Q' about Jeep (wrangler/cherokee)

I'm looking to get a mid 90's wrangler or cherokee as a beater/adventure toy but i'm curious about a few things.

I have know a few people with Jeep's, some say they are bullet proof mechanically, others have said they are junk. Anyone have some real experience with them? I'm not going mud racing in the thing I just want to be able to drive in the snow for a change (love my Trans though ) and get to my sisters house in the winter (lives in the mountains, crazy roads)

also curious about 4wd...ive never owned one before, but are they front or rear wheel drive when in 2 wheel mode?

specifically the wranglers, are they especially cold in the winter or noises since it has plastic and clothe instead of glass?

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

I had a '99 GC Laredo as my first car. That thing would take anything. Driven constantly, has about 120k only the clock, bought it with 68.

My dad drives it as his car now and there has been zero issues with it. Its been driven through inches of snow with no problems either.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

RWD when in 2wd. Jeeps, even the new ones, the soft tops are trash. Personally I'd never own one, have too many friends that have them and they get to leaking after a few years, they stretch and get floppy, tear, LEAK, noisy, etc. Just my personal opinion I guess. Wranglers are such a short wheelbase they tend to spin out easily in slippery conditions. If you're looking for an older wrangler (YJ style (leaf springs front and rear)) be careful of the 5spd Peugeot transmission, as it was a junky box, and look for one with the other style (whatever it may be). I'm sure you can find this information on a Jeep forum somewhere. Are you dead-set on a Jeep? What about a small truck? I have a standard cab shortbox ranger that isn't too much longer than a jeep, about as narrow and they have quite a following as well. The way I look at a Jeep is the same way a Tuner could a Civic, everybody sells shit for it aftermarket. Anything and everything out there is made to fit a Jeep it seems, so the aftermarket following is good in that respect.

When it comes right down to it, buy what you want.

red
    02 trans am ws6

Rear wheel drive, a buddy has a 92 cj7 he drive his all winter, the heater takes the chill out but will no means make you perspire. I just picked up a 85 neat ride check it out in anything goes posts. they ride like crap. get a 6 cyl. little more power then the 4. I had a 83 s10 blazer 4x4 3inch lift and 33s with a 355 in it my girlfriend had a stock 88 cherokee it would go anywhere mine would. neat rides.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    I'm looking to get a mid 90's wrangler or cherokee as a beater/adventure toy but i'm curious about a few things.

I have know a few people with Jeep's, some say they are bullet proof mechanically, others have said they are junk. Anyone have some real experience with them? I'm not going mud racing in the thing I just want to be able to drive in the snow for a change (love my Trans though ) and get to my sisters house in the winter (lives in the mountains, crazy roads)

also curious about 4wd...ive never owned one before, but are they front or rear wheel drive when in 2 wheel mode?

specifically the wranglers, are they especially cold in the winter or noises since it has plastic and clothe instead of glass?
    Dude, i bought a wrecked jeep cherokee for 4 wheeling purposes only. Me and my buddy drove it back trails with one foot diameter rocks and the suspension didn't break at all. Also we had the temp gauge maxed out for 3 hours straight, until the rad hose finally blew. We got out, cut the bad part of the hose off, dumped in the water from our beer cooler, and the fucking thing fired back up! I would have fixed it and put it on the road but there was no title.

I also have one on the road now, it has the 5 spd, the other one was auto. The one now i have been beating for a year, the damn thing chirps 3rd gear and has 160k on it. The only thing i would tell you to watch out for is floor rust. Definitely check the unibody right above the rear leaf spring mounts, thats where mine is the worst. Both of my jeeps had the 4.0 HO motor and they run amazing. Also check to see if the exhaust manifold has a crack in the top, that is very common.

Grey
    2003 R/T

Never owned on but mu cousin did, its a little drafty in the winter but just keep the heat cranked and your fine. They are RWD when in 2wd. Just like anything if you maintain it, it will last forever. If you get the I6 4.0, make sure the head gasket is ok. They are easy to work on tho. And don't get an auto!!!!! that's sacreligious

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

JEEP FTW jeeps last forever the frame will rott out befor the drive train quits if maintained

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

OK, the year Wrangler you would be interested in are '92 and later.

'91 and previous had the aforementioned Peugot junker trans. The '92 also had the better roll bar that allowed for shoulder belts in the rear instead of just lap belts for the passengers.

If you go auto trans in a Wrangler, you'll only get a 3 speed (no OD) up until around '02.

The '92-'95 Wrangler is leaf sprung and rides like a UPS truck. Hence the very low prices. There was no 1996 model.

The '97 and up is coil sprung and rides far better. It also performs better off road.

Get the 4.0 inline 6. The 4 cylinder will save you very little in gas since it has to work to keep the truck moving. If you add lift and big tires, the 4 cyl is beyond bad.

The 5 speed transmissions from '92-'99 are the same. From 2000 to 2003, the 5 speed was an NVG3550 truck trans. Near bulletproof in a light Wrangler. In 2004 they went to a 6 speed manual that was weaker than the NVG3550, but not necessarily a bad trans.

If you plan on a suspension lift for any Wrangler, you will need a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit (~$400 for kit and the same for install + $300 for new driveshaft). Only the Rubicon model has the SYE from the factory.

The Slip Yoke transfer case is why you see so many Wranglers with a body lift to clear big tires. Lift the suspension and go offroad and the slip yoke will pull right out of the Tcase, puking ATF everywhere and giving you a nice walk home.

Yes, the soft top leaks, flaps, gets brittle and has to be replaced. But it's a Jeep.

I have a 1979 CJ7 that I've owned for what seems like forever and I will own for that long again. It's not a logical vehicle and if you approach one with logic in mind you'll hate it.

For a civil mannered daily driver, the XJ Cherokee is a better choice.

Here again, you want the '92 and later models with the 4.0. Auto or manual trans, take your pick. Manuals are the same as Wrangler but the XJ gets the AW4 O/D auto that has a decent reputation.

Avoid the 1995 model as it has a bad reputation for electrical gremlins.

If possible, get a '97 and up. For max durability, get a '99 as most of them had the 8 3/4 rear instead of the D35C. 2000 and up seemed to have more issues.

Good Luck on your Jeep quest.
    Last edited by CJREX; 10-21-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I had a 1999 Cherokee.

Loved it...but I need to stick to stuff that stays on pavement.
    I rolled it over after owning it for 3 months.
    I walked away...and did the passenger.

I never got to 50K miles on it, but my old man had a 160K 4.0L Jeep run GREAT for him. No problems...aside from a cat that gave out.
    He sold it...to get a truck for himself.

Black
    1998 LS1 T/A Conv. RamAir

I have a 1997 TJ soft top with the solid doors and glass windows. It has 177,000 miles, no rust and the 4 cylinder is still running strong. The 5 speed is still kicking. The heater works very well, maybe because of the solid doors not loosing much heat. In 1997 they changed the interior, dash, etc...and went from a CJ to a TJ. Much better value. I will sell you mine for $ 4,800.........

awesome post cjrex! just what i was looking for!

gold
    2000 honder accord

I have a 95 jeep cherokee SE 2wd, 133k on the clock. no problems. tranny leaks a little thats about it. Its a great car, even in the winter it gets around pretty good its got the detroit locker.

Thread Information