Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Question Tell me about 96-98 yukon gt two doors.

Ill be needing some type of truck/suv for the winter, I really like the style of these can they tow cars good to the track, how are they in the snow and ice and what about the gas mileage? How much should I be paying for one?

Black
    99 Z-28

I have had two 2 dr tahoes. A 94 and a 99. They are still kind of expensive. Proably around 7-8K. Even with a ton of miles. Gas mileage sucks, just like a truck. My 94 had a 4'' lift, that worked fine and felt very stable. My 99 has a 6'' and feels very unstable, a lot of body roll. Good trucks though.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by walterchang View Post
    I have had two 2 dr tahoes. A 94 and a 99. They are still kind of expensive. Proably around 7-8K. Even with a ton of miles. Gas mileage sucks, just like a truck. My 94 had a 4'' lift, that worked fine and felt very stable. My 99 has a 6'' and feels very unstable, a lot of body roll. Good trucks though.
    thanks man

96-98 Yukons had the same engine as the pickups of those years. I owned a 96 ext cab Z71 and traded it for another new one in '98. Still got it, 165K miles and seems to still be a pretty good truck.

white
    2001 camaross

Attachment 7288
    That was my 94 had to get rid of it last winter but wish i still had it, did awesome in the snow, decent in pulling a car trailor, and i got aorund 15-16 mpg on the high way and i had 285 A/T tires on it

yeah.........make sure you get a 96 or newer.....Vortec.........gas mileage same as truck and drives a little bit heavier but not too much different, the trucks handle a little better and are quicker due to less weight up top but they are only two passenger as well.....so if it is what you want go for it. I would say you could get one from 6-9k depending on condition and mileage. If you have one you are looking at get a kelley blue book on it.............

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

thanks guys for your comments

white
    99 Trans am

96+ 2dr tahoe/ yukon will get anywhere from 17-19 mpg hwy (depends on gearing and tire size) and around 12 in city driving. Any lift will kill mpg and hurt tow ability. This is a rather short wheellbase vehicle so when you tow you will know when the trailer has any sway. As long as you have the car on a open 16-18' car hauler you should be o.k. An enclosed trailer would likley be too heavy.

DisCrete
    They are secksi, and tend to be just as expensive as a full size burban or equivalent... They are from what I hear.. in high demand.. but I do not believe they are being manufacutred by GM anymore.. so if you find one... in excelent condition for the right price... buy it.... someone else will if you don't.

DisCrete
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo99ta View Post
    96+ 2dr tahoe/ yukon will get anywhere from 17-19 mpg hwy (depends on gearing and tire size) and around 12 in city driving. Any lift will kill mpg and hurt tow ability. This is a rather short wheellbase vehicle so when you tow you will know when the trailer has any sway. As long as you have the car on a open 16-18' car hauler you should be o.k. An enclosed trailer would likley be too heavy.
    This isn't entirely true either... it's mainly engine specs here... a 2 door yukon can tow just as much as a full size burban with the right engine/towing package.

My 2000 Z71 silvie... can tow a 14 foot enclosed 3 place snowmobile trailer with 3 snowmobiles... with ease. Course you can kiss the gas goodbye lol... Meh.

even towing a car trailer, enclosed or otherwise.. won't be a problem... my 2000 silvie had 7500 max towing... I had a 4000lbs hitch installed on it... I suspect towing an enclosed car trailer won't be a problem... figure what 5000lbs?

and FYI, my friend got stuck in his Dodge Ram with a trailer carrying 5000lbs of shingles... and I tow'd him and the trailer out of a ditch at the same time.

Almost 11,000lbs with my Silvie

just a measley 5.3L V8 327.... 325hp, and unsure about the torque but I think it was about 400+

Quote Originally Posted by DisCrete View Post
    This isn't entirely true either... it's mainly engine specs here... a 2 door yukon can tow just as much as a full size burban with the right engine/towing package.

My 2000 Z71 silvie... can tow a 14 foot enclosed 3 place snowmobile trailer with 3 snowmobiles... with ease. Course you can kiss the gas goodbye lol... Meh.

even towing a car trailer, enclosed or otherwise.. won't be a problem... my 2000 silvie had 7500 max towing... I had a 4000lbs hitch installed on it... I suspect towing an enclosed car trailer won't be a problem... figure what 5000lbs?

and FYI, my friend got stuck in his Dodge Ram with a trailer carrying 5000lbs of shingles... and I tow'd him and the trailer out of a ditch at the same time.

