98 Formula
    06 duramax

teaching myself how to weld...

and I really really really suck. I figure I'll end up either electrocuting myself to death or burning down the shop before it's over. It's a small stick welder a guy give me last year that I'm trying to learn on. I can actually get an arc going, I just can't control the bead. The piece I welded tonight looks like a blind person having a seizure done the welding.

White
    2002 VY SS

I taught myself how to weld. You probably heard it all before: keep surfaces clean; push the heat into the thicker piece of metal and let it bleed across to the thinner piece (if different sizes); only use dry rods, if they are old it pays to chuck em and get some new ones, I use 2.5's for general mild welding; practice makes perfect, use scrap steel and weld away; concentrate on the puddle behind the arc to ensure a neat weld; if it ends up looking like birdshit, grind it back with a shallow groove on the line you wish to weld then try again; ensure a good earth; try and use an auto blackout helmet; go for an adjustable amp welder... etc

It comes down to practice and feel. Don't give up on it.
    Last edited by Firebug; 09-17-2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: badd sthpelling

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    and I really really really suck. I figure I'll end up either electrocuting myself to death or burning down the shop before it's over. It's a small stick welder a guy give me last year that I'm trying to learn on. I can actually get an arc going, I just can't control the bead. The piece I welded tonight looks like a blind person having a seizure done the welding.
    lol, i guess i wont ask you to weld my subframes just yet

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 96z28 View Post
    lol, i guess i wont ask you to weld my subframes just yet
    That would be an easy call. Welding is something I really want to learn because I would get a ton of use out of it.
    I have a few problems. Basically, I don't know shit about welding so a book is probably gonna be my first purchase. Secondly, the welder I have is an el-cheapo so that's not making it easy. Right now it's not easy for me to get the arc going. I stick the rod to the piece and all that fun stuff. Once I do get the arc going my speed sucks. I either go to fast or it puddles on me. I know it's all about the practice and I'll just keep plugging at it. I'll get it eventually. After I get to where I can weld with this one I'm going to buy a good welder.

White
    2002 VY SS

Is your current welder adjustable amp? What sort of mask/helmet do you use?

2010 Camaro rs/ss

go to welding store and ask for "idiot stick" That is the easiest way to start learning.

Then move on from there.

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

It's a start.

You gotta start somewhere. My Grandfather schooled me on stick when I was eleven. Stick is good for heavy duty tac welds and thick steele welds but for smaller scale and various alloys, inert gas welding mig + tig are the ones.

Have fun.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

That would be an easy call. Welding is something I really want to learn because I would get a ton of use out of it.
    I have a few problems. Basically, I don't know shit about welding so a book is probably gonna be my first purchase. Secondly, the welder I have is an el-cheapo so that's not making it easy. Right now it's not easy for me to get the arc going. I stick the rod to the piece and all that fun stuff. Once I do get the arc going my speed sucks. I either go to fast or it puddles on me. I know it's all about the practice and I'll just keep plugging at it. I'll get it eventually. After I get to where I can weld with this one I'm going to buy a good welder.
    Go to your library and read up on it. Maybe find a class on it local. Bro you just don't pick up a welder, and learn it by yourslef. You need to learn on amps, currents, and how to use that for what types of steels . If you have an arc. I suggest you get some 1/8 steel plates, and turn your current up to 3/4 full. Hold your clamp, and stick at a 45 deg angle, and try layin some beads. By the way you goones it's called an Arc welding not stick. You guys got me saying it..

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

arc/stick same thing, if you get good enough you can weld thinner metals, I've welded up exhausts before with an ARC, either way follow these guys' advice, but something that also worked for me, start out with 6011 or 6013 rod(it's really hard to screw those up) get an auto dim mask or a mask that's a little lighter(so you can see the bead) and try oscillating the rod while running the bead.
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

Thread Information