98 Formula
    06 duramax

thought my old dog was gone......

My oldest dog is 13 and I've had him since he was a little pup. Me and him have been through a lot together. He got his ass ate up 2 years ago by a couple of pit bulls and I thought that was it for him but a bunch of vet bills, some ice cream, and a few steaks later and he made it through it losing 1 ear and having a limp. We've been through so much together over the years that he's definitely like family to me. The fact of the matter is he's old as hell and just won't live forever and I'm dreading the day that something has to be done about it. It would be very hard for me to have him put to sleep so I'm hoping he goes out quietly in the night.
    This week I thought I was going to have to take him for that sleepy shot although I probably would've had my wife take him and I would've went and picked him up to bury him in a spot I have planned for him.
    We came home the other night and there was liquid ass explosion dog shit all over the living room. My younger dog which has no seniority here and was looking guilty got the blame for it. My wife cleaned it up and we went about our business. An hour or two later I walk into the living room and there's my old dog having another ass explosion in the living room. He's only used the bathroom in the house maybe twice in 13 years so I knew something wasn't right with him. My wife cleaned it up and we locked him in the bathroom far far away from any carpet where he exploded again during the night. I rented a steam cleaner and moved him to the garage where he's been the last couple of days. He didn't eat anything and drank very little for a couple of days and my wife said she thought there was blood in the ass pudding he was slinging everywhere. I figured that's it..... he's on his way out and talked to the wife about making arrangements for him if he didn't start eating and drinking something.
    Today my wife let him out while I was gone and a little later went to let him back in and he didn't come and wasn't anywhere in sight so she went looking for him. She found him........out in the woods eating a dead deer. The SOB just had a messed up stomach from eating a rotten deer. Just goes to show you what a pain in the ass old bastards can be. I officially renamed him Sarge today.
    Last edited by 0rion; 12-28-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I almost thought I was gonna start crying!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

he's a pain in the ass..... He's old, grumpy, and set in his ways but he's like a child to me. He's been camping with me every year for 13 years. He only went once with me this year because his hips are so bad and he gets sore and can't move when we get home....plus I have to pick him up to put him in and out of the truck and he growls the whole time. The day is coming to where it won't be something we can fix and I dread it but looks like he's gonna be around a little bit longer unless I catch him eating that deer again.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Awesome story. Always a sad day when you have to let go of a pet that youve had for years and have become attached to. Its pretty close to loosing a person.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah, it's tough when they get old and start having problems. Right now my dogs are 6, 8 and 9 months. So, I've got a while hopefully with them. But, in the last 5 years, I've had to put down 2 and it's really hard.

They really are such a huge part of my life. Especially since my son is grown and has been out of the house for years. They're kind of my babies

Don't be too hard on old 'Sarge' You all get grumpy and growl when you get old

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

I had to put my malamute down this year due to bad hips and fused discs in her spine. By far one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. For a while I was even carrying her down the steps to set her in the grass to potty because she couldnt make it on her own. One of my neighbors said she cried everytime she saw me do it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticZ06 View Post
    I had to put my malamute down this year due to bad hips and fused discs in her spine. By far one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. For a while I was even carrying her down the steps to set her in the grass to potty because she couldnt make it on her own. One of my neighbors said she cried everytime she saw me do it.

Click for full size

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I can relate to that, I ate some bad deer jerky before and had the same thing. Stains are still in the carpet...

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

^^^

2000 Trans Am

You go on and on about how much you love him and how much he means to you but why would you just throw him in the bathroom and shut the door on the old bugger?!? I tell you what if that was my dog with exploding diarrea, I would have taken him to the Vet immediately!! Especially if it had blood in it.......I just love my dogs more I guess!

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

glad your dog is ok, I about lost my 10 year old shepherd after an accident a year ago

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    You go on and on about how much you love him and how much he means to you but why would you just throw him in the bathroom and shut the door on the old bugger?!? I tell you what if that was my dog with exploding diarrea, I would have taken him to the Vet immediately!! Especially if it had blood in it.......I just love my dogs more I guess!
    Hmm, I kind of thought the same thing. But, my dogs are extra spoiled and have me wrapped around their little paws They own me

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Hmm, I kind of thought the same thing. But, my dogs are extra spoiled and have me wrapped around their little paws They own me

My wife and I are the same way!!! God for bid they sleep on the floor, it's either the couch or bed for them.......They got us
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

My wife and I are the same way!!! God for bid they sleep on the floor, it's either the couch or bed for them.......They got us
    LOL... same here But, do have dog beds throughout the house in every room with blankets of course

I even have stairs for them to get up on the couch and bed

But, the Doxies are prone to hip problems and it's more of a preventative maintenance type of thing in the long run.

But, yes... definitely

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Good luck finding a vet x-mas night at 11pm. I would never take my dogs to the vet at the first sign of diarrea unless they stopped taking in fluids for a day or so.......I just have more common sense I guess!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Good luck finding a vet x-mas night at 11pm. I would never take my dogs to the vet at the first sign of diarrea unless they stopped taking in fluids for a day or so.......I just have more common sense I guess!
    I actually agree there. Dogs can have diarrhea or throw up for a ton of different reasons. Most of the time medical assistance is not needed.

But, good to know where your local 24 hour emergency Vet is located just in case

Thread Information