Black
    2001 WS6

possible change at work..what do yall think

I've got a pretty sweet job, i wont deny. It doesnt pay an astronomical amount, but for now it pays the bills. Im a security guard at a private community. I work 12 hours a day, 6-6. 36 hours one week, 48 the next. I pretty much work every other day. The community where im at is an upscale community with million $ homes. Theyve been suffering economically for a while now, letting staff members go, trying to cut corners where they can.

So then it comes down to the security guards. There's two of us here, working every other day. I get a call from my district supervisor yesterday on my day off, saying how the community is going to go "in house". Which means, they'll use people that are employed through the community, because they also have a country club n whatnot. So then my dist. supervisor says here are your options.

option 1. They keep you, you are no longer employed through the security company. They may up your pay, they may keep it the same, or they may decrease your pay. (in addition to this, keeping in mind their economic troubles, they could let me go at any time if they need to save money).

option 2- stay with the company. I'll get transferred to this site in scottsdale- 45 minutes away. I'll get a raise, 2.50/hr. I'll get a garunteed 40 hours a week, and then every other week, an extra shift of pure overtime. 8 hours. BUT- here's the catch. I'd be working nights. so I'd work 2 nights a week, 10pm to 6am, and then both sat AND sunday 12 hours each day. So he gave me a couple days to think about it, and the place where im at now hasnt approached me with an offer yet. What would you guys do? I'm pretty much going to go with the company, but i hate how i'd have to work nights, and work both days every weekend.

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    Theyve been suffering economically for a while now, letting staff members go, trying to cut corners where they can.

option 1. They keep you, you are no longer employed through the security company. They may up your pay, they may keep it the same, or they may decrease your pay. (in addition to this, keeping in mind their economic troubles, they could let me go at any time if they need to save money).
    If they're cutting the security company contract to save money,

1.) why would they add an employee to their payroll

and more importantly...

2.) why would they increase your pay?

I'm assuming the security company profits along with paying your salary, so I could possibly see that as a savings to the community if they cut out the profit portion and pay you directly. You have to look at the benefits you'll lose/gain as well.

2011 Prius

I am both D&G certified, with Carbine and Shotgun... I would also keep in mind insurance in case I had to take action on a someone or something. The company probably already has insurance in place, the community more then likely does not.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Power View Post
    If they're cutting the security company contract to save money,

1.) why would they add an employee to their payroll

and more importantly...

2.) why would they increase your pay?

I'm assuming the security company profits along with paying your salary, so I could possibly see that as a savings to the community if they cut out the profit portion and pay you directly. You have to look at the benefits you'll lose/gain as well.
    In Florida for like jobs, you may get $10-13 an hour. The company charges $20-25 an hour. They have there profit plus insurance for all contractors (Most of you have to buy your own gear). Sometimes the community will hire you straight on for $13-16 an hour and save money (but no insurance and greater risk if you take action).

If you have some connections or some years under the belt, look into Executive Protection, pays more and bit more fun.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

Im gonna side with SHines-IT on this one. Obviously since your current company is willing to work with you to keep you, that means they like you and you will have more space to barter for days off/pay etc once things settle down. Yeah the increased distance sucks and working weekends sucks and the overnights suck BUT on the upside, it is 2.50/hr more, it's gaining you "wiggle room" with the company you're with now and overnights can be cool. When I work them (911 Dispatch) I get the entire day to get stuff done around the house, wash n wax the Z, plenty of sleep becasue everyone else is at work and can't bother you as much....It's ultimately up to you and you gotta go with what works better for your life but if you have a guarenteed spot and a guarenteed raise.....i'd personally go with that and tell them that if a site becomes available that's closer to you that you would want to be transfered there. If ya got a good thing going now, stick with it. Best of Luck!

2011 Prius

Working nights does suck... Sucks if your in a relationship or have a life. You will need to try and plain yours days so you still have a social life. Yes, either way you will still be working when all your friends are having fun. But try to be asleep when they are working/school. Your time off hopefully they will just be getting off work/school. It would take time to get a good schedule and over the suck period.

Black
    2001 WS6

Yea, where we are its not armed. When i was training for another site, there was a guy goin through the same thing, and he told me that where you may get like 10/hr from the company, it actually costs the property like 30/hr because alot of it goes to the company. Thats how i can see the property upping pay, because you have that gap between $10/hr and $30/hr. BUT, if they decide to make cutbacks, i'd be the first to go. I've talked to my fiance about it, and she doesnt like the fact that two nights out of the week I wouldnt be in bed next to her, but this wouldnt be a permenant thing. I think im going to try to start getting things on track for real estate/ leasing agent jobs in the area. i know i'd be making $2.50/hr more with the new job, but if i could get into something more career oriented, that would be even better. Neither me nor my gf have any real friends out here. Sure we have people we hang out with once in a while, but no one that we could have over whenever or go out with whenever.

2011 Prius

I may try and get a job at the Nuclear Power plant, shit pays good! But unsure about it, I enjoy working for my self and became use to it... I have family who owns there own security company and if I need extra money I work for them for about $15 an hour. But my main source of income is from my own companies. But being with out heath care sucks and want to go to school for something. But mean time would love a line of work that will give me heath care... I have done a few security jobs where you walk around unarmed and it sucks. Being in Orlando there is also no safe area and with that type of job really like the comfort of a gun. Since guns are so easily to get in Florida, your enemy probably has one also.

Thread Information