Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ??? :) ?? :( ???

that doesn't run at all
    Old broken piece of crap

So... when I was younger, I made a stupid decision...

Now a little later in life after getting a tatoo, i've realized that the tatoo has a universal meaning that was entirely unintended. I got a tatoo that I thought, at the time, was really frikkin cool... but theres a LITTLE problem...

It looks like a Swastika.

I want to get it changed/altered to look like something different without going OVERBOARD on the tatoo stuff... mainly because if the wrong person in the wrong mood saw this and took it wrong... i would get shot and i really dont wanna get shot

so heres a pic, anyone who can draw, anyone who's creative HELP ME PLEEEAASEEE.

Post some pics of your ideas from photoshop or ANYTHING would help me GREATLY! thanks guys!

Edit: Link Fixed
    Last edited by bluesinged; 04-17-2006 at 11:23 PM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

theres no pic, just a frog

that doesn't run at all
    Old broken piece of crap

Link Fixed

I don't think it looks like one, same basic shape but no where near a swastika. I'de leave it alone.

AND the Swastika opens in the opposite direction AND

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

Even in the early twentieth century, the swastika was still a symbol with positive connotations. For instance, the swastika was a common decoration that often adorned cigarette cases, postcards, coins, and buildings. During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division and on the Finnish air force until after World War II.

A Change in Meaning

In the 1800s, countries around Germany were growing much larger, forming empires; yet Germany was not a unified country until 1871. To counter the feeling of vulnerability and the stigma of youth, German nationalists in the mid-nineteenth century began to use the swastika, because it had ancient Aryan/Indian origins, to represent a long Germanic/Aryan history.

By the end of the nineteenth century, the swastika could be found on nationalist German volkisch periodicals and was the official emblem of the German Gymnasts' League.

In the beginning of the twentieth century, the swastika was a common symbol of German nationalism and could be found in a multitude of places such as the emblem for the Wandervogel, a German youth movement; on Joerg Lanz von Liebenfels' antisemitic periodical Ostara; on various Freikorps units; and as an emblem of the Thule Society.

Hitler and the Nazis

In 1920, Adolf Hitler decided that the Nazi Party needed its own insignia and flag. For Hitler, the new flag had to be "a symbol of our own struggle" as well as "highly effective as a poster." (Mein Kampf, pg. 495)

On August 7, 1920, at the Salzburg Congress, this flag became the official emblem of the Nazi Party.

In Mein Kampf, Hitler described the Nazis' new flag: "In red we see the social idea of the movement, in white the nationalistic idea, in the swastika the mission of the struggle for the victory of the Aryan man, and, by the same token, the victory of the idea of creative work, which as such always has been and always will be anti-Semitic." (pg. 496-497)

Because of the Nazis' flag, the swastika soon became a symbol of hate, antisemitism, violence, death, and murder.

What Does the Swastika Mean Now?

There is a great debate as to what the swastika means now. For 3,000 years, the swastika meant life and good luck. But because of the Nazis, it has also taken on a meaning of death and hate.

These conflicting meanings are causing problems in today's society. For Buddhists and Hindus, the swastika is a very religious symbol that is commonly used. Chirag Badlani shares a story about one time when he went to make some photocopies of some Hindu Gods for his temple. While standing in line to pay for the photocopies, some people behind him in line noticed that one of the pictures had a swastika. They called him a Nazi.

Unfortunately, the Nazis were so effective at their use of the swastika emblem, that many do not even know any other meaning for the swastika. Can there be two completely opposite meanings for one symbol?

BUT IT DON"T MATTER, Yours is goin the wrong way to be misinterpreted.

danger, I mostly agree with what you have to say but like blue said all it takes is one person in a bad mood to misinterpret it's meaning.........I would change it but I am far from an artist so sorry about the lack of help for the pic of the altered tat

that doesn't run at all
    Old broken piece of crap

Danger731: I dont think it looks identical to a swastika at all, what I AM worried about is the fact that the people who dont know that its not a swastika will MOST LIKELY be the ones who would be offended by it the most. lol I remember the first day i walked into my house with that, my parents said, "Jon, is that a swastika on your arm"

I've been asked by multiple other people, so the fact that you are on my side is very appreciated, but either way, other people dont agree with us

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I see where you are coming from, it does bear a resemblence and I can definitly see someone taking it the wrong way. If nothing else you could go talk to a good tattoo artist and see what they would do with it. There isn't anyone with better vision than the artist himself right

that doesn't run at all
    Old broken piece of crap

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    I see where you are coming from, it does bear a resemblence and I can definitly see someone taking it the wrong way. If nothing else you could go talk to a good tattoo artist and see what they would do with it. There isn't anyone with better vision than the artist himself right

I agree with you entirely, however the artist I would go to is a long way away and i'm more hopin to get a few descriptions, maybe a drawing or two, or anything that would give me an idea as to something to go to the place with, other than an arm and a wallet.

Last time i went into a tatoo parlor... well you can see the results lol. I'd rather have something to think over before i go in there cuz i'm too impulsive (still) to just walk in there with my money... that'd be bad

YOU FUCKING NAZI RACIST SCUMMBAG!!!!!!!!!!!
    IF I EVER SAW YOU WITH THAT TATTOO I'D SHOOT YOUR ASS!!!!!

Dude, just go to a tatt parlor and as the pro for some design ideas.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

I chose to be original. I don't have a tattoo.

that doesn't run at all
    Old broken piece of crap

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyfoot
    ROFL Thank you for the support buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyfoot

Wow, that's pretty damn original of you. Way to be so creative!

Black
    '97 Trans Am

Too bad it kind of looks like a swastika, I think it looks kinda cool.

that doesn't run at all
    Old broken piece of crap

Quote Originally Posted by 97PredatorTA
    Too bad it kind of looks like a swastika, I think it looks kinda cool.
    hahaha thanks bro, i agree

I wouldn't worry to much about it, but if you want something made out of it goto a pro and have them sketch some stuff up, there's plenty of things that could hide that design, but I think filling it in would make it look more like a swastika, right now there's a hole in the center and it looks kinda cool, just keep it

Silver
    2001 Cobra vert 530rwhp

FWIW, If "I" had seen your tat without your suggesting it looks like a swastika, I would have thought it was a throwing star or some type of tribal artwork. However, after your suggestion, I can see your concern. At least it's a cool looking tat.

that doesn't run at all
    Old broken piece of crap

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    I wouldn't worry to much about it, but if you want something made out of it goto a pro and have them sketch some stuff up, there's plenty of things that could hide that design, but I think filling it in would make it look more like a swastika, right now there's a hole in the center and it looks kinda cool, just keep it

lol I didn't expect anyone to really support keeping it how it looks now... Thanks!

However, what would you think it was at first glance... I wasn't thinking of filling it in, more i was thinking of adding something to it that made it look less like a swastika you see? a friend of mine suggested making the tips circular spirals or something.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

let cruis around philadelphia! hehe...

get a tat over that says "heil hitler"... j/k

ask a tat artist for ideas, or get a cover up tat...

Yeah, it looks like a chinese star to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesinged
    lol I didn't expect anyone to really support keeping it how it looks now... Thanks!

However, what would you think it was at first glance... I wasn't thinking of filling it in, more i was thinking of adding something to it that made it look less like a swastika you see? a friend of mine suggested making the tips circular spirals or something.
    some kind of barbed wire tribal spiral

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information