Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Started looking for a new DD

Long story short...

I was "winterizing" my current DD (MazdaSpeed3) in the street cause I don't have a usable driveway at them moment, and that involved changing out my Air Filter. It's a K&N reusable, so I took it off to take it inside to clean it in the sink. When I did that the one of the dump trucks that go up and down my street constantly (building new houses up the hill from me) must have kicked up some pebbles as it passed my car, cause when I put the filter back on and started the car there was a ridiculously loud bang and then the sound of something being disintegrated in the engine. I immediately shut off the engine and started to investigate. Turns out that a pebble was sucked into my turbo, broke off a blade and then the blade and pebble dust were sucked through my engine (I can hear the pieces rattling in my exhaust). I am so god damn lucky everything went straight through and didn't decide to hang out in the combustion chambers. The car is still drivable, though I don't know for how long. I havn't noticed anything wrong with the car...turbo isn't offbalance that much and the engine sounds fine.

So anyway...now I'm looking for a new DD...I was thinking about either a '92-'93 Typhoon or a Syclone. Anyone have any input into these? Are they reliable after they get close to 100k miles? Can you beat the shit out of the drivetrain and expect to drive it normally later? Same with the engine...can it take some abuse?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

your looking at some $ for one and more if you brake it. just drive the mazda tilll it pops. if you want a cheap dd that can be fun look at a turbo dodge. i got the car biger moter and beter trans for less then $500

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    your looking at some $ for one and more if you brake it. just drive the mazda tilll it pops. if you want a cheap dd that can be fun look at a turbo dodge. i got the car biger moter and beter trans for less then $500
    I'm not too worried about the cost right now...I want something I can drive everyday, fit 4-5 people in, MAYBE haul some shit around, but still have the balls to destroy ricers and Mustang GTs.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Look for a '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LTD. AWD, 245HP/345TQ. Responds well to mods, and can be had for under 6 grand. Never worry about snow again.

Or, If you want newer, pick up a low mileage pre-05 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 V8, and slap on a Kenne Bell supercharger. Give your LS1 car a run for it's money, and never worry about snow again.

Then there's always a WRX, or a 4 door Cobalt SS.

But why do you want a DD that fast anyway? If you buy a fairly new car that's almost as fast as your T/A, yet most likely rides much better and is more comfortable, then what's your motivation to drive the T/A?

Like if I got a G8 (which fits your description),chances are, I'd get out of that and into the rough riding, rattly Bird, and think "man, this car sucks".

Just get a cheap used car that's roomy enough, and decent on gas. A Grand Prix or Bonneville will probably do you fine, and those aren't expensive. And if you get a supercharged version, they DO move pretty well.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

duramax!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

those jeeps are really bad on gas though, and they're not exactly fast either if that matters, buy a 4 cyl volvo
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Look for a '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LTD. AWD, 245HP/345TQ. Responds well to mods, and can be had for under 6 grand. Never worry about snow again.

Or, If you want newer, pick up a low mileage pre-05 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 V8, and slap on a Kenne Bell supercharger. Give your LS1 car a run for it's money, and never worry about snow again.

Then there's always a WRX, or a 4 door Cobalt SS.

But why do you want a DD that fast anyway? If you buy a fairly new car that's almost as fast as your T/A, yet most likely rides much better and is more comfortable, then what's your motivation to drive the T/A?

Like if I got a G8 (which fits your description),chances are, I'd get out of that and into the rough riding, rattly Bird, and think "man, this car sucks".

Just get a cheap used car that's roomy enough, and decent on gas. A Grand Prix or Bonneville will probably do you fine, and those aren't expensive. And if you get a supercharged version, they DO move pretty well.
    lol...you've got a good point of why have a fast DD if I have the bird...2 things: 1. the bird is getting a H/C/I swap as we speak and will be the fastest car I have ever driven and 2. I hate being out in my Mazda and getting my ass handed to me by cocky Mustangs that wouldn't even think about messing with the Trans Am

Red
    1999 Trans Am

haha. Try getting a Syclone man. A buddy of mine has one and it's freakin sweet. They run like a mofo..

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Damon33 View Post
    haha. Try getting a Syclone man. A buddy of mine has one and it's freakin sweet. They run like a mofo..
    I couldn't decide on which one (Typhoon or Syclone) I wanted...my deciding factor was that I like the name "Typhoon" more

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

I'd love a Syclone. Damn things can run hand in hand with a stock LS1. Can't see them being extremely easy to find considering they were only around 1 year IIRC.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    lol...you've got a good point of why have a fast DD if I have the bird...2 things: 1. the bird is getting a H/C/I swap as we speak and will be the fastest car I have ever driven and 2. I hate being out in my Mazda and getting my ass handed to me by cocky Mustangs that wouldn't even think about messing with the Trans Am
    Well, why are you racing mustangs when you're not in the T/A?

There's no law that says you have to race every stang or ricer you come across. Get a DD that isn't likely to attract attention, and you won't get challenged.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    cocky lol pot meet kettle

Thread Information