Black
    2001 WS6

powdercoating fail- help

ok so i posted this up a week or so ago. When I had my accident, it destroyed one of my powdercoated rims got destroyed. so I got a new oem wheel from the body shop. I decided to have my rims redone in a diff color, from gold to black. I called up the powdercoating shop where I went before, explained the situation to them, that i got a new wheel out of it and wanted to get the others redone. The guy said $125 for all 4. I said wow really? he said yes. I explained to them that the car was my daily and that i could only get 2 rims done at a time. ok thats fine no problem. They were gonna powder over the gold. So i take the first 2 rims down, and they get done perfect. I pick them up, and pay . They had mentioned to me that the one wheel was a regular oem alloy wheel, and i had to re explain that i told the guy on the phone that and he said it was no big deal, still 125. So they said cuz it would normally be more expensive, but ok. So I payed what it originally was, 125. So i bring back the second set. A few days later I go to pick them up, the guy who i had spent 10 mins talking to when i picked up the other set acted like he didnt know who i was. I take the rims outside and they're clearly a diff color. They were a metallic black. So I went and told them before I left, and they said that it was the gold shining through. I said one of the rims up front was gold and came out perfect flat black. So the guy got pissed off and took one of the wheels back in sayin he'd repowdercoat them. ok. So, a week later I go to pick them up, the guy doesnt even say hi to me, he just goes to get the rims. He brings them up and I take them outside and they'e still the wrong color. ffffuuuu. So I go back inside and take this guy out. The guy goes into how he gave me a good deal on them, and that if i wanted them done right, i should have brought all 4 in at the same time. I re explained how i told him why i couldnt. he goes into about how if they send them out to get stripped, that they can start over, and that it'd be $25 a rim. I told him that I shouldnt have to pay more to get this done right what I've already paid for, and that to get two rims switched out goes for $50 now. The guy says he'd shoot them one more time, gets pissed off, and scoops the rims up and storms off inside. i've never had bad service like this before. So monday, i called up and offered to pay for ONE of the rims to get stripped so it could be done right. The guy says that i should have gotten all 4 done at once, and then that he cant garuntee they'll be the right color. So today the shop calls, and says they're done. I asked the woman to take them out in the sun to look at them to make sure they're the right color. She calls me back saying they look good, I said i want to make sure they're flat black with no metallic sheen. She said that the guy wasnt going to powder them again, that he cant afford to do that. She says that oh i think you'll like these, and that I should put one set on one side of the car, and the other on the other side. I said to her now why would I do that. Why would i have one color on one side and a different one on the other? I want all 4 wheels done the same color. So she said she'd go talk to the doucehbag i had been deeling with thus far, and call me back, which they havent yet. What am i supposed to say? what am i supposed to do?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Are you bigger than him?

Black
    2001 WS6

lol hes a little more built, but taller

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Time to go to another shop. This guy obviously does NOT know what he is doing. There is a BIG difference between metallic black and flat black. You have the right to go to the BBB and report this guy.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Bbb won't affect shit, gotta put a foot up his butt

Black
    2001 WS6

lol sure if i was 6'2, 210 lbs and built, but im 5'6, and 150 lbs. I feel like they're trying to screw me on price. I feel like ive paid 125 for two rims, and since ive already paid, there's nothing i can do, so they feel like they can screw me over till i go somewhere else

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    lol sure if i was 6'2, 210 lbs and built, but im 5'6, and 150 lbs. I feel like they're trying to screw me on price. I feel like ive paid 125 for two rims, and since ive already paid, there's nothing i can do, so they feel like they can screw me over till i go somewhere else
    You're probably right. But, if they rely on referrals and they want to stay in business, then they DO NOT want any black marks on the business record. If they already have any issues with other customers, this will hurt them.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The guy sounds like a moron. My brother had a powdercoating business for several years. I used to help him out on occasion and we powdercoated lots of parts for our project cars. It didn't matter if the parts were done all at once or over the course of weeks -- do the same prep, use the same powder, and they come out looking the same. Maybe on textures or some of the oddball stuff you might get some variation, but not on a solid color.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I would just take the 2 rims that you dont like and bring them to another shop. Have them match the 2 that are correct. If they do a good job you found yourself a new powdercoater.

Black
    2001 WS6

well after all that, I went down today, and I had told him again about the flat black. He kept thinking I said satin, which does have a metallic sheen to them, but after the first two rims came out as a flat black, i guess there was some error with the first two. So we straightened everything out, and he's gonna do them in the flat black now. i feel bad cuz of all the negativity but im glad it worked out

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Good to hear Brandon.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm gonna go against everyone here. When you try to half ass something ( doing 4 rims separately and not having them all stripped and re-shot) you reap what you sow. Sorry, but IMO this is 100% your fault. I know it's your DD and you can't afford to have the car down so maybe the best thing to do was wait until you could or find other means of transportation until they were finished. I see the shop owners side of it that you can't expect him to just keep shooting these things over and over until you're happy with the color. The correct thing to do was to strip them all and shoot them at the same time. I fault the shop owner too for not refusing to do them any other way.

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    The correct thing to do was to strip them all and shoot them at the same time. I fault the shop owner too for not refusing to do them any other way.
    I agree. It's the only way to have the end-product to be exactly the same. They would've been shot with the same bag of powder and baked for the same amount of time.

I had my stock CBR wheels stripped and ground smooth, the powder-coated gloss black (they were matte to start)... and the guy did a fantastic job. Took him a little over a week to do, and it cost me $225. I wish he hung around . He got sick of Massachusetts and moved back to NY.

Thread Information