong puncher than a world beater. personally ali's ego was so big it blinded him from facts at times but it would easily nullify tyson getting in his opponents heads.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Ali.

I saw Ali and Foreman and by the time that fight happened Ali was already older and slower and Foreman could punch with the best of them.

I watched Foreman destroy Joe Frazier (twice) and it wasn't even close, and Frazier was every bit the puncher that Tyson was. Frazier was the guy with the left hook that put Ali on the mat in their first of three fights and he waited until the fight was almost over to do it. In my opinion Joe Frazier was never the same after that first fight.

Ali had already served time in prison by the time he fought Frazier for the first time. To truly evaluate the raw speed of Ali you need to look at Ali before he fought Frazier... Ali was a monumental talent and he had a tough jaw to go with it.

Sure Tyson was big, fast, and probably the most powerful puncher of all, but he did not have the skills or the ring smarts of Ali. Ali went 15 rounds in Madison Square Garden with Joe Frazier in their first fight and got up after Frazier floored him. I can't picture Tyson lasting that long and still retaining that type of power, and when Ali was in his prime (before the first fight with Frazier) I simply can't see Tyson being able to land the blows necessary to take out Ali.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Ali.

I saw Ali and Foreman and by the time that fight happened Ali was already older and slower and Foreman could punch with the best of them.

I watched Foreman destroy Joe Frazier (twice) and it wasn't even close, and Frazier was every bit the puncher that Tyson was. Frazier was the guy with the left hook that put Ali on the mat in their first of three fights and he waited until the fight was almost over to do it. In my opinion Joe Frazier was never the same after that first fight.

Ali had already served time in prison by the time he fought Frazier for the first time. To truly evaluate the raw speed of Ali you need to look at Ali before he fought Frazier... Ali was a monumental talent and he had a tough jaw to go with it.

Sure Tyson was big, fast, and probably the most powerful puncher of all, but he did not have the skills or the ring smarts of Ali. Ali went 15 rounds in Madison Square Garden with Joe Frazier in their first fight and got up after Frazier floored him. I can't picture Tyson lasting that long and still retaining that type of power, and when Ali was in his prime (before the first fight with Frazier) I simply can't see Tyson being able to land the blows necessary to take out Ali.
    Tyson would never last 15 rounds due to his lung problem. He was always in the hospital as a child. If it went the distance, Tyson would be done.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Ali.

i agree with his view even though as a kid/teen i loved Tyson and watched EVERY fight that was on HBO in those days. i think Ali would beat him prime to prime. as stated before Forman and Frazier were every bit the puncher that Tyson was and Ali made his living in the era of the likes of them. Tyson never really was tested in his prime.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I do want to say this.........just because Ali was super egotistical (Fat Head) doesn't mean that prime for prime Tyson wouldn't have scared him a bit. I know all this is speculation but at this point with this discussion, thats all that can be done. I believe it would be an epic battle to say the least with my outcome as follows:

Quick match goes to Tyson
    Distance match goes to Ali

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information