Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

trip to autozone

i walk in to autozone and this is how it went:

Me: i need valvecover gaskets for a 96 Trans Am

kid behind counter: <confused look> that is a ford, right??

Me: <bertstare>

Me: no, it is a pontiac

kid behind counter: oh, ok <clicks pontiac on computer> <searches for Trans AM and can't find... passes firebird 2 times, backs out, reselects pontiac>

me: pick firebird

kid behind counter: <confused look> v6?

me: <bertstare> 8

so what if he was only 10 when GM dropped the firebird line, it is only one of the most recognizable american cars ever to be built.... WTF?!?!?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Those people don't know shit about cars. They always look up make then model on a computer and you screwed the pooch when you said Trans Am instead of Firebird.

Ray Charles blue

I said Z28 and the guy says "Does that have the V8?" I say yes and he says "5.7?" Again I say yes.

I wonder what the V6 and other V8 engine options were in 2000 for a Z28.

Freaking dolts. Krese, that kid is just normal these days.

Had a kid at a local garage tell me his 225 GT Mustang would keep with my Z28.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

I find it amusing that people on car forums assume everyone working in an auto part store should know exactly the make and model of some version of a certain car.

I have never had a problem getting parts from autozone for one reason. I walk in there and say exactly what I have: 1999 Pontiac Firebird/Transam v8, or 2006 Honda Accord 4 cylinder. it's not that difficult people. I think 95% of the autozone stories would disappear if people following this one simple rule.

If I worked at a part store and some import guy came in there telling me some obscure import version of a skyline, civic, or some other bullshit, I would probably give him a blank stare.
    Last edited by Aetos; 05-26-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The local GM garage just ordered me a V6 oil pan gasket for my Trans Am. Now I have to change out the engine to make it fit.

There are good and bad parts people. I think that a lot of the problem is the damn computer system. Even when you know what you are looking for it is sometimes difficult, if not impossible, to make the computer bring it up. Same for the internet. I have searched for many parts on Autozone's and Advance's websites and they are even worse than the system the store clerks utilize. Even worse is Napa -- try finding a rebuild kit for a certain model number Quadrajet at Napaonline.com. It is damn near impossible.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The local GM garage just ordered me a V6 oil pan gasket for my Trans Am. Now I have to change out the engine to make it fit.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Apparently he likes V6 Fords....

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post

There are good and bad parts people. I think that a lot of the problem is the damn computer system. Even when you know what you are looking for it is sometimes difficult, if not impossible, to make the computer bring it up. Same for the internet. I have searched for many parts on Autozone's and Advance's websites and they are even worse than the system the store clerks utilize. Even worse is Napa -- try finding a rebuild kit for a certain model number Quadrajet at Napaonline.com. It is damn near impossible.
    I'll give you a hand changing out the engine, Jeff!
    Agree though. It's hard when you have something that isn't stock either. When I had my '23 Ford t-bucket, it had a Chevy 327 in it, and many other mixed componants. I'd go into some parts stores and ask for a part, usually with the old one in hand, and the first thing the clerck would ask, "What kind of car is it off of?" Needless to say, the computer didn't have much listed for a '23 Ford. Other clerks would actually look at the part, or ask me exactly what I was looking for. Seems like it's getting rarer to find someone who works at a parts store, that knows anything about cars. I'm glad Summit is close to me........

White
    '10 ZR1

Haha - I have a ZZ502 in my '68, and any time I need something from NAPA.....I tell them I have a 1974 1/2 Chevy pickup with a 454. I get the correct parts, every time

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Haha - I have a ZZ502 in my '68, and any time I need something from NAPA.....I tell them I have a 1974 1/2 Chevy pickup with a 454. I get the correct parts, every time
    I have to do the same thing with my boat.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I have an autozone app on my phone. So i can look up my own part numbers and if the store has them in stock. Then i just go in and give them the part number and walk out.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

haha for one that kid shouldn't of gotten hired! there are some people that walk in and say i need brakes for that car and point?(REALLY)

Black
    2001 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
    I find it amusing that people on car forums assume everyone working in an auto part store should know exactly the make and model of some version of a certain car.

