Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Thumbs down PSN now CHARGING for use???

Have you guys seen the notices going around that the PlayStation Network is supposedly going to start charging for their use? I've heard Xbox Live is like $15/mo or $60/yr, which is whatever, don't care, but now the PSN is going to start doing this? I'm guessing that it's because of the economy and it's all falling down the line, but does anybody have any insight to this? I rarely use mine, maybe a night or two during the week, at the most, but I use it pretty frequently during the weekend.

2011 Prius

If they charged, I would sell mind and go with Xbox... It's been a year since I used an Xbox, but I enjoyed online better.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I haven't used my mic in about 2 weeks and now the damn thing doesn't even work. It's a PS brand at that

They're supposed to start it on the 12th (Tuesday)

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The UMDs are also being fazed out for the PSP. They are going with the PSPgo and you pay to download all the games etc.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The UMDs are also being fazed out for the PSP. They are going with the PSPgo and you pay to download all the games etc.
    I'm sorry Preston, but can you please elaborate on "pay to download all the games"? I'm an idiot when it comes to these electronics. So if I have Madden 10 and COD-WAW and I want to pay online, what's going to be the change of difference?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    I'm sorry Preston, but can you please elaborate on "pay to download all the games"? I'm an idiot when it comes to these electronics. So if I have Madden 10 and COD-WAW and I want to pay online, what's going to be the change of difference?
    For the PSP instead of buying a disc to play, you have to buy the game online using the voucher cards I believe. The voucher cards from what I have seen cost the same that the disc would. So basically you have to pay $19.99, $29.99 or $39.99 for the voucher, download it and buy lots of fn memory sticks for the PSP. I just don't like it, I prefer having the disc. I have the PSP 3000, I didn't want the new PSPgo, because you can't put discs in the Go version at all, its download only. I have been stocking up on the UMD discs from Amazon and used places(Gamestop, etc) because stores are pretty much wiped out of the UMDs anymore. There are still a few recent title UMDs in stock at Walmart/Bestbuy but anything over a few months old is gone.

I still have a PS2, haven't gotten into a PS3 yet. I am really debating on it. I am really hooked on PSP. My brothers PS3 blew up on him first of December and then this stuff about PSN charging has really had me leaning towards not getting a PS3.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Oooohhhh you're talking about PSP? I was referring to PS3. But I got a couple "IMPORTANT PROTEST" forwards in my message box about this whole PSN wanting to start charging for online use. I guess that so long as you have COD: World At War, you can play online with people that have it for PSP as well? Ah well, I guess we'll see come Tuesday...

As for the PS3 durability, I can't say much myself. I got mine back in September, and have had one issue with it. I stopped playing it (had only been playing for maybe 2 hours), shut it down, left it alone. Next day I go to fire it up, and it won't read ANY of my discs. So I took a spare "audio/dvd cleaner cd" I had laying around, played it, and shut it down. I took some compressed air and GENTLY cleaned the back off it, figuring maybe dust? It's worked fine from that point on, with the exception of not wanting to establish a connection to my headset, as it had before. Another guy I know, had a problem with his PS3 blowing up within the first 9 months or so that he had his. Ah well, that's why I paid extra for 3 year coverage when I bought it.

BUT I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT MY MIC NOT WORKING!!!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Stories like yours make me even more skeptical. I think my brother had his for a year plus, maybe 2 years, when his blew. He ended up buying another, he didn't have the extended warranty. I know he paid a lot more for the first one he had versus the one he has now. I know he got more memory this time around too, so it wasn't so bad, but still shitty. I think you can get the 250 gig for $350 now and the 120 gig for $300, so I may get one this summer, but for now PSP keeps me busy.

I just got a COD PSP game earlier this week, haven't even dove into it yet

Oooohhhh you're talking about PSP? I was referring to PS3. But I got a couple "IMPORTANT PROTEST" forwards in my message box about this whole PSN wanting to start charging for online use. I guess that so long as you have COD: World At War, you can play online with people that have it for PSP as well? Ah well, I guess we'll see come Tuesday...

