Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for the runners out there

I've decided I need to get into shape, so I've added running to my mix of things to do every other day or so. My question is, what is considered beginners, average, fast and pro in terms of going a mile? I'm not talking like flat out track running a mile, I'm talkin the kind of running youd do on a boardwalk or on the beach, like a fast jog even paced go. I don't even know where to begin to estimate, I have no experience in running what so ever. ie. like in a car, 16 seconds would be a beginners 1/4 mile, 14 would be average, 12 would be fast, 10 and below are pro... you get my generalization

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

6 is fast
    10 minutes is a slowish pace
    go for 8

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

just time yourself and see where you go form there...it doesnt really matter what other people consider good, jsut push yourself and see how good you can do

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Who cares about the mile...a 3 mile run will give you a better idea of the shape you're in IMO. Anything under 18 min is fast...18-19 is pretty quick...20-22 is decent...22+ is the beginning of being slow. Running a mile is more about someones speed then actual endurance. So if someone is a faster sprinter than you you'll probably lose a mile race even if you're in better cardio shape.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Best thing to do is alternate your running ... Better to jog for a while sprint and then get back to a good pace for a while ..this realy helps your heart .. And get some good running shoes ..Make sure you get in some good stretching before and after and, drink plenty pf water ..

i just ran a mile in a grass field in my boots and long pants heh... 10:42

i had to stop to "power walk" about 4 times my stomach was cramping like mad... when i got back, i felt like i was going to pass out for about 10 minutes after... thats probably not a good sign?

guess i have alot of work to do...

the first 1/4 i was fine, then my legs started to burn a bit and the back of my throat, i made to almost the half mile mark when my stomach was cramping and i had to walk for about another 1/8. ran about an 1/8, walked an 1/8 and ran the rest, sat down and i thought i was about to die lol

my legs feel "used" but not tired, my stomach hurts abit but my throat really is bothing me, i have almost a dry burning cough urge and i feel light headed. normal for someone out of shape i guess?

Black
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

shit i love running almost as much as i do racing. 3mi. a day.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Running is a mental war...if you start to walk or stop completely you lost a battle. Your body won't give out on you, unless you have some sort of medical problem...so as long as you're hydrated you don't have to worry about dying when the pain starts.

The light headed feeling and burning is normal when you push your body wayy out of it's comfort zone...which is what you want to do to see gains. Your body does all sorts of weird shit...I remember when I got my first "runners high". As i'm running all the pain went away...my pulse and breathing actually went down...I felt like I could run forever.

I had a buddy when i was in the military that ran marathons..he actually said sometimes he'll see himself running from outside of his body after long distances. I believe him...i've experienced that in different situations.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 05-09-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    i just ran a mile in a grass field in my boots and long pants heh... 10:42

i had to stop to "power walk" about 4 times my stomach was cramping like mad... when i got back, i felt like i was going to pass out for about 10 minutes after... thats probably not a good sign?

guess i have alot of work to do...

the first 1/4 i was fine, then my legs started to burn a bit and the back of my throat, i made to almost the half mile mark when my stomach was cramping and i had to walk for about another 1/8. ran about an 1/8, walked an 1/8 and ran the rest, sat down and i thought i was about to die lol

my legs feel "used" but not tired, my stomach hurts abit but my throat really is bothing me, i have almost a dry burning cough urge and i feel light headed. normal for someone out of shape i guess?
    Get yourself some good running shoes, and some shorts so you don't get heat exhaustion. If you haven't ran for a while, its going to be tough no matter what. I recently decided to get back into running to shed some body fat, and the first time on the treadmill kicked my ass, and I was a long distance runner on my high school track team. Keep at it, you'll see your tiems go down and you'll feel more energized throughout the day.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    I remember when I got my first "runners high". As i'm running all the pain went away...my pulse and breathing actually went down...I felt like I could run forever.
    One of the best feelings ever

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

I hate running, but I can run for miles and miles. the only problem is its slow... like 9 minute miles. but I dont ever stop. I could probably go out right now and run a 5 hour marathon

I run till I do this to myself

then I keep running and get nice tough callous feet

then I stop all winter and get fat.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    I hate running, but I can run for miles and miles. the only problem is its slow... like 9 minute miles. but I dont ever stop. I could probably go out right now and run a 5 hour marathon

I run till I do this to myself
    Click for full size

then I keep running and get nice tough callous feet

then I stop all winter and get fat.
    You need to tie you shoes tighter man...

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

ill give it a shot. I tie em pretty tight

ive had some pros check my feet out and they say my arches are in weird positions on my foot and that causes the blisters from hell in those areas.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    ill give it a shot. I tie em pretty tight

ive had some pros check my feet out and they say my arches are in weird positions on my foot and that causes the blisters from hell in those areas.
    Oh, maybe thats it then I hadn't run in a while, and had been using my running shoes just to go to the gym for lifting, so they were real loose... I decided to start running again not too long ago, forgot to tie them, hopped on the treadmill and half an hour later I had blisters almost as bad as that

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

you might want to try the old dress socks inside you regular socks .. that helps when going on hikes ....

fuck that dude i'd stick to runnin barefoot on the sand with blisters like that, ouch.

i have some running shoes but my boots are 5.11 tacs and are the best feeling things i own, they were awesome for running, first time ive ever ran and not gotten shin splints.

should i take a break tomorrow like you do when you lift or is it ok to run every 24 hours? i know i'm gunna be hurtin for sure lol but if not i was planning on a bike ride or a walk. i did another 2 miles walking tonight and i was good, cept the inside of my left leg hurt, but i did that about a week ago doin inverted situps or whatever they are called.

lol what i experienced wasnt no runners high thats for sure lol, more like serious lack of oxygen getting to the brain lol! ive had some of that though while doing some long distance biking... i can go forever on a bike or walking, my body just hates the running/jogging motion like nobodys buisness. the best though is the severe pain high... get a bottle of red savina pepper sauce and go at it... people will think you are drunk and on pcp, you go in a zone man!! serious urge to hurt things and no sense of pain or consequence! heh

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Nah its not like lifting, you can run every day because you're not waiting for your muscles to heal. When I ran track we did 5 miles a day on a cross country course five days a week.

3rd time out, i got down to a 9:13 and i only walked 2ce... i changed how i was breathing... i probably sound like a pyscho but i think its working well lol

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

Breathing is a HUGE deal with running, if you are breathing the wrong way you can seriously strain yourself. Just find a good pace, breathing and running-wise, and stick with it. It's almost like meditating, once you get in the rhythm you can run forever. And don't worry about your times, as long as your legs burn after every run you know you are building muscle and endurance. Also, when your legs start to burn after a few hundred yards or so, don't stop. Keep pushing through it and they will ease up or at least feel a tiny bit better after a minute or two. Just remember to keep hydrated and pay attention to your body, if something hurts just a little too much you should stop and check it out. It's better to lose your momentum and stretch/relax for a minute than pull a muscle or hyperventilate.

Good luck with your running, keep up with it and you'll be healthy in no time!

Whats sad is that I'm about 18 feet above sea level and I'm suckin wind, hows Colorado lol.

I breath in shallow and fast and kinda huff it out real fast... almost like a dog pant but about half as fast.

is there like a "breathing rule" for running thats out there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information