I have never had a problem getting parts from autozone for one reason. I walk in there and say exactly what I have: 1999 Pontiac Firebird/Transam v8, or 2006 Honda Accord 4 cylinder. it's not that difficult people. I think 95% of the autozone stories would disappear if people following this one simple rule.

If I worked at a part store and some import guy came in there telling me some obscure import version of a skyline, civic, or some other bullshit, I would probably give him a blank stare.
    I agree. I wouldnt known half the import stuff. So i would give them a break if you tell them a car they my not know to much about.

I went to a chevy dealership for a part. I told him I needed a part for my firebird. He gave me a retarted look. I told him fine look it up for a camaro of the same year. Its the same part.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post

I agree....but only to an extent. I tell them it is a Chevy, 2000, Camaro, Z28. That is ENOUGH information. If they say "Is that a V8?" or "Does it have the 5.7 in it?" they should be fired or the computer system lists a V6 for a the 2000 Camaro. I am sure the computer doesnt say V6 so thus they should be fired. It says its a freaking V8 in the system! I have seen the screen. Just like when I was looking for plugs for my Corvette and they asked me if it had a V8 in it.

I tell them I need a bolts that hold the brake caliper bracket to the rear end and they try to tell me (actually 2 places did) that it is 2 pieces. I figured out they are think I need the bolt that holds the caliper to the bracket. Or they give me the front bushing for my rear leaf springs for my other camaro when I told them I need the the TWO bushings per leaf that go in the rear. Then they order just two bushings because they are two (yeah that is a pun) stupid to comprehend that if there are two springs with two bushings per that I need 4. Same guy that did that asked me if my Corvette had the V8 when I went to get a new rear main for it.

Yeah, they need more information from me. Or, perhaps they need to be able to comprehend what people say. They could fuck up a wet dream.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I only deal with two people at my local parts store...they work opposite shifts, so one is always there.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Let's all give parts store people as little information about the vehicle we need parts for so we can call them retards!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Back when I was coming up (yeah it was 40 years ago but who's counting) the parts man at the local store knew exactly what you needed cuz he was a gearhead too!

FWIW, I've experienced the "unexperienced" parts guy at the local Vatozone...

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Back when I was coming up (yeah it was 40 years ago but who's counting) the parts man at the local store knew exactly what you needed cuz he was a gearhead too!

Back then there wasn't as many parts to choose from either and even less foreign cars

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I agree....but only to an extent. I tell them it is a Chevy, 2000, Camaro, Z28. That is ENOUGH information. If they say "Is that a V8?" or "Does it have the 5.7 in it?" they should be fired or the computer system lists a V6 for a the 2000 Camaro. I am sure the computer doesnt say V6 so thus they should be fired. It says its a freaking V8 in the system! I have seen the screen.
    I don't remember seeing the autozone computer ask if a car is a z28, ss, etc. At least it doesn't for the firebirds. They put in the year, the make, the model(camaro or firebird), then it either gives them a 5.7l v8 or 3.8 v6 option.

Like I said before, if you had an import and you came up to me and said z28(for purposes of the arguments, lets pretend z28 is an import ), I would have no clue what motor your car had in it. There are way too many cars with way too many different variations for us to expect auto part employees to know them all, especially when they're paid minimum wage.

Of course the other stories you got into are a bit retarded on their part, but when most people bitch about these stores it's because the employee doesn't know exactly what a "chevy z28" or a "pontiac ws6" is.

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Let's all give parts store people as little information about the vehicle we need parts for so we can call them retards!
    I have a car with 4 tires and I believe it has a spare in the trunk. Can I have a timing chain for it?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post

i dont know how i would afford anything if i worked at the local parts store nowadays let a lone a gearhead hobby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information