Almost 11,000lbs with my Silvie

just a measley 5.3L V8 327.... 325hp, and unsure about the torque but I think it was about 400+
    You must have done some mods to it to get those specs.........and he didnt say pulling it would be impossible, just that it would sway easier due to the short wheelbase of the two door, plus they have the old frame and not the hydroformed one, not to mention the weaker motors.......You did not pull your friend at highway speeds, just out of a ditch. He just was recommending what it would be practical for and I agree with him. I got about 15-16 MPG with my four door tahoe, so the MPG estimates should be a little bit better on the highway anyway. Also, GM does not make the two door full size SUV since the Tahoe body change of 2000 FYI..........

DisCrete
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire View Post
    You must have done some mods to it to get those specs.........and he didnt say pulling it would be impossible, just that it would sway easier due to the short wheelbase of the two door, plus they have the old frame and not the hydroformed one, not to mention the weaker motors.......You did not pull your friend at highway speeds, just out of a ditch. He just was recommending what it would be practical for and I agree with him. I got about 15-16 MPG with my four door tahoe, so the MPG estimates should be a little bit better on the highway anyway. Also, GM does not make the two door full size SUV since the Tahoe body change of 2000 FYI..........
    Nah, it's the stock 5.3L 327, no mods what so ever.. 325hp @ 4000rpm, I don't remember the stock torque at w/e rpm but I think it was over 400.

2000 Chevrolet Z71 1500HD added, Hardtop tano cover (hydrolic), Deer Killer (Chrome)ext cab 6foot bed, put bigger tires on it.. but not much bigger those firestones look to much like a retard humping a doorknob. Stock 5.3L V8 327 this engine was a the mid class... they had a lighter one, and a bigger one.. but the 327 had the best milage... ~ 15 city and 17-19 highway... but towing milage was terrible... specially in reg 4WD in snow.. gas went down to about 12 mpg highway.

I was worried the engine wasn't going to be strong for the weight of the truck.. but... it had some suprising testicular fortitude... and I was more than pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCrete View Post
    Nah, it's the stock 5.3L 327, no mods what so ever.. 325hp @ 4000rpm, I don't remember the stock torque at w/e rpm but I think it was over 400.

2000 Chevrolet Z71 1500HD added, Hardtop tano cover (hydrolic), Deer Killer (Chrome)ext cab 6foot bed, put bigger tires on it.. but not much bigger those firestones look to much like a retard humping a doorknob. Stock 5.3L V8 327 this engine was a the mid class... they had a lighter one, and a bigger one.. but the 327 had the best milage... ~ 15 city and 17-19 highway... but towing milage was terrible... specially in reg 4WD in snow.. gas went down to about 12 mpg highway.

I was worried the engine wasn't going to be strong for the weight of the truck.. but... it had some suprising testicular fortitude... and I was more than pleased.
    stock hp for this truck is 285 and the torque is 325-335..........and as far as pulling goes you have a much longer wheelbase than the vehicle in discussion, with the six foot bed and the ext. cab. FWIW.........

DisCrete
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire View Post
    stock hp for this truck is 285 and the torque is 325-335..........and as far as pulling goes you have a much longer wheelbase than the vehicle in discussion, with the six foot bed and the ext. cab. FWIW.........
    ahh ok, got it reversed then lol

in some non related way

white
    99 Trans am

i'm not saying the 5.7 can't pull the load, but that is not the only part of towing safe. If you check on some RV towing forums they can give you the math behind it and show you the charts for what is recomended when judging wheelbase relative to trailer length. I experienced it 1st hand since i have a 2dr blazer and a crew cab pick up. I have towed my 99TA cross country with both trucks. the blazer will sway very easy, pick up doesn't even know the trailer is there. Oh and whoever figured an enclosed trailer + car is 5k... my open flat bed car hauler with the TA on it is 5k (weighed it on the scale). Most enclosed trailers (large enough for a car) will come in at at least 3k empty + 3500# car = 6.5k being towed. once again will the 2dr pull that yeah, but for more than ocassional short trips you won't be happy with it towing over 5k. Now if you will only use this as a winter truck and be towing the car to the local strip or car show it would be fine for that. I love the 2dr tahoe, but i also know their limits, that's why i bought a 2500hd crew cab as my tow truck. I keep the blazer for fun in the dirt and occasional light towing.

Thread Information