Light pewter metallic
    2000 Formula Ram Air

Talking Reality TV vs Reality...a disconnect

So my Firebird is 15 years old and I have a Dodge truck that is 21 years old. I am learning that it is hard to find parts as these vehicles age. I can't even find OEM fender flares for my Dodge truck although there are some aftermarket FF's that look ok, just not original.

LMS just came out with a catalog for Dodge Trucks that lists some parts. Still waiting for the catalogue to expand.

So I am watching these "reality" tv shows where the participants rebuild an old rust bucket muscle car or truck into a show car in a week or less ! For under $15K with new paint, suspension, crate engine or engine rebuild! I'd like to know where these shops are because I don't think this can be accomplished in the universe that I am living in.

OK, Fast and Loud will shell out some cash but I still don't see where they source all of those parts in record time with such a small staff.

Counting Cars might be the most realistic and I have seen them quote potential clients $40K to $60K on a build.

Road to Sell might be the worst offender. They sold a totally redone ('67'?) El Camino at Auction for $13K I think. Ridiculous !

Recently I got a quote to repaint my truck for the low, low price of $10K!!! Ridiculous !

How do they source hundreds of hard-to-find and sometimes rare parts in just days ?! It's a miracle! And they give the owners a discount on the sale price if they submit the winning bid! Ridiculous !

LOL

NY

98 Formula
    06 duramax

never watched either of those shows but I would assume if they do it for a living they maybe know a few more places to look than you or I.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

A lot of those shows have the connections that they can call and have someone immediately drop ship what they need plus a lot of it is scripted so they have an idea of what is needed a head of time when they pick up the car.

If you know your going to be working on car x and your going to be putting in engine x along with transmission y you will pre-order them to get the stuff moving.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

As they said. When you are in the business of rebuilding and selling classic cars for 20+ years like counts customs you tend to pick up some connections. They are always on the look out for parts and they buy hard to find parts for cars they don't even have yet just incase someday they do. Also some stuff on all of those shows is scripted. IMO the guys at fast n loud seem to half ass a lot of stuff. They are just trying to get cars in and get them out. I wouldn't put it past them to use knock offs or just skip parts here and there in general and then call it a rat rod.

Thread Information