Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ran into a moral dilema tonight and I passed......

My daughter goes to daycare 1 night a week so she can be around other kids so I took my son to magic mountain tonight. It's an arcade type place that has a kids gym in it with the plastic balls and shit to climb on. Me and him go every couple of weeks or so because he loves going there and it's kind of our father/son time type of thing. I only go through the week because there's rarely anyone in there and we kinda have it to ourselves. Tonight was different.
    We get there around 7pm after going out to eat. We walk in and there's a line at the counter to get him a wrist band for the gym. We get in line and that's when I notice it's a big group of downs syndrome kids. There's a party of them in a room. We get in line and these kids keep coming up and breaking into the line. After about 20 minutes my son asked why we were still standing in line. I just told him it was because people were cutting line on us. He just stands there being patient but after about 10 more minutes of us not moving I was really thinking hard on checking a few of those kids and making their ass go to the back of the line. After thinking about it a while I just held my ground and never said anything.
    I didn't want to bust on them because they have it rough enough I guess but I was about an inch on giving them a fast track training session on what the front of the line meant and what the back of the line meant. Glad I didn't because that'd teach my boy the wrong things to do. If it would've just been a group of normal kids I wouldn't have hesitated on showing them where the line ended.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Wuss.

Black Vert
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1160

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    My daughter goes to daycare 1 night a week so she can be around other kids so I took my son to magic mountain tonight. It's an arcade type place that has a kids gym in it with the plastic balls and shit to climb on. Me and him go every couple of weeks or so because he loves going there and it's kind of our father/son time type of thing. I only go through the week because there's rarely anyone in there and we kinda have it to ourselves. Tonight was different.
    We get there around 7pm after going out to eat. We walk in and there's a line at the counter to get him a wrist band for the gym. We get in line and that's when I notice it's a big group of downs syndrome kids. There's a party of them in a room. We get in line and these kids keep coming up and breaking into the line. After about 20 minutes my son asked why we were still standing in line. I just told him it was because people were cutting line on us. He just stands there being patient but after about 10 more minutes of us not moving I was really thinking hard on checking a few of those kids and making their ass go to the back of the line. After thinking about it a while I just held my ground and never said anything.
    I didn't want to bust on them because they have it rough enough I guess but I was about an inch on giving them a fast track training session on what the front of the line meant and what the back of the line meant. Glad I didn't because that'd teach my boy the wrong things to do. If it would've just been a group of normal kids I wouldn't have hesitated on showing them where the line ended.
    You did the right thing. Set a perfect example. Now where in the Hell were the other parents and did you put your foot in their ass later on?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

nah, I never said anything to anyone. I figured those kids have it rough enough I guess and the parents probably have too. I just put myself in their shoes for a minute. Me and the boy can wait in line a little bit.
    I did fail as a parent an hour later though. There was a kid in the gym that was wild, not one of the downs kids though. His mom was up a the gym thing yelling at him the whole time. He kept banging into other kids and just being a little ass in general. My son comes out and says "daddy, that kid isn't playing nice". I told him " The next time he knocks you down punch him in the face." It never happened but I have zero doubts that if the kid ran into my son again he was getting punched in the face.

The name says it all !!!FAST!!!'s Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

I think you probably did the right thing but there should've been some care givers there or something making sure they were behaving, because they weren't learning good habits at that point. Either way you probably would've shown your son something positive. On one hand you showed him that sometimes you act like a man and just take it for a little while no matter how pissed off it makes you. On the other hand had you said anything you would've shown him "enough is enough" but there is a polite way to deal with it. Sometimes you have to be stern with people even if they are "special" otherwise they will walk all over you.

Black Vert
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1160

nah, I never said anything to anyone. I figured those kids have it rough enough I guess and the parents probably have too. I just put myself in their shoes for a minute. Me and the boy can wait in line a little bit.
    I did fail as a parent an hour later though. There was a kid in the gym that was wild, not one of the downs kids though. His mom was up a the gym thing yelling at him the whole time. He kept banging into other kids and just being a little ass in general. My son comes out and says "daddy, that kid isn't playing nice". I told him " The next time he knocks you down punch him in the face." It never happened but I have zero doubts that if the kid ran into my son again he was getting punched in the face.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

they have it rough? u know how many times i hear that mentally challenged people are the happiest people ever? ignorance is bliss. im sure they can handle a little disappointment, kick their asses to the back of the line!!!

jk man.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

While I tend to make smartass comments about stuff like this...

I will just say 'Thank You!' to 0rion. I am sure my day is coming with Sara when she is the challenged one. Although I don't think she has any mental issues (yet).

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

should have bitch slapped them

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

I will just say 'Thank You!' to 0rion. I am sure my day is coming with Sara when she is the challenged one. Although I don't think she has any mental issues (yet).
    dude, you only have to have kids to even understand it. I admire parents that face challenges like you guys are facing. It's gotta be one of the toughest things in life to do. I couldn't imagine what you guys go through mentally and emotionally.

