Saw a racing version of the Ford GT in the wild

Wild in this case = mall parking lot.

I think it was very similar to this, except I'm almost sure its number was 5.
    http://www.cars-10.com/wp-content/up...Edition-02.jpg

It looks like only 4000+ Ford GT cars have been made. I'm guessing only a few hundred racing versions. I am so lucky! I chose to do extra shopping just to have an excuse to walk close by. What a beauty, probably the best-looking supercar ever made, though I'd prefer mine without the racing detailing. I never got to see the driver or the GT in motion. I assume it's loud.

red
    95 Z28

You didnt see a racecar. It was normal street-legal GT from the last generation. The gulf livery paint scheme was available on the last generation of GT from the factory. It is entirely possible that whoever had that car raced it in one of the lower SCCA classes, or some other form of racing where it had some identifying marks or stickers. There was no "racing version" of the car though. They're also not all that loud with the factory exhaust.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

One of my favorite cars to come out in recent years. I love the way they look. I love the supercharged American V8 in the middle. The prices on those cars have skyrocketed over the past few years..... meaning me owning one is only becoming a more distant pipe dream. And 5.0 is right... you could get that paint scheme on the production cars. Too bad ford put some shotty electrical in there. I saw a guy at the fathers day car show 2 years ago whose GT wouldn't start.... with 5k miles on it. But once you get the electrical figured out they are awesome.

red
    95 Z28

5,000 miles? Shit, that's pretty high for a GT

Most of them that I see a mecum auctions are less than 1000 miles. Most fetch 200+ grand anymore. A low mileage car in the gulf livery can be 350+

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You didnt see a racecar. It was normal street-legal GT from the last generation. The gulf livery paint scheme was available on the last generation of GT from the factory. It is entirely possible that whoever had that car raced it in one of the lower SCCA classes, or some other form of racing where it had some identifying marks or stickers. There was no "racing version" of the car though. They're also not all that loud with the factory exhaust.
    I defer to you. But I think it has unofficially raced. Having race car markings around here is a sign to some drivers indicating, "Let's go."

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I remember when Jeremy Clarkson bought one and everyone was like waaahhh you bought an American super car. WTF. He too loved the look and how it drove... then he told the story of how the alarm wouldn't stop going off at random times and how the car refused to start at random times. Damn that electrical.

Thread Information