Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Police officer went too far.

Yesterday my friend was driving down the 408 east west expressway and was speeding. He deserved a speeding ticket without question for going 15 over (speed limit is 65). He knows he deserved it but here is where it gets good. The cop tells him that he had to pace my friend at 92 MPH. My friend says he had cruise set at 80 so there is no way he was going above that. Next up is the really messed up part. With his girlfriend in the car the cop asks my friend if he has a pocket knife on him, after my friend said no the cop handed him his and made my friend get out of his car on the side of a highway and scrape off his sherrifs decal on his rear window. MADE HIM do it. Defacing his car on the side of one of the most dangerous expressways in FL. More on the developing story later.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

What kind of sheriff's decal? And was the cop a city or sheriff?

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Yesterday my friend was driving down the 408 east west expressway and was speeding. He deserved a speeding ticket without question for going 15 over (speed limit is 65). He knows he deserved it but here is where it gets good. The cop tells him that he had to pace my friend at 92 MPH. My friend says he had cruise set at 80 so there is no way he was going above that. Next up is the really messed up part. With his girlfriend in the car the cop asks my friend if he has a pocket knife on him, after my friend said no the cop handed him his and made my friend get out of his car on the side of a highway and scrape off his sherrifs decal on his rear window. MADE HIM do it. Defacing his car on the side of one of the most dangerous expressways in FL. More on the developing story later.
    if the laws in FL say you can't have a sticker on the back window of a passenger vehicle did he go too far??? he COULD have had the vehicle towed... that would cost bigtime!

EDIT:

FL law:
    No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, side wings, or side or rear windows of such vehicle which materially obstructs, obscures, or impairs the driver’s clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.

red
    2000 Z28

A LEO handed a weapon to someone he detained? Your friend is BS'ing you.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

This story sounds fabricated and why would your friend have a sheriff decal on his window? Is he trying to pretend he's a sheriff?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    it is just like what happens here when you have something on your car that you shouldn't have. they will give you the option to either take it off or have the car towed because it is not "road worthy" as per state law.

if you get pulled over for window tint if the cop gives you the option to either pull off the tint on the side of the road or have the car towed (at your expense) what are you going to do? darn tootin' you are going to rip off the tint.... in the op's case the cop was even NICE enough to give his friend a tool to help get the sticker off.... these kids just don't understand or even know how to tell a story so it is clear.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

No kidding. It's the cops fault if someone is breaking state law yet the cop is nice enough to assist the person in dealing with it the easiest way for them. And then they bitch and complain. Pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    it is just like what happens here when you have something on your car that you shouldn't have. they will give you the option to either take it off or have the car towed because it is not "road worthy" as per state law.

if you get pulled over for window tint if the cop gives you the option to either pull off the tint on the side of the road or have the car towed (at your expense) what are you going to do? darn tootin' you are going to rip off the tint.... in the op's case the cop was even NICE enough to give his friend a tool to help get the sticker off.... these kids just don't understand or even know how to tell a story so it is clear.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

No its a "I support local law enforcement sticker" on the lower part of the windshield. To be honest its not even visible inside the car. And I know its not BS about him handing him the knife because 2 people were with him when it happened. Here is a photo of a Mustang similar to his:

It is on the part that is black (tinted I assume). The sticker was no bigger than our remotes to open our cars.
    Last edited by JHayesLS1; 04-13-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Awaiting Activation

if the laws in FL say you can't have a sticker on the back window of a passenger vehicle did he go too far??? he COULD have had the vehicle towed... that would cost bigtime!

EDIT:

FL law:
    No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, side wings, or side or rear windows of such vehicle which materially obstructs, obscures, or impairs the driver’s clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.
    Read the rest of what you bolded before you try to look like a badass internet lawyer.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

EDIT:

FL law:
    Yeah, def was not obstructing anyones view. Like I said it was a very small decal. I don't keep anything on mine because I think it is ugly, but I wasn't aware of the law Krese, thanks for the info. I guess I've seen so many people driving around with team logo's, car club banners and stuff all over the windows I never thought it was a problem.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    Read the rest of what you bolded before you try to look like a badass internet lawyer.
    hey, the COP is the one who gets to decide. that is why i did that... if you don't get that point it's not my fault. if the cop wants to give you shit because you have a sticker on your back window and he says it obstructs the view are you going to win the argument?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

The COP should of issued him a ticket for it then if he had reasonable belief to make him get out of his car and scrape it off on the expressway in the middle of the day.

Red
    06 GTO

seems like alot is missing out of this story, but could be wrong.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

The COP should of issued him a ticket for it then if he had reasonable belief to make him get out of his car and scrape it off on the expressway in the middle of the day.

then your friend should have said he didn't want to scrape it off. what is the cop going to do? pull his gun on him and make him do it at gun point? no, i really doubt it.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

No he wouldn't, but you don't want to be disrespectful either.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

No he wouldn't, but you don't want to be disrespectful either.
    i agree but i guess one could respectfully inform the officer that since the road is very busy that it is not exactly safe to get out just to pull off a small sticker and that it would be a better option to fight it in court. that gives the officer the option to either write the ticket or what ever else he feels needs to be done.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I find to believe that the officer will take the risk and liability of someone getting hit on the side of the road for something stupid as that. But there are some cops out there that will do this without thinking. Majority of the time you get pulled over they get mad as hell if you get out of the car because of the same reason.

If this happened to me i will explained him that in no way im getting out of the car to scrape the sticker in a highway. That is an unsafe practice and that he is talking a huge the liability for it. I personally prefer to get the ticket and fight it in court vs getting hit by a vehicle. You can always request him that you will like a supervisor to respond to the scene. If it goes bad get the patrol car number and name of the officer and go to the FHP office and report him. Thats my opinion.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 04-13-2011 at 09:12 AM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Here in PA the laws ar substantially different..

Here ALL non factory tint is illegal.

Tint of any kind on the front window is a nono..

Here tho you usually get a 24hr repair/removel ticket..

Which you then have to go to a PA state police barracks or district court/ Maj. Justice to have the fine lifted (if they choose) and prove you obeyed the order..

Here large rear window stickers are okay as long as law enforcement can see into the vehicle from behind..

Many people still run tints myself included.. This will usually prompt law enforcement to approach your vehicle with guns drawn..

Not good, but I'll just pay the ticket or remove it if so ordered..

I never argue with law enforcement..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-13-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

He is going to fill out a formal complaint. Nothing may come of it but I'd hate to be put in that situation myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information