Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip Saturn

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Thumbs down Rip Saturn

Oh well. It sucks.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

whats that black guy on the commercials got to say now?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    whats that black guy on the commercials got to say now?
    "Saturn.....we're fucked."

That should pretty much sum it up right there.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i thought Penske bought saturn??

EDIT:

this is truely upsetting news...what a shame...i feel bad b/c Penske was probably a beacon of light for all of Saturn's employees...

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/30/news...ion=2009093019
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 10-01-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Yeah I now own two pieces of American history. My 2000 Firehawk and my 1997 Saturn SC2. the saturn actually has less miles than the hawk. In light of this news I say I garage the satty and make my hawk the DD

The SC2 is truly a car that was ahead of it's time. Simply come for a ride in my SC2 to see what the best of GM could do when they put their minds to it. My LL0 engine is peppy and very smooth the interior, although mostly plastic, has wonderful look and texture. Everything about that car reeks quality and the build is top notch. Things just seem to make sense. No repair has ever been difficult if a repair has even been necessary. for a nearly 13 year old car the only maintenance it's ever needed were new hoses and new wheel bearings from sitting too long between 2000 and 2008. It has otherwise proven endlessly reliable very comfortable and super fun to drive. It's shift linkage feels like it could use some adjusting but even now it's 5 speed is smooth and accurate with a light and linear clutch. It's space frame construction means that the body panels do not bear any of the chassis load so Saturn made them from lightweight polymers. At a time when cars were, and are, getting porkier and heftier the Saturn defied this logic and tips the scales even lower than a mazda miata. As a result the S series has become a favorite of some hypermilers who have been able to squeeze in excess of 60mpg from stock s series cars. Thanks to their super slippery shape, light weight and willing engines 40mpg is easy for most drivers on the highway. Saturns S series has proven it's worth in autocross as well. I don't have a link to provide but I have seen autox results where saturns have beaten WS6's (driver mod?)

I shed a silent tear for Saturn today and drive my car a little more proudly knowing that a dedicated bunch in Spring Hill, TN designed a car that GM never would. I shall cherish my time with this example from the little car company that could. They may not have appreciated you Saturn.... but I always will.

RIP friend.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I tried posting this yesterday and it would never post...GGRRR

Even though it is considered a girly car, I like the Sky.

black
    98 WS6

that sucks
    I didn't think they would do it cause it's so close to european Opel

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE View Post
    Oh well. It sucks.
    oh well. it suckED
    haha

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

And just as they started to make non-boring cars.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That was a great read on your car. And it is a real shame Saturn is going away. I was watching the news this morning and it was said in it's 19 years, the Saturn brand never brought any revenue to GM. At best, GM broke even from the sales of Saturn cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    Yeah I now own two pieces of American history. My 2000 Firehawk and my 1997 Saturn SC2. the saturn actually has less miles than the hawk. In light of this news I say I garage the satty and make my hawk the DD

The SC2 is truly a car that was ahead of it's time. Simply come for a ride in my SC2 to see what the best of GM could do when they put their minds to it. My LL0 engine is peppy and very smooth the interior, although mostly plastic, has wonderful look and texture. Everything about that car reeks quality and the build is top notch. Things just seem to make sense. No repair has ever been difficult if a repair has even been necessary. for a nearly 13 year old car the only maintenance it's ever needed were new hoses and new wheel bearings from sitting too long between 2000 and 2008. It has otherwise proven endlessly reliable very comfortable and super fun to drive. It's shift linkage feels like it could use some adjusting but even now it's 5 speed is smooth and accurate with a light and linear clutch. It's space frame construction means that the body panels do not bear any of the chassis load so Saturn made them from lightweight polymers. At a time when cars were, and are, getting porkier and heftier the Saturn defied this logic and tips the scales even lower than a mazda miata. As a result the S series has become a favorite of some hypermilers who have been able to squeeze in excess of 60mpg from stock s series cars. Thanks to their super slippery shape, light weight and willing engines 40mpg is easy for most drivers on the highway. Saturns S series has proven it's worth in autocross as well. I don't have a link to provide but I have seen autox results where saturns have beaten WS6's (driver mod?)

I shed a silent tear for Saturn today and drive my car a little more proudly knowing that a dedicated bunch in Spring Hill, TN designed a car that GM never would. I shall cherish my time with this example from the little car company that could. They may not have appreciated you Saturn.... but I always will.

RIP friend.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    good point! i had my eye on the Aura-that car looks world class

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    yeah first saturn to every catch my eye

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by toityme View Post
    what about the sky?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by toityme View Post
    STOP FOLLOWING ME THROUGH THREADS!

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    what about the sky?
    its ok, but not my style.. i wouldnt trade my SS for it, thats for sure

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post

RIP friend.
    You and my dad own 2 REAL saturns. The S series was a genuine Saturn design with a lot of technology that was pioneered with the saturn brand at the time.

My dads 96 saturn SL is a fit and finish piece of shit and always has been, but it rides nice, runs well, doesnt burn any gas, and has only needed maintenance during its life. My dad sucks at keeping up with maintenance but the car really has only gotten filters, oil changes, brakes, tires, o2 sensors, a front pipe and an alternator. not to mention, theres TONS of room underhood to work on anything on the engine. Everytime i get underhood of the car I praise saturn engines for leaving me so much damn room to swing a wrench. fuckin great.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

It was. It got really good reviews

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

She used to do that to me too. It's called a 'Web Crush' and will fade in tyme.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    She used to do that to me too. It's called a 'Web Crush' and will fade in tyme.
    haha yall only wish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information