Member since 1999 RATCHETMASTER's Avatar

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

Is Prepaid legal a good idea for my situation

Has anyone used PREPAID legal service??? Positive or negative experiences??

Here is my situation.
    My brother passed away last year. His “friend” took over the house my brother leased and would not let us get my brothers possessions. Included was all his store inventory from his music store and many religious artifacts. We are talking 50-75 thousand dollars worth of “stuff”.
    The police would not get me in or kick him out. . . said it was a civil matter.

Also were 6 cars (most not running) and all the usual stuff like refrigerator, personal belongings, etc.

He also took over my brothers Ebay business (all passwords, email accounts, etc) computers, thousands of books (my brother also wrote a couple of books) that he used for research.

The landlady ALLOWED this to happen and would not kick him out. She also did not return the deposit and gave no explanation and will not answer letters I have sent her.

We also need to file a wrongful death suit because of the circumstances under which he died. IT is a difficult one as it is against a county.

All of this took place in California. I currently live in Utah and have lived here for many years. This makes it more difficult to take care of.

Money is an issue. So will prepaid legal be a good idea??????

Please give your opinions and advice.
    My brother left me a will and expected me to take care of things for my mother and things are a BIG mess as you can see.

Thanks

I don't know anythign about pre-paid legal services, but your story is pretty crazy.

Who exactly is this "friend"?
    How did your brother die, and what country are you looking to sue in the wrongful death suit?

Don't listen to me, but I'd be inclined to let myself into this house and take my brother's belonging by force. And I'm be well armed and far from alone.

Anyway, good luck.

Unless your brother gave him the property in a will, the court will side with the family. You had better move fast so none of his stuff gets sold off.

Black
    97 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrus
    Unless your brother gave him the property in a will, the court will side with the family. You had better move fast so none of his stuff gets sold off.
    That's pretty much right..

Pre-paid legal might help you out, but You only get a certain amount of "lawyer time" when you sign up, you have to have it a few years to bank up the hours.. For your situation.. it looks like all pre-paid legal will do is give you a 25% dicount off the lawyers normal price.. Benefits go up the longer you have the service. If you need more info, or have anymore questions, feel free to pm me, and if you want brochures about it, include your address. (we offer pre-paid legal as a supplement to insurance in my office, but we can sell it normally as well)

BIGRED Z
    Your best bet would be to call up some lawyers and use their "free consultation". They will let you know if you have a case or not. Also, most cities have a legal aid number in the yellow pages.

But it sounds like you have several different things going on. You need probate court to decide on matters in the will. The friend thing sounds complicated as well. As far as filing a wrongful death suit, that's an entirely different situation too.

Talk to a lawyer asap. If you wait to long, statute of limitations will run and you'll be SOL.

Lori

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

No money for legalities? One word for you because from what your saying does sound "fishy" about this "friend''. Call the state Attorney Generals office. They will be glad to help or offer advice. Good luck.

And as a last resort, get a bunch of freinds together and go pay him a visit.

Thread Information