Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Envy

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Southern Envy

About a week ago, my best friend from high school showed up unannounced on my doorstep. He had just moved back to northern Pennsylvania after living in Florida for the last 10 years. After catching up for a while, he mentioned that his truck had been hit by a guy on a motorcycle and that it bent his rear axle. Naturally, I offered him the use of my garage to swap it out. Well, this afternoon we brought in his 100,000 mile plus Dodge Dakota and threw it up on the lift to replace the axle.

I was simply awestruck by what I saw. Other than the bare steel driveshaft and some minor speckling on the exhaust, not an ounce of rust on the entire underside or frame of his truck. The damn thing looked brand new! Even the stencil on the rear leaf springs was factory fresh. Now, being a car guy, I have heard that southern and western sheet metal stays nice and such, but never imagined your cars actually stayed this nice.

Having been raised in the rustbelt I have never wrenched on anything this clean before. The only way I can describe it was that it was like working in a church. I worked very carefully and tried my best not to dirty it up with my grubby garage gloves. As we were finishing the job up, I told him to take one more look at the underside of his truck... I know that by springtime, it is going to look a whole lot different!

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I agree Jeff. Went to Fl on vacation a few years back in 07 or so. Saw Ford Ranger (specifically) between the years of 93-97 with the original frame paint, still shiny black.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Well it really depends Jeff. no matter where you are if your near the beach your going to get nailed by the rust beast. I read somewhere the absolute best place to get a used car or project car is arizona due to the low humidity,and lack of oxidizing agents.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

paint/glass could be shot due to sand though.

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

Don't forget that the women are sexier and it's warm all year so they leave the girls out just about all year. I love being from the south.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by loasdrums View Post
    don't forget that the women are sexier and it's warm all year so they leave the girls out just about all year. I love being from the south.
    this!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As tempting as rust free sheet metal and year-round eye candy are... the heat and/or humidity would probably kill me.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

^^while this is true, the northern winters are equally as bad. I would like to have a place in both areas to pick and choose the weather i want.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I guess this is probably the one and only area for me to give props to the state of CA. We have it all. Dry desert, humid coastal areas, snowy mountains. Take your pick. All within a few hours drive.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

But that would require living in California.. All of you foreigners (especially Californians by license plate count) are moving to Texas

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    But that would require living in California.. All of you foreigners (especially Californians by license plate count) are moving to Texas

And all the Texans are moving up to Pennsylvania thanks to something called "Marcellus Shale".

Impounded
    gmcheviac

My grandpa went up for a few jobs. Wouldn't compare it to the mass migration out of Cali

Tan 79 and Red 01
    79 Z28 & 01 SS SLP

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I guess this is probably the one and only area for me to give props to the state of CA. We have it all. Dry desert, humid coastal areas, snowy mountains. Take your pick. All within a few hours drive.
    We can say the same thing here in Texas KR except for the few hours drive part...... and we don't pay state income taxes!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I said it was the ONE AND ONLY AREA I could give CA props!

As soon as it's financially feasible, I'm outta here

TX is one of the states we're considering. My Uncle, recently retired Air Force, made it his final landing spot. Loves it out there.

yea we dont have a problem with rust BUT we have a problem with paint lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Jeff If I lived up north I would look at using Lizard Skin on the under side for some protection. It is used primary for a bedliner in trucks but they have started using it to protect the under side, sound and heat deader. Its a really good product.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Jeff If I lived up north I would look at using Lizard Skin on the under side for some protection. It is used primary for a bedliner in trucks but they have started using it to protect the under side, sound and heat deader. Its a really good product.

Never heard of it. I did re-do all of the frame coating on our '07 Suburban. The crap from the factory was literally falling off in sheets. I'll check it out next time I go shop for automotive supplies. If I do have rusty stuff to contend with it always gets the POR-15 treatment.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

sucks that late models are worse than my Cali/recently Texas c10. And it's 39 model years old

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

I used stuff called hammerite on the frame,underside,wheel wells,and inside of the bed on the 73 chevy truck I had. Between me putting it through hell and my best friend putting it through work and hell it is still holding up nice. at least it was when I looked at and drove the beast last christmas time.

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

Anyone who thinks that the California coast is humid has not been in a swamp in the south.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information