Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Someone explain this?

1st I know it's illegal to transport flammable liquids in unapproved containers.

Police arrested a 47-year-old New York man accused of filling up 30 five-gallon Home Depot buckets with gasoline on Saturday night.
    According to investigators, Yunus Latif, of Richmond Hill, collected money from his neighbors, bought gas at a Valero station almost 80 miles away in Orange and planned to bring it back to his neighborhood, where they had no power and gas.
    NY Man Charged in Gas Hoarding Case | NBC Connecticut

Besides the dummy doing this; Let's say he did have gas cans, how is "legally purchasing" gas from 80 miles away and transporting it back to his house/neighborhood to use for generators/vehicles a crime?

This must be a NY/NJ thing, because down here it's common practice during an aftermath of a Hurricane.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

IDK man but common sense seems to be a lost art form in todays age. Everything today is so rule bound that if you step out of line even for a good cause, even when you are doing the right thing for your neighbors and family you can still get in trouble for it. Authority figures won't pull their nose out of the rule book long enough to hear or really listen to the reasoning.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Commonly known as red tape.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'd be concerned about static with plastic buckets like that!

Navy Blue Metallic

In the article it stated the buckets were swelling and yeah static electricity would be a major issue too.

I mean I get the way he transported it was wrong, but what pisses me off is that charge of Hording and that they poured the gas back into the stations tanks. Did he get refunded his money he paid? No = theft.

NJ has some F@#k up laws/regulations - for example - it's only state I know of where an owner of the car is not allow to pump their own gas , All gas stations must purchase fuel that is refined within the state, now Cristi suspended that one to get fuel moving for the time being.

I give it till this next storm coming up when the temps drop to freezing and you're going to see some massive house fires due to ppl trying to get heat. What will make it worse is Fire Dept will have issues getting to those that are burning because of clog streets but also might not have water in the hydrant systems.

Cold + low water + lack of food * homes on fire = riots that follow.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Sounds like that place needs a good government cleaning. I'll add that to my list of places to never live.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

If your carrying more than a certain amount it has to be transported in approved containers and a hazmat plackard needs to be affixed to the vehicle.

Most Cities/States have laws for proper storage and how much you can have on hand.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    If your carrying more than a certain amount it has to be transported in approved containers and a hazmat plackard needs to be affixed to the vehicle.

Most Cities/States have laws for proper storage and how much you can have on hand.
    Thank you captain rule book for showing us how these stupid ass rules and the people who enforce them leave multiple families without heat or fuel because NO acceptions can ever be made. We can all still think for ourselves and common sense should overrule in this case. The cops should have helped the man get that fuel back to the families with no heat in these cold months not arrested them for trying to help his neighbors while they deal with the results of this disaster.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-05-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Yes I already acknowledge that his method for transporting was wrong (While in the Army I had to deal with HAZMAT transportation and all the rules/regs for it). My gripe is how John so elegantly put it below:

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Thank you captain rule book for showing us how these stupid ass rules and the people who enforce them leave multiple families without heat or fuel because NO acceptions can ever be made. We can all still think for ourselves and common sense should overrule in this case. The cops should have helped the man get that fuel back to the families with no heat in these cold months not arrested them for trying to help his neighbors while they deal with the results of this disaster.

Give him a ticket for illegal storage, have him put into proper containers, but arresting him and dumping the fuel back into the stations is wrong...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    for example - it's only state I know of where an owner of the car is not allow to pump their own gas

Just a FYI.

Oregon also has this BS minimal wage job employment scheme. Waiting in line for 10+ minutes for an available Gas Pumping Technician happened often. When I first got into Oregon I had originally tried pumping my own gas, when some slob comes out threatening to call the Police. I asked him if I made a seriously wrong turn from Michigan and entered New Jersey

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Hey don't attack me,I didn't write the law nor did I make an arrest

In case you didn't notice I live in Canada.

If you think some of your laws are ridiculous you should see some of ours.

Arctic White, red/gray

Hey don't attack me,I didn't write the law nor did I make an arrest

In case you didn't notice I live in Canada.

If you think some of your laws are ridiculous you should see some of ours.
    I wasn't attacking you, in fact I called you Captain which is a pretty high rank in the game of life.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Just a FYI.

Oregon also has this BS minimal wage job employment scheme. Waiting in line for 10+ minutes for an available Gas Pumping Technician happened often. When I first got into Oregon I had originally tried pumping my own gas, when some slob comes out threatening to call the Police. I asked him if I made a seriously wrong turn from Michigan and entered New Jersey
    I'm not a fan of NJ, at all. I was there again yesterday.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Just a FYI.

Been there. I got the same treatment. The station attendant even cancelled the transaction, and made me give HIM my card to swipe. I gave him a shit load of shit. Which I am sure he gets all the time.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

We used to have full service out here in CA. It was a choice though. Cost a little more. Got the tires, fluids checked, the windows washed while your gas was being pumped for you..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Having someone else pump my gas for me is annoying. If I owned my SS and worked in NJ, I would not live there for the simple fact that I would not want a gas station attendant anywhere near my car.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

1,001lbs of hazardous material needs hazardous material placards affixed on 4 sides of the vehicle. Along with a hazardous material manifest and the proper UN packaging and labeling.

He'd been over the weight limit and that's US DOT regulation.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    1,001lbs of hazardous material needs hazardous material placards affixed on 4 sides of the vehicle. Along with a hazardous material manifest and the proper UN packaging and labeling.

He'd been over the weight limit and that's US DOT regulation.
    By my calcs that is 945lbs of gas.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Oh, you knew how much the gas cans weighed? I didn't.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It says in the article 4 gallons of gas were in each 5 gallon bucket. A gallon of gas weighs 6.073 pounds. He filled up 30. By my math that would be 4 X 6.073 lbs = 24.292 lbs per 5 gallon bucket.

30 X 24.292 = 728.76 lbs of gasoline.

Where are you two getting such astronomical numbers from?
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 11-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information