Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quitting smoking help

OK I am going nucking futs, gum isn't helping the patch itches any other ideas?

In Before bacon

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Don't bother, just enjoy them. I gave up on quitting smoking and i am not being sarcastic.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The 4 mg gum worked for me. Nothing else ever did.

But, you have to really be ready to quit. I can't tell you how many times I tried to quit and failed.

But, the benefits when you do are amazing Keep trying.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE View Post
    Don't bother, just enjoy them. I gave up on quitting smoking and i am not being sarcastic.
    It has became a financial nessesecity, at damn near 8 bucks a pop. I remember when they was a buck fity, and that was just 7 years ago.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Mind over matter!

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

i WISH i could have let every smoker meet my father.... he died at 69 of respatory failure due to emphysema. he smoked for years. he was the best athelete in our town when he was younger, he was invited to try out for the Yankees international team as a pitcher in the early 60s but he was drafted by the army for Vietnam so there went that. by the time he got out of the army he was 190lbs of pure man (he only stood 5'10) and by the time he died he was only 76lbs. smoke all you want, just HOPE you don't end up throwing the last 10 years of your life away in a nursing home not even being able to get out of bed because you feel like you are drowning in your own body. he didn't even get to see his only son get married. i got married a month after he died.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You are doing something good for yourself and your family. Be strong...

Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

The first two weeks suck. Plain, flat out fucking suck.

The problem isn't nicotine, it's your detoxing from all the other stuff and on top of that, AND you're kicking the habit. It's not just the rituals, it's the triggers.

Have kids? If you do, think to yourself 'how do I tell them I failed'? That's what got me through the rough times.

Another thing, if one piece of gum doesn't do it, pop another. Deep breaths will also get you through the fits. They generally only last a couple of minutes - so tell yourself you can last one more minute, then another. Pretty soon, it's gone.

Quit 2/1/07. Haven't had one since.

Another thing is that you can't have "just one" - or at least I couldn't. Haven't had a drink since feb '07 either since that was one of my triggers. If you do, you start all over again.

If you're serious about quitting, you must go into it knowing that you'll NEVER have another cig again. Recognize your triggers and mentally prepare yourself for them before they hit you like a ton of bricks.

It gets easier. Stick with it. You will thank yourself for it later on, and there is a huge sense of pride and accomplishment when you recognize that you haven't wanted/thought about having a cig for a day/week/month and eventually year.

Good luck bro.

G
    Last edited by gjb; 06-15-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Don't buy any? Can't be tempted with what you don't have.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

commit lozenges (sp?). Worked for my grandmother. My grandpa kept smoking and she ended up starting smoking again two years later because she was "stressed" and he had cigs readily available. My other grandparents quit on willpower. Ole Barry Obama always had shit from nicorette foaming out of his mouth, maybe that worked for him

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Thanks lady and gents. I was doing good until the wife came in here.

her: so how are you doing?
    me: ok I just have a few more things to put together and then write out the resume.
    her: no I mean with the smoking. I am doing good, it is just when i drive,talk on the phone blah blah blah.

me:WILL YOU SHUT UP i WAS DOING FINE UNTIL YOU MENTIONED IT
    her: well I just want you to know what triggers my desires for one
    me :KNOW WHAT TRIGGERS MINE, YOU NOW GO AWAY.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you live in Jersey right? Can't you just walk outside and breath real deep to smoke?

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you live in Jersey right? Can't you just walk outside and breath real deep to smoke?
    where I am is very rural,the air is pretty clear but when the neighbors smoke outside it makes it hard on me.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

What did it for me was when I woke up one morning and couldnt hardly breath. I had tried quitting before and couldnt but after that it was no problem. The gums help but when it comes down to it, its just how strong is your willpower and are you truely commited to quitting. Im so happy I quit though I started working out again recently and I dont feel like im going to kill over after running like when I smoked.

The rough part is those first couple weeks after that its easy. Im at the point now where if you put me next to someone who is smoking i cant stand it and want to get away as fast as possible.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

You gotta just quit cold fucking turkey! There's no other way. No excuses! Man up or give in! 1 day turns into 2 days turns into a week turns into a month turns into a year...

Your clothes smell like crap when you smoke. It's in your hair, in your breath... I bet you're old lady thinks she's kissing an ashtray!

After a while cigarette smoke will start to smell like shit! And you won't want one. I can smell a smoker 3 cars away...

That's what I did. 5 years later and I sometimes still want a butt...

This after 35 years of a min of 1.5 packs a day.

And to Wheelie-Maxx: Your Gma was weak. I still have 1-1/2 CARTONS of Cowboy (Marlboro for those who don't know) Lights in my dresser drawer as a reminder.

You can do it! I did...
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 06-15-2010 at 07:02 PM.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Dunno if you have medical insurance but Kaiser offers a free program. You go to meetings and while you go they give you blockers to help with withdraws...then ween you off the blockers. My pops did it and so far it worked for him.

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

The patches worked for me. It was the only thing that did. I could not handle cold turkey. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Everything else is easy in comparison (talking about bad habits). I've been smoke free for over 10 years.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post

After a while cigarette smoke will start to smell like shit! And you won't want one. I can smell a smoker 3 cars away...
    Funny how that works isn't it. Growing up, both my parents smoked. I started smoking at 15 and had no idea how bad it smelled until about a year after I quit.

My Dad died at 60 of Emphysema in 2003. I didn't quit for good until 1/2/2007

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Funny how that works isn't it. Growing up, both my parents smoked. I started smoking at 15 and had no idea how bad it smelled until about a year after I quit.

My Dad died at 60 of Emphysema in 2003. I didn't quit for good until 1/2/2007
    Yeah I didnt understand that till I quit. When I smoked I loved the smell of a cigarette and cloves were my weakness if i smelled one of those i had to have one. Now I cant stand it and I was hanging out with a friend of mine who still smokes and after about an hour I couldnt take it any longer I wanted to get the hell away from him.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

I'm currently taking a different approach to quitting smoking. I have always smoked Marlboro's. Recently they've offered free smokeless tobacco (snus) with the purchase of packs of smokes.

My whole thing is to break the habit of your arm to your mouth with every puff. The less I do of that the less I think about smoking.

Yesterday at work I smoked 8 cigarettes. During my normal 12 hour shift I would smoke at least 12. Today I've only had 5 cigarettes.

As cheesy as this sounds it's helping me. Even though I'm getting some nicotine, I'm cutting way back. I hopefully will be smoke free in July.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information