Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    99 SS

someone younger then you your boss>?

got a question, how do you guys feel about someone being a lot younger then you as your boss? or does anyone have experience with this? just trying to get a feel for it. let me know how u feel. Thanks

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Someone one up you at McDonalds??

Black
    99 SS

lol, no im the boss over some people at work who are in there 40's and 50's

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    lol, no im the boss over some people at work who are in there 40's and 50's
    Awesome. How did you get that gig?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I bet they are either, really cool older dudes who can respect you IF you know whats going on and deserve to be the boss... or, they fuck with you all day and try to make your life miserable.

Thats how it is at my work. All the older guys give the boss' (younger usually) major shit/hard times. Just cause. But our boss's really are complete dumbass's. I could give some really good reasons to that.

White
    02 WS6

I've been dealing with this for years. I've managed to get myself promoted way faster than most people. I just turned 30 on superbowl sunday, but I had people working for me in the 40-50's when I was 22-23 years old. Some people will constantly give you a hard time no matter what (I don't really care about them....I'm military, so if they start that shit, I just hand them a crayon and tell them to go color an STFU.) However, if you carry yourself well and in a professional manner, usually most people will over-look the age thing.

dale

White
    2002 VY SS

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    Someone one up you at McDonalds??

Boner, a few years ago it was me that was the younger boss. In a couple of cases the men had been working for the company for as long as I had been on the planet. It was very difficult for me to get stuff done, and I had to be extremely diplomatic. Moving from one of the guys to the boss is a difficult transition because lots of people have the mentality "You are the boss, so I no longer like you".

Having said that, if he goes on a power trip because he is immature, kick his ass till his nose bleeds...

Edit: So you are the younger boss... If you go on a power trip, they are correct to kick you ass...

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I bet they are either, really cool older dudes who can respect you IF you know whats going on and deserve to be the boss... or, they fuck with you all day and try to make your life miserable.

Thats how it is at my work. All the older guys give the boss' (younger usually) major shit/hard times. Just cause. But our boss's really are complete dumbass's. I could give some really good reasons to that.

well I have been at my job for 2 years, I started out as a simple laborer. then when they had a job open up to be an inspector(housing) I went to a 3 week training class where i had to stay in a hotel and do all these tests and shit to pass it.. class was 8-5 every day 5 days a week.

the one guy has been there 15 years and not moved up, the other guys have been there for 2 months max. But there all really cool guys never get any shit from them at all.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    Awesome. How did you get that gig?

fell into it and a lot of school (not college) HVAC school and housing inspector school, and mold training, and led based paint training. and tons of code book enforcement classes.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

They dont tech you how to spell "lead" in dem schools!

I'm the VP of our company and I'm only 27, so a lot of the people at work are older then me. I have been with the company longer then anybody else (10 years), and was the 2nd employee ever hired.

Black
    99 SS

but see im pretty cool with them, i dont ever give em shit if there late or want to leave 30 mins early as long as they ask either and thats with pay, they do work very hard though, and every once in a while ill take em all out for drinks on me. cause well they all only make about $15 an hour so i do all i can to make em happy really. cause they have to work in some nasty shit.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

How much an hour do you make?

Black
    99 SS

They dont tech you how to spell "lead" in dem schools!

fuck got me typin to fast,

Black
    99 SS

How much an hour do you make?

$18.50 and all the OT I want and each month a bonus if i meet my goal for houses completed and its a $400-500 bonus just depending how many i get done.

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

It's hard, when I was in my 20's I was promoted to a position where all the guys were in their 50's. I was promoted over the "senior guy" who everyone thought should have gotten the job. Problem was, job required a college degree which he did not have. He kind of lead the group and I had a really hard time with them.

Now I'm still one of the youngest Managers, and I only have 1 guy out of 20 who is younger than me.

It's hard to earn their respect. Only advice I can give is don't try to force it. Don't have the "I'm the boss" attitude. They know it, you don't have to remind them. It only makes you look young, insecure & foolish.

To gain respect, you need to give it. Don't bend over for them, but try to find common ground. Things to talk about to relate to each other. "Baby Boomers" are loyal employees & react best when you talk to them like a converstation, not just give orders.

People, all people, like to be heard. Truly listen to what they have to say. Sometimes do things the way they suggest even if you think you have a better way if it does not matter. It gains Buy-in which leads to a respect.

Find out what reasources are available to you through your co's HR department. I have been through a lot of management training, and it helped a lot.

Communication is key. Do what you say you will, and they will learn to trust you. Try not to appear week or cockey.
    Last edited by davered00ss; 02-09-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    $18.50 and all the OT I want and each month a bonus if i meet my goal for houses completed and its a $400-500 bonus just depending how many i get done.
    Damn, I make more than that minus the OT... and I aint buying no one shit!

OT would be nice though. But I like my

8 and skate. ( 8 hours of BS, then going home to beers)

Well, sounds like you have a good gig. I agree 100% with above. Do not try and force it. No "im the boss" attitude. Thats the best advice for sure.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by davered00ss View Post
    It's hard, when I was in my 20's I was promoted to a position where all the guys were in their 50's. I was promoted over the "senior guy" who everyone thought should have gotten the job. Problem was, job required a college degree which he did not have. He kind of lead the group and I had a really hard time with them.

Now I'm still one of the youngest Managers, and I only have 1 guy out of 20 who is younger than me.

It's hard to earn their respect. Only advice I can give is don't try to force it. Don't have the "I'm the boss" attitude. They know it, you don't have to remind them. It only makes you look young, insecure & foolish.

To gain respect, you need to give it. Don't bend over for them, but try to find common ground. Things to talk about to relate to each other. "Baby Boomers" are loyal employees & react best when you talk to them like a converstation, not just give orders.

People, all people, like to be heard. Truly listen to what they have to say. Sometimes do things the way they suggest even if you think you have a better way if it does not matter. It gains Buy-in which leads to a respect.

Find out what reasources are available to you through your co's HR department. I have been through a lot of management training, and it helped a lot.

Communication is key. Do what you say you will, and they will learn to trust you. Try not to appear week or cockey.
    thats how I am basically now, if the senior guy says that there is a better way of doing something then i tell him by all means to do it that way. I do listen a lot to them and take it all in, I never say well im the boss or act like dick to anyone. Im a very relaxed and laid back person to work with and work for.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by davered00ss View Post

Absolutely!

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

You also have to be carefull not to always ask the guys what to do. They need to believe you know what you are doing, even when you are not sure of it yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information