Thread: road trip

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

road trip

Looking for opinions or advice since there's a variety of ls1 members across the US.

Strongly considering taking the Vette on a 3k mile road trip to visit family. Would be going from Galveston TX to Greensboro NC.

I think it would most likely be right after thanksgiving, maybe December 1. Question is from Texas to north Carolina what would be the odds of hitting snow early Dec?

I have zero comfort in my abilities living in a coastal city and since I've owned it the car has yet to be left out in the rain.

Think it'd be a great adventure and would love to actually put some miles on my car, maybe get some season pics along the way. Not sure if it'd be better to wait till 2015 when it starts warming up. Just have something nagging the back of my brain that i need to go visit them and I can't afford airfare.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Snow, almost zero chance on I-10. Ice possible but unlikely.

Once you get into Northern GA and the Carolina's it increases.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Looking for opinions or advice since there's a variety of ls1 members across the US.

Strongly considering taking the Vette on a 3k mile road trip to visit family. Would be going from Galveston TX to Greensboro NC.

I think it would most likely be right after thanksgiving, maybe December 1. Question is from Texas to north Carolina what would be the odds of hitting snow early Dec?

I have zero comfort in my abilities living in a coastal city and since I've owned it the car has yet to be left out in the rain.

Think it'd be a great adventure and would love to actually put some miles on my car, maybe get some season pics along the way. Not sure if it'd be better to wait till 2015 when it starts warming up. Just have something nagging the back of my brain that i need to go visit them and I can't afford airfare.
    very good chance of hitting snow in North Carolina around that time of year...especially in Western North Carolina or Eastern Tennessee...I would try to do the trip when its warmer and hit some of the cool spots on the way there. You need to hit Highway 129 "Dragons Tail" in Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee before driving into Greensboro. The drive through that area is absolutely beautiful...it takes you right through the heart of the smoky mountains. I know all of those areas very well so if you have any questions feel free to ask...I've got family spread out all over that area and everywhere between Galveston and North Carolina lol

If you avoid the smoky mountains and go through Atlanta your chances of snow will go down by a pretty decent amount...higher elevations in the North Georgia Mountains and Western NC is where you'll run into it. With that said, we've had some really screwy winters over the past few years...Atlanta got slammed with ice and snow last year.

Speaking of Galveston...I used to love the Flag Ship Hotel in Galveston. Stayed there pretty often...Im originally from Louisiana so I spent many summers on the Texas Coast and in Mexico.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 09-03-2014 at 11:04 AM.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Yea I figured the odds would be highest west Carolinas as the coast helps moderate some of the eastern side. Id really like to go this year but it may not be worth the risk. I wonder if first week of November would be better idea?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Yea I figured the odds would be highest west Carolinas as the coast helps moderate some of the eastern side. Id really like to go this year but it may not be worth the risk. I wonder if first week of November would be better idea?
    yea way better in the first of November plus all the leaves will be changing so if you do go the mountain route "which I recommend" you'll have a really cool drive...going through Gatlinburg would be the route to take imo
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

2000 C5 Torch Red

Hmmm... may be worth looking into. Hell may even snap something good enough for cotm

Thread Information