Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Trip up the Dragons Tail

This morning didnt start so good...we didnt know these guys but it wasnt pretty. Had to help at the scene of the accident and we literally pulled a guy up the side of a mountain with a rope...the dude that was on the bike was about 60 yards into the woods on a 30-50 foot drop off. They tied him into sled, tied a rope to it and we had to pull him up. Closest hospital was like 70 miles away. The kid who was driving the camaro was pushing the car way too hard based on the tire marks he left. He went into a blind right hand turn carrying way too much speed and crossed the center line when he was exiting the corner and hit the bike. The guy who was driving the bike was breathing, but not much more than that when we got him to the top of the hill and in the ambulance.

The guy on the bike probably went a solid 50-60 feet through the air and landed 30-50 feet below the road on the side of a mountain.

This guy...

hit this guy...

I've got some video's coming, but I've got to upload them first.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Trip up the Dragons Tail

good job Pat helping others....
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

I hope the guy from the bike makes it.

Very similar thing happened near here last week.

Car crossed the center line and hit a bike. That rider was life-flighted out but didn't survive.

This is why I no longer have a bike. Too many distracted/idiot drivers on the road and you have no protection from them.

I had a ton of close calls and every single one of them was caused by someone in a car not seeing me.

And it's a shame too because riding is such a blast.

Riding a motorcycle in the Atlanta area is like playing a video game where everyone is out to kill you, except that it's real.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post

Car crossed the center line and hit a bike. That rider was life-flighted out but didn't survive.

This is why I no longer have a bike. Too many distracted/idiot drivers on the road and you have no protection from them.

I had a ton of close calls and every single one of them was caused by someone in a car not seeing me.

Riding a motorcycle in the Atlanta area is like playing a video game where everyone is out to kill you, except that it's real.
    He'll just driving period in Atlanta is a gamble.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time...

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time...
    interesting that you say that...we stopped right at the last minute to grab something to drink and the guy in the camaro went by us when we were walking in the door. We would have been pretty far in front of him if we wouldnt have stopped.

Here's one of the chase video's we did...sorry for the wind noise. Its too late to mess with the audio lol

I also got like 5 gallons of gas up there and it was supposed to be 93 octane but im positive it wasnt...my car started popping like crazy after I got gas there. guess its time for new plugs?
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 08-04-2014 at 04:24 AM.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black / White

Had a little bit of fun in this one...car started spittin smoke at the end of the day. Maybe it was from not going below 4500rpm for the majority of the afternoon lol

FYI...the only corners I cut were when I could see that nothing was coming towards us.

Last edited by theorangeguy; 08-04-2014 at 04:32 AM.

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

Melissa and I were in Chattanooga earlier this year. She had never been to Look Out Mt, Ruby Falls, ect. While we were there we stopped in a brew pub downtown, The Terminal. Got to talking with some folks who were going to ride the dragons tail. I have not been there since 1975. I am sure it has changed. But looks like the accidents are still happening.

So it looks like next year we are going there.

Great vid!

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Melissa and I were in Chattanooga earlier this year. She had never been to Look Out Mt, Ruby Falls, ect. While we were there we stopped in a brew pub downtown, The Terminal. Got to talking with some folks who were going to ride the dragons tail. I have not been there since 1975. I am sure it has changed. But looks like the accidents are still happening.

So it looks like next year we are going there.

Great vid!
    If you go through Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg when you come down I highly recommend the Smokey Mountain Brewery.

Only a few things have changed with the dragon since back then...they have repaved a large portion of it and they have some new hang out areas on the North Carolina side of the road. The original old lodge is still there, but they built a little BBQ place next to it and a small shop with shirts, stickers, etc.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post

I rode for awhile when I lived in LA. Talk about a live video game. I thought I had a target with a points value on me. After dropping it twice (1 time with a broken arm) and several near misses I gave it up as a lost cause.

One thing it did do is make me hyper aware of any bikes around me when I drive a car...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Looks like a fun drive but nothing like SR 89A between Prescott and Flagstaff in Arizona. The AZFBA used to run it once or twice a year...

Note: The release talks about a closure due to paving but it gives you some good views about what the run is like...

State Route 89A switchbacks to close for up to five weeks after Memorial Day

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

Thanks theorangeguy we will definitely check out The Smokey Mountain Brewery. We may go through Gatlinburg, last time we were there was our honeymoon in 1979.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Looks like a fun drive but nothing like SR 89A between Prescott and Flagstaff in Arizona. The AZFBA used to run it once or twice a year...

Note: The release talks about a closure due to paving but it gives you some good views about what the run is like...

State Route 89A switchbacks to close for up to five weeks after Memorial Day
    those look like longer sweeping turns that carry a lot more speed "which would be pretty spooky". We were lucky to get over 60mph on our trip...you can do it on a couple of straights but as soon as you hit the gas, you're back into the brakes and turning again. The banked switch backs are a lot of fun

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Thanks theorangeguy we will definitely check out The Smokey Mountain Brewery. We may go through Gatlinburg, last time we were there was our honeymoon in 1979.
    Gatlinburg on the other hand is a lot different than it was back then...I went as a kid in the 90's and its no where near like it is now. Its a huge tourist attraction now compared to what it used to be. They built an aquarium and all kinds of other stuff to draw in tourists.

Black / White

Got another video uploaded...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Yeah I may need to make a trip there one weekend....

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yeah I may need to make a trip there one weekend....
    We go pretty regularly because my wife's family is from the North Carolina side of the dragon. Let me know if you're ever in that area.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I've riden the Dragon many times with my ZX9r, 2nd gear and never under 7k rpm during 11 mile trip,

I've never had my Harley here or my Z28 here, the sportbike is a blast to ride here at Dragon and Cherohala Skyway, Fontanna NC, Blood Mountain GA
    Note to OP, we always buy octane boost crap to run while here in mountains cuz their 93 octane is weak

Me and a few friends from Ohio at Turners Corner Cafe at the end of Blood Mountain, I've heard that little restaurant no longer exists ?

These bike trips is what got me into photography as I was always bringing the point & shoot camera to document everybody's bike at the time.
    Here's nine of my buddies from Ohio & Michigan at the Look Out on the Dragon
    Last edited by LimeNine; 08-06-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by LimeNine View Post
    I've riden the Dragon many times with my ZX9r, 2nd gear and never under 7k rpm during 11 mile trip,
    Click for full size

I've never had my Harley here or my Z28 here, the sportbike is a blast to ride here at Dragon and Cherohala Skyway, Fontanna NC, Blood Mountain GA
    Note to OP, we always buy octane boost crap to run while here in mountains cuz their 93 octane is weak
    Click for full size

Me and a few friends from Ohio at Turners Corner Cafe at the end of Blood Mountain, I've heard that little restaurant no longer exists ?
    Click for full size

These bike trips is what got me into photography as I was always bringing the point & shoot camera to document everybody's bike at the time.
    Here's nine of my buddies from Ohio & Michigan at the Look Out on the Dragon
    Click for full size
    hahaha I know all about 2nd gear...i think I went into 3rd 3 times the whole time I was up there...most of the day was spent over 4,000rpms in 2nd gear

Since you mentioned Fontana Im guessing you have seen Fontana Dam? That dam is what forced my wife's family out of that area in World War 2. They built the dam and flooded the town they lived in further up the river.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

So, I finally Googled The Dragon's Tail just to see what it was all about. DAYUM! Lots 'o twisties on that route...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information