As for the PS3 durability, I can't say much myself. I got mine back in September, and have had one issue with it. I stopped playing it (had only been playing for maybe 2 hours), shut it down, left it alone. Next day I go to fire it up, and it won't read ANY of my discs. So I took a spare "audio/dvd cleaner cd" I had laying around, played it, and shut it down. I took some compressed air and GENTLY cleaned the back off it, figuring maybe dust? It's worked fine from that point on, with the exception of not wanting to establish a connection to my headset, as it had before. Another guy I know, had a problem with his PS3 blowing up within the first 9 months or so that he had his. Ah well, that's why I paid extra for 3 year coverage when I bought it.

BUT I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT MY MIC NOT WORKING!!!

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

This is what happens when, instead of making good business decisions, you just do whatever it takes to compete in the pissing contest that is video game consoles, and lose over 1 Billion USD.

Well played Sony, well played.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

relax. they aren't going to start charging tomorrow. They can't just go and sign everyone up for a "for pay" service without consent. You would also have a huge outlash and PR nightmare if you just closed the service down to non paying customers without proper written notice. I don't know about all of you but I have received no such notice from Sony on the e-mail attached to my PSN account.

This is a mass e-mail that's going around the PSN to freak people out just like the whole youtube is going to close unless this e-mail gets to 5,000,000 people quick put ur name on it and send it to everyone!

and the MS is going to give everyone on this list 500 bucks if it reaches 10,000 people!

Fact is that Sony did announce that they are considering a fee based service but it will only be for additional features that currently aren't on the PSN. The majority of users would remain free and premium subscribers would be granted access to additional content. What happened here is that some 12yr old read that and though OMFGZZZZ I won't be able to play MW2 anymore and change my voice to that weird sounding crap and talk a big talk while getting bitch slapped by real players and then making excuses about how bad the lag waz on dat roundzzzz.. So then i'll hack the game to give myself a lvl 10 prestige so that everyone will think my e-peen is HUGE!

or something like that.

So who's up for some free MW2 on wednesday?

Black
    99 SS

I was about to post the same thing

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Well played Sony, well played.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ[/ame]

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Have you guys seen the notices going around that the PlayStation Network is supposedly going to start charging for their use? I've heard Xbox Live is like $15/mo or $60/yr, which is whatever, don't care, but now the PSN is going to start doing this? I'm guessing that it's because of the economy and it's all falling down the line, but does anybody have any insight to this? I rarely use mine, maybe a night or two during the week, at the most, but I use it pretty frequently during the weekend.
    I do the $50 for a year thing it's the cheapest...otherwise it's like $8 a month or $20 for 3 months.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

If this is true, im trading my bro for his xbox, i dont like ps3 enough to pay for online, xbox live is so much better imo, and the games for the console are much better on top of that.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I remember hearing this rumor almost 2 years ago and what do ya know nothing ever came of it. Its the one thing Sony has to trump Microsoft. As far as reliability my PS3 is over 1 1/2 years old and has never had an issue whereas one of my buddies PS3's just took a shit one day. Sony told him to send it in and they put a new harddrive in for free even tho his warranty had expired months ago. So even if some PS3's have issues I wouldn't be concerned about it

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    If this is true, im trading my bro for his xbox, i dont like ps3 enough to pay for online, xbox live is so much better imo, and the games for the console are much better on top of that.
    What if (if it ever comes out) they have tires with traction in gran turismo unlike forza

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

U girls are getting your panties in a bunch. The current PSN, as we know it, will remain free. There are talks about a premium PSN service that will cost money. But, nothing about the free service that we have now, will change.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

so how's that PSN payment working out for ya

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

There is NO payment. ZERO, ZILCH, NADA!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Sounds like they are phasing out the free service to me...

I just pay 35 bucks a month for 13 months. Is it really that fucking bad? 360 is cheaper anyways. Owell, i don't wanna start a console war.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information