Black
    2001 WS6

possible career change?

I have the possibility to become a real estate agent. It's gonna cost $1200 or so, and 6 weeks of training, but at the end of it I'd be an agent. I had already planned to get into the school over the summer, but just browsing around online one day I took this century 21 career quize. It came back saying i'd be a good candidate. So a few hours later a gentleman called me wanting me to come in later this week. So yesterday I went in and talked to him, and he explained the process of everything. Basically, you earn as hard as you work. It sounds like an expensive, yet promising move. I'd eventually have to leave the job that im at, which is my safety net. It's a risk, and I've never had to rely on myself in a sense like this. I've never had to rely on selling myself to make a living. While I think I'm good at talking to people, I've never had to do it in a serious matter on trying to sell people on things. I told the guy what kind of thinker I am, I'll research the hell out of what I like or whatever's the issue at hand. He wanted to sign me up for the schooling right then but I told him I'd get back to him wednesday. He must have liked something in me enough to want me to get started right then, right? What do you guys think? Seriously

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I think having a backup skill set is always a good idea. Even if you just dabble in RE you can have a nice supplemental income.

I got into performing wedding ceremonies a few years back just for extra money and fun but I think when I am closer to retirement I may switch to doing it full time. I am also considering getting into doing funerals and this summer I picker up my first official speaking gig at an area chapel. It is an island community and they seek out guest ministers during the summer months. It will be a nice time for my wife and myself as they invite us for an overnight plus honorarium.

RE will always be valuable whether the market is going up or down. Commissions are good. The work is difficult and requires extremely good people and sales skills if you want to make a lot of money. But you can define your own market and present yourself accordingly.

You may want to spend some time working for other agents to get your feet under you and help figure out the differences between what you learn in training and what happens in the real world.

I have considered getting my RE license as well and may still go after it in a couple of years. It looks like fun. My community is quite depressed right now due to the economy and we lost our local air station recently so I'm going to wait until just before the market turns around...

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

I know too many "unemployed" RE agents. But training is only 2 days a week (6 weeks) and Sat. (around here) so I guess why not go for it..

Black
    2001 WS6

Well starting out where I would be, I'd be working for a broker, with other agents. He told me he works with his agents to get things done, he doesnt just sit behind a desk

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BadBlueBird* View Post
    I know too many "unemployed" RE agents. But training is only 2 days a week (6 weeks) and Sat. (around here) so I guess why not go for it..

Its not a very stable field either. You might go months without selling anything and not have any steady income.

I'm sure he wanted to sign you up right away because he is selling something. I'm sure they would take just about anybody in the school.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    I'm sure he wanted to sign you up right away because he is selling something. I'm sure they would take just about anybody in the school.
    This.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

worst home sales in years.
    no brainer, home sales are in the tank, and going to stay there for a good while, no one in their right mind would sign up to sell houses when there ain't no one buyin houses.

ya need to be in the repo business, evicting those non paying home owners.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. Part of his job is probably recruiting for the company.

But, if you feel it's something you might enjoy doing, I say go for it. But, as mentioned, RE is not at it's highest point at this time. Hopefully that will change soon though.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

My mom actually just took this class as something to do on the side when she retires. She told me that half the class was people who were taking the class for the 2nd or 3rd time. Half of those people failed the final test again and some where college graduates with masters. If you fail your required to retake the class over again and that can be $400-$1000 depending on where you live. Once you pass that you still have to go take the state exams.

She told me that unless you got alot of free time to donate to this class then your just wasting your time. She felt like it was 2 semesters worth of classes condensed into 6 weeks. Which I checked with the local community college and thats exactly what they do, its broken down into multiple classes over 2 semesters.

These schools are a business and they make it out like anyone can do them but unless you are seriously dedicated to it then expect a rough 4 -6 weeks.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

Friday - I had a phone message left on my machine, wanting me to come in for an interview.

I'm a toolmaker, I set up and operate CNC equipment, grinders are my gig, but I also know CNC milling machines, CNC lathes, CNC wire EDM machines.
    my whole career. 25 yrs worth of tool making.
    anything from medical implants such as knee replacements, hip replacements, shoulders, ankles spine to beverage container systems such as Coors Brewing, Anheuser Busch, Pepsi, Coca-Cola to fuel tanks for Ford, or fue injection systems for Ford or power window mechinisms for GM, catylitic converters for GM, radiator headers for GM, pulley covers for John Deere or oven door liners for Whirlpool.

anyways, this cutter grinding place called me Friday, wants to interview.
    way back in the fall they posted a help wanted ad for part time help.
    I interviewed back then but they never returned with an offer. . . . . .

I make a relatively high hourly rate, for part time I'd help them for $17/HR.
    which is considerably less than my normal rate at my night time job.

Back in the fall I would've helped 'em for $17/hr. Now I'm thinking closer to the $20-$22/hr mark. which is still way less than my night job. . . .

who knows - I am wanting a new Harley Street Glide, a little work and TADA, paid for. . .

Thread Information