98 Formula
    06 duramax

TV nerds......connection question

I'm finally getting around to hooking up my surround and dvd player to the new TV. That part I got figured out. I'm using components out of the surround from the DVD player to the TV. That's really the only option I have because my surround only has component, composite, and s-video and my TV only has component and hdmi. Anywho....did a test run of a couple DVD's and I was wondering if there's any way to get the black bars from the top and bottom. I realize this is the format difference between the big screen and my TV but what's the point of buying a widescreen if you loose 6-8" off the top and bottom? I tried the settings I had available for the TV but no difference. Am I missing something? Is there something else I can change that will correct it? I don't mind having small bars top and bottom but these things are frigin huge.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

On mine you can change the aspect ratio, did you try that? I know you said you fiddled with the setting but I may have missed what settings you fiddled with. Mine also has a format setting in which it pretty much does everything for you so it makes the picture fit the best, not sure if yours does that. Also on the DVDs you tested did you start them in wide screen mode? If you did that is why the bars are there, if that is the case try starting them in the normal screen mode.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 12-07-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I have the settings on my TV fixed for that. However, if you have a DVD that runs in widescreen, it will trump those settings. I also have separate settings in my PS3, but I haven't messed with those. Not sure if your DVD player itself may have some video settings.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll have to look at that and see.....not sure if the dvd player has settings for that. The dvd itself didn't. When I hook up new sound or video to the tv I put in "pearl harbor" and go to the attack scene....pretty bad ass stretch right through there I like to watch and have the surround rocked out.

blue
    1999 TransAm

i'd check to see what image settings can be changed on the dvd player and ditto for the tv... film is shot in a different aspect ratio (not exactly 16:9), and also w/ a different framerate (24p fps vs. the usual 60i/30p fps for broadcast tv)... generally lower end dvd players don't playback at 24p fps because most tvs were designed for broadcast tv formats, and were never designed for that framerate... however, i have noticed some newer tvs have a "film" mode (or some such name) that will accept the native 24p fps format from the dvds... if you could do that, as matching the native format would be optimal; you'd notice that the jitter you used to see (caused by the 24p to 30p framerate performed by the dvd player to make the image suitable for the tv) when the camera panned a large scene in the movie (from the dvd) would be smooth...

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I fuckin' hate the fact that all movies are widescreen anymore. you can't get anything in full screen.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

cuz wide screen is much better.

Full screen is (4:3)
    Standard Wide Screen is (16:9) this is probable your TV size
    Anamorphic Wide screen (1.85:1) is a touch bigger, and on a standard wide screen TV with have very slender black bars
    Cinema Wide screen (2.40:1) is really freakin wide...and unless you have a cinema TV, will have more black than picture

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Yeah, but the problem for me comes with the fact that you have a widescreen television and movies that are wide and squatty because of the stupid black bars.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

well that happens when the movie is wider screen than your TV, lol

red
    69 Firebird

There are there three main factors involved. These will all effect the picture.

1) DVD. Is it full-screen or wide-screen. IMHO, get a wide-screen DVD, and start from there!

2) The DVD player and TV will both likely have a few display options. Typically, they have some or all of the below:
    A) Auto
    B) force 4x3
    C) Force 16x9
    D) 720p
    E)1080i
    E) 1080p

F)Normal
    G) Stretch to fit.
    H) Zoom

If your TV does 1080, then choose "1080p" and "Normal". If your TV only does 720, then choose "720p" and "Normal".
    Note that both your TV and DVD have display settings. You have to make sure that both are in sync and are as I mentioned.

That is your baseline setting. Form there, you can play with zoom if you need to. Some "extras" on DVDs do a wide-screen display in the "4x3" box-width. You see a picture that uses only about 1/2 the screen. For that, you use zoom on the TV.

Also, make sure you make a note of what your TV settings are at now before you change them.

BTW, a picture of your movie displayed on the TV would help.

Good Luck!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    I fuckin' hate the fact that all movies are widescreen anymore. you can't get anything in full screen.
    Why would hate that they are widescreen? Looks amazing. If you don't have a full screen picture, you're doing something wrong.

Orion, I'd just check your DVD player settings first. Even if it's a 16:9 ratio you can still get a full screen picture.

Do the back of DVD boxes say the aspect ratio? They should. I don't own one disc to my name, so I can't look. But almost any DVD anymore should be 16:9 or wider.

Thread Information