Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1995 Firebird

Question Are refurbished phones too good to be true? (iPhone 4G)

I'd prefer this to NOT be:
    1) A debate of iPhone vs. (insert phone)
    2) A debate of AT&T vs. (other service).

I'm wanting to know if a refurbished iPhone 4g is too good to be true? Basically my ex-g/f terminated my line on our family plan, so I'm getting on a plan with my brother. I have a slow as hell regular iPhone 3G, and figure why not upgrade since I have to sign a new contract with going on my brother's plan, but don't really have the $ right now to be buying a brand new one at $300. I see the 16gb ones on the AT&T website online special for $99 for the 4G refurbished. So..insight?

Thanks

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

its an iffy deal. you could get a great phone, or you could get a lemon phone.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Get one off craigslist, just as good of deals and better phones.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

From yrs of experience with electronics i can tell you its a crap shoot sometimes the refurbs work great other times i see the units come back with the exact same issue they had before.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Don't know about the iOS phones, but I've been seeing Droid X's go for 320-350 brand new on the Android forums.

Have you checked iOS forums for sale sections?

Scratch that, just actually read your post
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 01-26-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: .

murdered out 06 z06

if you're signing a new contract the 16g iphone 4 should be 199 brand new! i just paid that for mine last month.

red
    95 Z28

I have about 6 refurbished Apple ipods, from the nano to the touch. The thing about these refurbs is that they are products that had a problem and sent back where-in apple goes through it with a fine tooth comb and fixes the problem and makes it look brand new again. They also can be a product that someone decided they didn't want and they still go through with a fine tooth comb. The refurb phone should still come with the same warranty as the new one.

Bottom line: you are better off with a refurb from Apple. I can't vouch for any other company. I have yet to have a problem with any of my Apple refurbed products.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I personally wouldn't waste my money on a refurbished phone.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb New vs. Refurbished

All phones are made on a production line and tested for basic functionality before it leaves the plant. All those are subject to either working or not working when you first get it. The ones that have issue are typically brought back into the AT&T store for warranty and a new one is issued as a replacement. The original one is sent back to Apple as an RPO to be diagnosed as fatal or repairable. This is a money issue between Apple and AT&T at this point. Of course Apple wants it repaired as to put it back in service and not lose money on it.

If the phone is deemed repairable, then it's opened up and having the bad components replaced and verified by a technician that it's in good working order. So now you have a device that's actually checked out for full functionality as compared to a new one built off the assembly line. I don't know about you but I'd rather have a device that's been thoroughly checked out versus one that's had minimal inspection in the hope's it "should" work. (Should is the most valuable term engineer's live by)

Another possibility with refurbished phones are that they were simply returned after the 2 weeks or 30 days AT&T gives before you're locked into the contract. So these phones worked fine but were used by someone and may have some scratches or whatever. So a case and a screen protector remedies that.

Bottom line....there's nothing wrong with a factory refurbished device. Why spend more for new and the risk that it doesn't work because it's not tried and true.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
    I'd prefer this to NOT be:
    1) A debate of iPhone vs. (insert phone)
    2) A debate of AT&T vs. (other service).

I'm wanting to know if a refurbished iPhone 4g is too good to be true? Basically my ex-g/f terminated my line on our family plan, so I'm getting on a plan with my brother. I have a slow as hell regular iPhone 3G, and figure why not upgrade since I have to sign a new contract with going on my brother's plan, but don't really have the $ right now to be buying a brand new one at $300. I see the 16gb ones on the AT&T website online special for $99 for the 4G refurbished. So..insight?

Thanks
    FYI.... iphone is not a 4G device. It's the iphone 4th generation (i.e. iphone 4) and is a 3G/UMTS (HSDPA+) technology device.

I know 3G and 4G are confusing to most. It's a marketing campaign but it's based on the theoretic speed capability of the network. Currently there are only (2) 4G networks in the U.S. and that's Sprint (only with the HTC Evo) and Verizon (only with LTE and LTE capable devices). Both of these are in just a few select cities but LTE is going to be everywhere Verizon has coverage within the next couple years.

Network speed in ranking order; LTE (Verizon)> WiMax (Sprint 4G) > HSDPA+ (AT&T, T-Mobile) > 3G > 2G > Cans with strings tied to them.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

i have a buddy that got a refurb torch for 10 bucks off att and there is one problem which he thinks its the phone. Every time he clicks on this one app it freezes, its the app. i say do it and find out what happens, it does come with a warranty right?

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    FYI.... iphone is not a 4G device. It's the iphone 4th generation (i.e. iphone 4) and is a 3G/UMTS (HSDPA+) technology device.

I know 3G and 4G are confusing to most. It's a marketing campaign but it's based on the theoretic speed capability of the network. Currently there are only (2) 4G networks in the U.S. and that's Sprint (only with the HTC Evo) and Verizon (only with LTE and LTE capable devices). Both of these are in just a few select cities but LTE is going to be everywhere Verizon has coverage within the next couple years.

Network speed in ranking order; LTE (Verizon)> WiMax (Sprint 4G) > HSDPA+ (AT&T, T-Mobile) > 3G > 2G > Cans with strings tied to them.
    Two questions then.
    1. How does TMobile claiming they have 4G?
    2. Why does AT&T claim to be the fastest network?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It's called advertising and providers are notorious for flat out lying when they advertise.

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Two questions then.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

4g and TRUE 4g are diffferent. There is like a 3.5G network being used that they call 4g but it isn't. It's just super fast 3G.

Blue

Stick with a new phone

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Two questions then.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    It's called advertising and providers are notorious for flat out lying when they advertise.
    Yeah it's all marketing games. In the cell industry, speed qualifies the criteria of technology. Since T-Mobile's network can theoretically operate above normal 3G speed....they're making the claim of having a 4G network. When in fact the device and network are built under 3GPP specifications. That's why marketing/sales guys make the big bucks.

Oh and AT&T used to be the fastest network when they were the only ones to have HSDPA+ and prior to the 4G networks popping up. Verizon and Sprint 3G are slower than HSDPA+. T-Mobile used to be 2G before their recent upgrade.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

HSDPA+ is what allows At&t to have internet while you talk on phone call but verizon can't right?

Black
    02ss

iPhone sucks donkey balls. Get an Android. Cheaper to start with, easier to upgrade, no need for iTunes bullshit to sync.

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post

This

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I've purchased 5 iPhones (1 2G, 3 3G's and 1 3GS) as well as 3 iPod Touches (1 1G, 1 2G, and a 4G - they use the G to designate generation, not connection type, as said before). Of that, all the iPods were refurbs and 2 of the iPhones were. I had a problem with the 1G iPod Touch and when Apple couldn't repair it in the Apple Store they sent me a brand new iPod 2G. Never a single problem with any of the iPhones. Hope this helps.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information