NBM
    99 TA

i wouldn't have said anything... it should be up to the parents in that situation. BUT like you said, if it were kids that were not mentally challenged they would have seen where the back of the line was one way or another.

Im just an asshole though - im the guy who will tell parents to control their crying child in a mall or restaraunt. No one likes to be told how to do their job - but sometimes it has to be done.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    Im just an asshole though - im the guy who will tell parents to control their crying child in a mall or restaraunt. No one likes to be told how to do their job - but sometimes it has to be done.
    Im the same way.

However, i would have definitely said something. Sounds like the parents should have been paying more attention. Just because your kid is handicap doesn't mean they can do whatever they want and fairness doesn't apply to them. I mean, sure, sometimes you have to excuse them. But i think theres a limit there. And its crossed all the time.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

well I don't see anything wrong with that. you would have to tell him that he should only do it for self defense though. i fucked a kick up when I was in the 5th grade. I went to a school where it was almost all black and a couple whites tossed in there (magnet school) and the black kids thought they could do anything and did. well one in particular was always an ass to me and fucked with me all the time in front of his friends. well I got tired of his shit one day and went off on him started with a swing to the face then grabbed his neck and slammed him into a wall from then it was just beating the shit out of him with no end in sight. needless to say he never messed with me again. also that was the 5th week I was there. I tried to get out of that school since the end of the first semester. because of some bs with the county we had to get a lawyer involved and didn't get out of there until the beginning of the 3rd quarter. don't ever let your kids go to a magnet school. you will regret it quickly. they are a horrible thing in our country.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my son is a good kid. He definitely knows right from wrong ( gets that from his momma ). He's what my mom used to call "tender hearted". He cries easy and it bothers the crap out of me. I rarely say anything to him about it because that just takes the chance of making it worse. I tell my wife that in my town people like that got pushed around on a regular basis. I have noticed lately that he seems to stick up for himself a little bit so maybe he'll get out of it. Tonight when I told him to hit that kid in the face if he knocked him down again he looked at me and balled up his fist and said " I'm gonna punch him right in the nose" and looked serious about it I really wouldn't mind getting a call from school saying he popped somebody one. I don't wanna get that call every week but it also won't bother me if he starts defending himself a little. My daughter is the opposite of that. When you drop her off at daycare she'll go up to someone and just take a toy right out of their hands and walk away leaving them crying. My son never did that. It's all good and part of life. He'll be fine in the long run. You'd have to know him to get what I'm saying. He's just a good kid. Listens most of the time, really independent, and knows how to act in public. I don't really remember the last time I had to get on to him in public. He's very good about not acting up. We've been extremely lucky with him.......my daughter on the other hand is gonna make us pay for our raising as mom used to say. She's a fireball.

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

I got my @ss whooped in class once for yelling at a bully. This @ss hat was making fun of a kid with Down Syndrome and arguing with the teachers how it wasnt fair that he was allowed to be late in class and not do the same homework assignments as the other students. I mentioned how its not fair that he was born the way he is and that he needed to shut the hell up and grow up. Well I got my ass pounded after class but I still think it was worth it.

And about the comment of ignorance being bliss. I wouldn't say they're ignorant. The same boy with Down Syndrome went to my church and one of my buddies kind of took him under his wing. He said he talked pretty often about how he realized he was different from the other kids and couldnt understand why. Pretty sad actually.

Oh, and Kudos to you for not saying anything to them. I agree that some parents or their guardians at least should have been teaching them some manners though.

Anyone that thinks these kids should be punished harshly when they do wrong try and volunteering for the Special Olympics sometime. It will give you a different perspective.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Kudos, Orion. My mom used to work with severely handicaped people at a govt. funded facility. I've been in there and seen some things that will make you thank God every day you are healthy. Downs Syndrome does not prevent a kid from knowing right from wrong. I could see a group of "normal" kids acting very similarly without adult supervision in that kind of environment. I know it was a special time for them and their parents probably wanted them to just cut loose and have the time of their lives, etc. but there needs to be order.

Your kid is going to be better than fine, he's just got some tough life lessons ahead of him and he'll be stronger in the end. I bet he's going to be very ambitious and somewhat political in the sense that he gets along with most everyone and brings people together who therwise would not.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Good show of self control, Orion. You did the right thing.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

well breathing all those fumes from slow ass cant be healthy(better sell it to me) and in the future if she becomes a member of ls1 then :Nono: she will have issues in the mental variety..look at ryan..hes been a member since 99

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

yea you did the right thing, mentally disabled or not..showing respect even when respect isnt given is the greatest example. I always let elderly people cut me no matter where i am. I try not to be in such a rush that i cant be polite.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

My brother was in the pediatrics ward at U of Iowa hospital for a while...you see those kids on the street and in restraunts etc, and feel bad, you see them in there, see what their life is like, all the shit that gets done to them. If they wanted to cut I would not have argued. Give them the hour or two or happiness, cause trust me, they ain't smiling in the hospital.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information